Second Life [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Second Life

tin ear
12-26-2006, 01:12 PM
So, does anyone play on Second Life? http://secondlife.com/

It may be old to some, but I just discovered it yesterday. What it is, is a virtual reality world, pretty much just like in Neal Stephenson's book Snow Crash.

Man, talk about a time waster! If you're looking to lose weight, this may be for you -- I have had to force myself to quit once or twice to eat in the last 24 hours. And sleep? Phht.. fugetaboutit.

Must go now. I just found about money trees. Virtual money, that is.

-j

jrhymeammo
01-01-2007, 07:45 PM
dude....... one of my friends talked me into it about a year ago, and thought that was the stupidest thing on earth. His other recommnedation was Consumating.com If you wanna waste more of your time, I suggest you check it out.

JRA

emorphien
01-02-2007, 07:32 AM
I was curious what all the fuss was about so I downloaded it. I uninstalled it 30 minutes after I installed it :lol:

jrhymeammo
01-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Hey Emo,

you really gotta try Consumating. The site is filled with kids our age who act like they wanna slit their wrists. They'll start threads like "how come I like cookies?" If I stayed on that site for more than 5 minutes, I probably would've wacked myself.

JRA

emorphien
01-02-2007, 07:50 AM
I just looked, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do there

jrhymeammo
01-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Exactly!!

basite
01-02-2007, 09:08 AM
generally (i didn't even bother looking at it) but IMHO, online reality games are for kiddies without friends and their pc as their wife...

but, if he likes it, then well, yeah, he likes it...

Greetings,
Bert.

jrhymeammo
01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
It's as exciting as The Sims: Audiophile Edition

I hope you are not feeling offended, Tin Ear.

jra

ForeverAutumn
01-02-2007, 03:09 PM
So I took a quick look at this Second Life thing. It's not for me. But I have a question. When they say that you can buy an island for $1675 US. Is that REAL money? Do people actually pay real cash for stuff on this site?

If so, there really is a sucker born every minute.

emorphien
01-02-2007, 03:12 PM
There are people making a living off of whatever it is they do in Second Life.

When I played with it I just floated around in the air above a bunch of people in a rave. They got mad at me :lol:

tin ear
01-14-2007, 03:12 PM
It's as exciting as The Sims: Audiophile Edition

I hope you are not feeling offended, Tin Ear.

jra
Naw. Not at all, JR. I think it is a hoot, but whatever...

So I took a quick look at this Second Life thing. It's not for me. But I have a question. When they say that you can buy an island for $1675 US. Is that REAL money? Do people actually pay real cash for stuff on this site?

BINGO!
There are people buying things there, thus there are people selling things there as well. :ihih:

noddin0ff
01-14-2007, 05:09 PM

approximately 250 Linden Dollars (L$) to the US Dollar. I was reading an article that talked about actually letting the fake money float on real currency markets...frightnening.

tin ear
01-14-2007, 05:51 PM
approximately 250 Linden Dollars (L$) to the US Dollar. I was reading an article that talked about actually letting the fake money float on real currency markets...frightnening.

Upwards of $1,000,000 (that's one million US$) are spent there each day!

If you have something to sell there, well...

jrhymeammo
01-14-2007, 05:59 PM
I remember people there were always shooting at me, Always!!

they were also Elitest Jerks.

ForeverAutumn
01-14-2007, 08:24 PM
I remember people there were always shooting at me, Always!!

they were also Elitest Jerks.

:idea: Maybe you should try selling bullets there. At least you can make some money while the Elitist Jerks try to kill you. :lol:

Delko
01-14-2007, 10:59 PM
:idea: Maybe you should try selling bullets there. At least you can make some money while the Elitist Jerks try to kill you. :lol:

Lol. Nice suggest :D

basite
01-15-2007, 12:52 PM
actually, that might just be a good thing about it (trust me, every game has a good point)

but, it was on a programme on tv a few days ago, and it seems that in germany there was a person, who had about a million real dollars made out of the game, by selling houses that don't exist (kinda like real-estate, but only it's in the game) people, isn't that a little crazy, making money by selling things that don't exist...

