Squeezebox review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox review

icarus
12-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Well I recently picked up a squeezebox so here is my review on it... when you open the box it has everything you need, even the batteries for the remote, when setting it up all it needed was to be hooked up and have the internet password and off you go, I had it up and running before my computer was even turned on. :ihih:
For accessing the thousands of online radio stations it is idiot proof, its all catagorized alphabetically. I was actually pleasantly suprised with the sound quality, it is not record quality but definately CD quality...
The only complaints I would have with it, is that there are maybe too many channels to choose from, for example in just alternative there are almost 750 channels to choose from. :incazzato:
I have yet to stream the music i have on my computer to it, so I don't know how well that works yet.

In conclusion, for the 300 bucks it cost it is most definitely worth the money and I would reccomend it to anyone who loves music.:cornut:

mlsstl
12-26-2006, 07:48 PM
I also have a SB3 and really enjoy it. I've hardly used the internet radio beyond some casual experimentation, but with most internet radio streamed at probably no more than 128Kb/sec, the mediocre sound quality is hardly surprising.

I mainly use mine to stream from my computer. I've ripped my CD collection (and converted most of my LPs) to a hard drive using the lossless FLAC format. The sound quality is easily the equal of my NAD C542 CD player, and that is using the built-in DAC of the SB3. One of my goals is to get a better outboard DAC when the budget permits, but things are eminently listenable right now.

I'd put the Squeezebox in the "incredible value" category.

Mike Anderson
12-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Congratulations.

IMHO, the Squeezebox is the greatest music-related gadget to come along since the iPod. It has completely changed the way I listen to music. And with all the new music I hear on Internet radio, my musical horizons have expanded enormously. I used to search high and low for stuff that I can now discover any time I like.

emorphien
12-26-2006, 10:56 PM
I really want one of these, even though it wouldn't really fit anywhere on my audio rack

Ryukyu
12-28-2006, 02:45 PM
These sound really sweet.
Does anyone have any comments for comparison between this and the Roku Soundbridge?

recoveryone
01-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I must echo all of the statements above about the Squeezebox3. And what I have found out about the internet radio station is to find one that is HD. Big diffirence from the other streaming stations. I found 2 I like on the radio time service. But I would recommed that if you are planning to get one make sure you are computer/network savy. Mine connected like a dream, but I read too many stories (On their site forum) about network and other computer related problems.

One more note when ripping or D/L music make sure its above 148kpbs (bit rate) the higher the better the files will sound. Lossless(format) is the best, but takes up more drive space. So sticking with Mp3's with a higher bit rate you will not be disappointed.