Fronts and center channel for a college apartment. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fronts and center channel for a college apartment.

DelSi
12-25-2006, 05:24 PM
I am looking to replace the bose speakers I’ve been using with the beginnings of a surround sound system. I have a sony DTS receiver. I would like to start with a decent sounding center channel and left and right front channel speakers. I’m a poor college student though. So, I can only afford something in the $250-350 range. The room is small. I think it is 13x13. Does anyone have any suggestions?

elapsed
12-26-2006, 03:37 AM
For college students in a small space on a limited budget, your best bet is Logitech Z-5500 speakers ($288 on Amazon). This is a full surround system.

On the other hand, if you're looking to build up slowly, I might suggest a pair of Axiom M3 bookshelf speakers, and then later an Axiom VP100 center channel.

elapsed
12-26-2006, 03:50 AM
Also I haven't auditionned these myself, but you could pick up a pair of SVS SBS-01 speakers plus an SVS SCS-01 center for $400.

DelSi
12-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the responses. I will have to look into those. Is there anyone in the Nashville/Murfreesboro area of Tennessee that knows of a good place to go audition speakers?

DelSi
12-31-2006, 02:37 PM
So, I listened to as many speakers as I could find in my price range. I decided the Polk RTi4s and the CTi3 were the best. I haven't set them up yet 'cause I'm still at my rents house, but I'm pretty excited about getting bck the the apartment. Thanks again for the help.

bobsticks
01-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Congrats DelSi. It was about the time that I switched from HTIBs to real speaks that I really became interested in the hobby. Feel free to ask any set-up questions and let us know when yer ready to move up the food chain (it'll happen). Have fun and enjoy the tunes.