I mean,
forget ebay scams, play second life...

not that it's a good game, but, it's a game that pays you...

Greetings,
Bert.

tin ear
01-15-2007, 01:51 PM
but, it was on a programme on tv a few days ago, and it seems that in germany there was a person, who had about a million real dollars made out of the game, by selling houses that don't exist (kinda like real-estate, but only it's in the game) people, isn't that a little crazy, making money by selling things that don't exist...

Well, I'll agree -- kind of. Buying things that don't exist may be crazy. Selling those things is crazy... like a fox.

And to wax philosophical, what is existence anyway? How many of the five senses does something have to stimulate to be considered real? All of them? Certainly not! I can hear music, but I can't smell, taste, see, or touch it (OK I can feel it if it's loud enough, but that's not the music itself; it's the sound waves from the music -- I can still hear it if it's not loud enough to feel).

I can hear and see what's going on in a virtual world. Others can see & hear the same things I do, at the same time, thereby validating my experience as pretty "real." So that's two senses that this "non-real" world stimulates -- one more than music does.

Music is real, isn't it?

ForeverAutumn
01-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey tin ear, I've got some virtual swamp land for sale. It'll be worth a fortune some day. I swear! You interested?

tin ear
01-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Hey tin ear, I've got some virtual swamp land for sale. It'll be worth a fortune some day. I swear! You interested?

I might be willing to flog it fer ya... for a fee. :D

jrhymeammo
01-16-2007, 11:19 PM

So that was you, I knew it!!!!!! You EJ.

While sitting at the Dallas Airport , CNN showed a small segment on Second Life. Looks like companies are now advertising on the game... One of my friends was telling me that some companies are now requesting applicants' MySpace pages to get a better idea of them.... kinda makes sense. Could Second Life be next?
I would never get a job if employers check my activities here....

tin ear
01-17-2007, 07:45 AM
Another good reason for me to think of My Space as an instrument of Satan.

ForeverAutumn
01-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Blogger gets 'don't cease-and-desist' letter for his satire of 'Second Life'
Wed Jan 24, 7:07 PM

By Peter Svensson

NEW YORK (AP) - A lawyer for the virtual world "Second Life" has responded to a parody with something that's quite different from the usual corporate cease-and-desist letter.

Vancouver-based blogger Darren Barefoot had put up a one-page site, GetAFirstLife.com, that imitates the look of SecondLife.com but promotes a real-life existence, where you can work, reproduce and perish - all for free.

The site purports to answer frequently asked questions such as "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?" That's a dig at "Second Life," where users with sufficient skill in three-dimensional modelling can build almost anything. The site includes a logo that's a modified version of Second Life's logo.

With a link, Barefoot invited cease-and-desist letters, the type lawyers often send threatening lawsuits if a site doesn't pull down objectionable material.

Sunday's note from Ginsu Yoon, a lawyer for Second Life, started out with the legalese of a standard nastygram - Internet slang for a cease-and-desist letter - but went on to say that "your invitation to submit a cease-and-desist letter is hereby rejected."

Second Life representative Alex Yenni confirmed the note, delivered as a comment on Barefoot's blog, was authentic.

"Linden Lab objects to any implication that it would employ lawyers incapable of distinguishing such obvious parody," Yoon wrote. "Linden Lab is well-known for having strict hiring standards, including a requirement for having a sense of humour, from which our lawyers receive no exception."

The note even gives Barefoot a "nonexclusive, nontransferable, nonsublicenseable, revocable, limited license" to use the modified logo on T-shirts he sells.

Barefoot, whose day job is promoting software companies, wrote on his blog that the letter was an "enormous credit" to the company. He writes that he doesn't hate "Second Life," but has been amused by the amount of hype and attention the world has attracted.