Bic Dv-64 Or Fluance Speaker Package? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bic Dv-64 Or Fluance Speaker Package?

violatr_1977
12-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Happy holidays,

After reading up on a budget hometheater system on this website for quite some time, I decided to go with the following budget home theater (DVD+AVR+5.1 SPKRS):

(All prices are out the door, shipped)

1) DVD: OPPO 971 DVD Player (refurbed): $174 (oppodigital.com)
2) AVR: ONKYO 504 7.1 AVR (refurb): $152 (shoponkyo.com)
3) SPKRS: Fluance AV-SC (center): $56
AV-BP2 (Surrounds): $100
AV-938 towers: $222
(fluance ebay prices)
BIC H100 (sub): $250 (ebay)

Total cost this setup: $954

I have the DVD PLAYER, AVR in stock, the rest are on order as of now.

I happened to be surfing the web today and found this:
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1186&sc=27
Currently out of stock, but i could probably get one soon enough.

Total cost of this setup: $929

I am having second thoughts now... I could have gotten a full BIC speaker package, with new (not refurb like mine) Pioneer Elite components for LESS MONEY!??

BIC has great reviews on the web. The center channel in that package especially. I will be using my setup for 75% movie watching......

Should I return everything and try to find this deal instead???

anamorphic96
12-24-2006, 02:30 PM
YES !!!!!!!! BIC all the way. They have been around for many years and have a good reputation. In fact I think they have been around since the 70's. I could be wrong about that. But definitely the 80's. They are a well respected company. Especially at the price points they sell at.

Fluance gets some good reviews from customers. But they still seem like a company that is slightly better then white van speakers you hear about.

violatr_1977
12-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Do you have any experience with any of the BIC speakers in the package? The center channel is known to be good, so I'm sure of that, but what about the surrounds, mains, and especially - what about the sub? The BIC H100 that I was planning on getting with my fluance package is known to be very good for the money. There is some benefit to me of getting all speakers of the same set, all bics for example, a sene of security and that things will be matched perfectly (though i question the need for this when it comes to a subwoofer).

With regards to Fluance speakers, while I have not read one bad review (other than those who badmouth it based on the fact that they are not a big player), they don't seem to have the kind of general, consistent and widespread support that BIC seems to get. I don't think they are "white van" speakers though, CNET has reviewed them, as have some other 3rd party, 'unbiased' companies.

EDIT: AND ANYONE HAVE REVIEWS ON THE AVR OR DVD PLAYER IN HERE?

YES !!!!!!!! BIC all the way. They have been around for many years and have a good reputation. In fact I think they have been around since the 70's. I could be wrong about that. But definitely the 80's. They are a well respected company. Especially at the price points they sell at.

Fluance gets some good reviews from customers. But they still seem like a company that is slightly better then white van speakers you hear about.

anamorphic96
12-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Yes I have heard several models. Primarily the DV62 and DV84 and the matching center channel. For the money they cant be touched. There is also modifications available for the center and bookshelf model. Which apparently make them even better. Have not heard any of there subs. But the H100 gets alot of praise and is supposed to be quite good for the price. I think it even gets down to about 25hz. Thats pretty deep bass for not alot of money.

After looking a little closer I would skip the Pioneer componets. I dont even think there made anyomore. You can also find other places such as Amazon that sell the BIC's.

kexodusc
12-24-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't know Fluance all that well. I do know the modified Bic speakers that Ed Frias of EFE Technology offers. IF you decide to go with Bic, the EFE mods are the way to go. They are a steal. If you go with Bic, seek out Mr. Frias' mods. Good value. I use to own the modified DV62CLRS, it replaced a Paradigm Studio CC, and while not quite as good, it was damn close. I've compared a pair of them with respected Paradigm Monitor 5's, and they performed favorably. In my opinion better, but certainly a good value.
Ed actually tolerance matches all the crossover components and all the drivers in all the speakers he sells. You don't get that level precision in any speaker I've heard of below $1000. Nice bonus.

Of course, there are other speakers out there. It's always nice (and advisable) to listen to a speaker before buying. Get out and start auditioning some models.

JDaniel
12-29-2006, 05:46 PM
I too have the Ed Frias modified DV62s and DV52s, and think they are an excellent bargain. I've since added BIC in-ceiling speakers too. They aren't in the same class, but for surrounds do their job admirably.

JD

Worf101
01-02-2007, 04:44 AM
I've owned BIC speakers and feel that they're outstanding budget speakers that really, can't be beat for the money. Fluance, are white van speakers that have been around for years. Go BIC.

Da Worfster

recoveryone
01-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm not up on either product, but will tell you this which ever you go with get the whole set (FCRS) that way you have better chance of getting speaker that match in phase. Mix-matching just will lead to more confusion, and poor performace. Which will not be any one of the sepakers fault, but just a poor fit with the others.