Need LCD advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need LCD advice

ForeverAutumn
12-24-2006, 09:20 AM
I've decided to replace our 12 year old RCA TV with a 40" LCD. However, it's been so long since I've had to shop for a TV and the technology is so incredibly different now, that I have no idea what features are important to have. And the prices have such huge swings to them. Best Buy's web site has three different 40" Samsungs listed that range in price from $1699 to $2499. Then you can jump to 46" for only $300 more at $2799. Or you can pay $3699 for a 46". I'm not suggesting that I want a Samsung, I'm just using that as an example since there are so many different models.

For a neophyte like me, it's all very confusing.

Aside from picture quality. What features should I be looking for? We'll be watching mostly TV shows and sports on this TV. But movies will also be a priority.

elapsed
12-24-2006, 11:24 AM
A few questions to get you started:

1. What is your viewing distance?
2. What is your lighting environment?
3. What model AV receiver do you own?
4. What are your sources (e.g. Upconverting DVD Player, HD Cable Box, etc)
5. Do you plan on purchasing HD DVD or Blu-Ray in the near future?
6. Is this set primarily for TV, movies, sports?
7. What is your budget?

Happy holidays!

ForeverAutumn
12-25-2006, 10:58 PM
A few questions to get you started:

1. What is your viewing distance?
About five or six feet.

2. What is your lighting environment?
Usually pretty dark. A couple of table lamps in the room, that's it. The room gets late afternoon sun when we usually have to close the curtains, if the TV is on, because of the glare.

3. What model AV receiver do you own?
Will I sound dumb if I say that I don't understand the question? Is this the same receiver that all of my components run through? It's a JVC receiver, but I'd have to dig a little to find the actual model number.

4. What are your sources (e.g. Upconverting DVD Player, HD Cable Box, etc)
Right now just a standard cable box, but we'll upgrade to an HD box once the TV is in place.

5. Do you plan on purchasing HD DVD or Blu-Ray in the near future?
Probably not right away, but if we upgrade it will be to HD DVD, not Blu-Ray.

6. Is this set primarily for TV, movies, sports?
Primarily TV and Sports. Then music DVDs and movies.

7. What is your budget?
That depends on how much we need to spend to get good quality. I'd say $3,000 CDN tops. If I can keep it under $2,500 that would be better, since we'll also have to buy new furniture to set the TV on top of. I guess that's part of my question...how much do I need to spend?

Happy holidays!
Thanks! Same to you!

elapsed
12-26-2006, 12:09 AM
If you are viewing a 720p source, the ideal set will be 32" at your viewing distance. For a 1080p source the ideal set is 42". I would probably recommend lean towards a 40" set, though your milage may vary of course.

For your lighting environment and viewing habits, both LCD and plasma make excellent choices.

Features I would be looking for are for the ability to accept a 1080p source, multiple HDMI and component inputs, possibly a PC input. You will also want to look at contrast levels, brightness, response time and viewing angle, though for the most part these figures are often inflated so it is difficult to make an informed choice. I would stick to tier-1 manufacturers if budget permits.

Here are some sets you may want to consider (all of which meet your budget). These models all feature 1080p:

- Sharp Aquos 37" LC37D90U (the best 37" LCD on the market, hands down)
- Sony Bravia 40" KDL40V2500
- Sharp Aquos 42" LC42D62U

I'm not partial to the new Samsung 1080p sets, though I love their 32" 720p models.

As for plasma's, here are some excellent sets within your budget. At this size, plasma is actually cheaper to purchase than LCD.

- Panasonic 42" TH42PX60
- Panasonic 42" TH42PX600
- Pioneer 42" PDP-4270HD

ForeverAutumn
12-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks. I'll check those models out. We likely won't be buying until February as I'll be getting a bonus from work then. Unless a really good deal comes up before then. I'm starting to do my research now however, so when the bonus comes I know what I want and don't have to delay making the purchase.

Do you happen to know how these models compare to JVC models?

recoveryone
12-26-2006, 12:14 PM
ELAPSED........did you read what the budget is. you pick out all of the most expensive line he could get.

now for the real world items or location to stay within his means:

TV: Take a look at the Vizio brand LCD most bang for the bucks, he can get a 32- 37" for under 1k
AV: if the current AV unit can do the job (DD/DTS/DPII) no need to change if not look at the starter range of the Yamaha line of Pioneer with these features.

Speakers: from the limited info you gave I assume you have atleast 2 so work you can take your time and build up and upgrade as you grow.

Overall: don't feel you need to get the top of the line gear in every area of your system this venture is a growing field and is ever changing and you will what you like and that is what matter most.

from what I gave you you could get for under 2K and would be happy

elapsed
12-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Do you happen to know how these models compare to JVC models?
Sharp and Sony are the top manufacturers in the LCD market, I haven't had an opportunity to audition a JVC LCD. Consumer Reports rates them very highly. Quite honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a JVC LCD here in Vancouver.

