the next naive question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : the next naive question

cashlz
02-11-2004, 03:40 AM
as it is i have one coax input on my receiver and my dvd is run to that. My digital cable box has a coax output that i would like to hook up as well. Can that be split? And will any ol' splitter do? Thanks so much...... again

markw
02-11-2004, 04:02 AM
A splitter, assuming they have one for these, would do you no good. Splitters are good for taking one output and feeding it to two inputs. What you suggest here is using a splitter to combine two different outputs into one input. Won't work here. Mebbe for RF when combining an FM antenna with a VHF antenna for a single downlead, but not here.

Two suggestions.

1) If you have an unused toslink input on your receiver and your DVD allows use of one, use toskink for your DVD and use the only coax input for your cable box. FWIW, this is the ONLY time I'd ever consider toslink for anything. Coax is just as good unless long runs and electricical noise are an issue, which is extermely rare.

Cost.. one toslink cable and some time reading your owners manual.

2) A converter to convert one type of signal to the other. See supplied link for an example. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=17549481&St=2230&St2=-68317958&St3=-31948205&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=16150&DID=7

Cost.. 16.75 + shipping + toslink cable + coaxial cable

Your choice...

skeptic
02-11-2004, 04:58 AM
You need to buy a coax switch.

jasonzns
08-30-2005, 07:12 AM
Guys i have the same issue. I am pretty sure on my reciever that the digital coax and optical input are on the same channel (dvd channel on reciever).. Will that matter? I guess I wonder if the reciever is going to prefer the digital coax and ignore the optic...
I could connect the cable box via digital coax, and connect the dvd player to the toslink input and just leave the receiver on the same channel all the time and turn off the device that i'm not using?

markw
08-30-2005, 06:21 PM
if not, you may have to buy some kind of a switch. ...maybe even a converter to make them both coaxial.

carracr625
08-31-2005, 08:32 PM
I have the same situation. What I did was use the digi-coax input for the cable box, since this is the only digital output for that source. This input is labled for use as the dvd input on my receiver. Luckily on my ES, it allows me to rename the inputs. I then used the digi-optical input (labeled sat. TV) to hook up the dvd player. Just my 2 cents.