In any case, JVC is most well known for their D-ILA Rear Projection LCoS sets, which are absolutely phenonimal.

elapsed
12-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Take a look at the Vizio brand LCD most bang for the bucks, he can get a 32- 37" for under 1k
I recommended the top sets available for their budget. The video processing in these models is superior to that in a Vizio and the picture quality is noticably better. This isn't to say the Vizio isn't a good pick, but to each their own. Seeing as ForeverAutumn is a audiophile and has a $3,000 budget for a new set, I assume they are looking for a high quality set and are not looking for the most bang for their buck in a $1,000 China Manufactured LCD.

recoveryone
12-26-2006, 12:24 PM
the brand I mention was VIZIO not JVC

elapsed
12-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Scroll up recoveryone, ForeverAutumn was inquring about JVC sets just a few minutes ago. I've added quotes so that you can follow the thread. :)

recoveryone
12-26-2006, 12:26 PM
the budget was $2500 for the whole set up not just for the TV and VIZIO is made and sold here in California

recoveryone
12-26-2006, 12:27 PM
I C sorry

elapsed
12-26-2006, 12:47 PM
VIZIO is made and sold here in California
Vizio LCD manufacturing is 100% outsourced to Taiwan and China.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/money/homepage/article_1295013.php
http://english.www.gov.tw/TaiwanHeadlines/index.jsp?categid=9&recordid=93623

the budget was $2500 for the whole set up not just for the TV
The $2,500 budget is for the TV + stand (not for receiver and speakers as well), scroll up and take a read ;)

edtyct
12-26-2006, 01:54 PM
A couple of years ago, I spent a little time with a 26" JVC LCD flat panel. It had the typical shortcomings (at least from a certain point of view) of its technology, but it was unbelievably sharp, nearly three-dimensional. Some of this impression was due to the small size of the screen, but, nonetheless, it looked significantly sharper than its competition at the time. I ended up recommending it. I can't say whether the JVCs continue to emphasize this characteristic, but those of you who get excited by detail and depth of field might take a look at the JVCs. But remember that a panel's capacity to reveal these traits could well be impaired by its settings on a showroom floor.

ForeverAutumn
12-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks everyone. A few points to clarify.

My $2500 - $3000 budget is for the TV and stand and, hopefully, the HD Cable box. Although the cable box can be purchased on top of the $3,000 budget if needed.

I do want to purchase from a major manufacturer. I'm not willing to sacrifice quality to save a few bucks. I've learned the hard way that that can be more expensive in the long run.

I have all of the other components, including a surround sound system which we custom built (i.e. it's not a box set). It's not my dream system. But given the small size of the room and the budget that we had to work with at the time, I'm happy with it.

The reason that I was asking about JVC models is that I have access to an employee discount. But sometimes a good sale on another make can outweigh the discount. Or JVC may not have a specific feature that I want. So, I will look at other makes and often purchase other makes, but I always include JVC products in my research.

I didn't think of checking Consumer Reports. Thanks for the reminder elapsed. I'll read the reports later this week.

elapsed
12-26-2006, 04:05 PM
After doing some research, I believe JVC LCD panels are manufactured by Sharp or Samsung, depending on the model. JVC certainly gets solid ratings.

ForeverAutumn
12-27-2006, 08:27 PM
After doing some research, I believe JVC LCD panels are manufactured by Sharp or Samsung, depending on the model. JVC certainly gets solid ratings.

I'm not sure what led you to think that JVC LCDs are manufactured by someone else, but I have confirmed that JVC manufactures all of their own products.

elapsed
12-27-2006, 10:08 PM
According to DisplaySearch, the following are the top seven LCD TV module makers and a list of their top five customers.

1. LPL - Phillips, LGE, Panasonic, Toshiba, Amtran.
2. Samsung - Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, JVC, Sanyo
3. AUO - Samsung, Philips, Toshiba, Panasonic, LGE
4. CMO - Funai, Xoceco, Westinghouse, Proview, TTE
5. Sharp - Sharp, Philips, JVC, Mitsubishi, Panasonic
6. CPT - Philips, Funai, Konka, Samsung, TPV
7. QDI - Sharp, Philips

Many LCD TV brands such as Dell, Grundig, HP, Polaroid, Relysis, Vizio, ViewSonic, Westinghouse and Syntax-Brillian outsource 100% of their LCD TV set manufacturing.

manhattanproj
12-27-2006, 11:17 PM
just to bug in a bit and ask a few questions.

how about samsung? samsung should definitely be up there with sony and sharp, i think. its image quality is pretty good.

what about brands like pioneer, panasonic, and philips? how are there lcd-tv?

ForeverAutumn
12-28-2006, 05:57 AM
According to DisplaySearch, the following are the top seven LCD TV module makers and a list of their top five customers.

1. LPL - Phillips, LGE, Panasonic, Toshiba, Amtran.
2. Samsung - Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, JVC, Sanyo
3. AUO - Samsung, Philips, Toshiba, Panasonic, LGE
4. CMO - Funai, Xoceco, Westinghouse, Proview, TTE
5. Sharp - Sharp, Philips, JVC, Mitsubishi, Panasonic
6. CPT - Philips, Funai, Konka, Samsung, TPV
7. QDI - Sharp, Philips

Many LCD TV brands such as Dell, Grundig, HP, Polaroid, Relysis, Vizio, ViewSonic, Westinghouse and Syntax-Brillian outsource 100% of their LCD TV set manufacturing.

Thanks for that info. I'll pass it on to my JVC contact who told me that they manufacture all their own products. He's not on the sales or manufacturing side of the business, so he may not know that they are using other suppliers. It's probably not something that they want to advertise.

GMichael
12-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Hi FA,

I don't know who makes the best LCD's and all, but I do own a couple of JVC products. I have found them to be very dependable, quality items. But the manual? It was easier to just figure it out on my own.

edtyct
12-28-2006, 06:47 AM
The fact that a company outsources elements and assembly to save money doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't have a major hand in the design or part selection/manufacturing. Two products that overlap in some of the fundamentals will not necessarily show the same performance or share the same design path. One of my favorite vignettes is that at least one Blu-ray DVD player uses some Toshiba parts.