Replacing a Bose 321 GSII [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a Bose 321 GSII

mmorowitz
12-23-2006, 09:00 PM
I have a Bose 321 GSII. I really like the sound it provides in the small space I'm using it in. I've got the speakers nicely mounted to the wall with the cables running behind the wall to the unit. As far as the audio is concerned, I really like this system.

Unfortunately, the DVD player and the options within the receiever itself are very poor and severely limited. It doesn't read DVDs well and they often get stuck.

To make a long story short, I'd like to replace the receiver/DVD unit but keep the speaker system (acoustimass module + two speakers). I feel kinda "married" to the speakers due to the way they're mounted. Is this possible? Will I be able to put in a new reciever that will have an audio-out that is compatible with the acoustimass module?

If not, and I want to go ahead and replace the whole thing, I'd like to stick with a small 2-speaker system that I can mount on the wall. Is there anything comparable?

Many thanks for your help.

Best,
Michael

elapsed
12-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Unfortunately the Bose 321 GS Series II uses proprietary cabling to connect the Acoustimass module and speakers. If you are looking for an upgrade you will need to replace the full system including speakers. You would also need to run new cabling through the wall.

Bose speakers are not well received on this forum, my best advice would be to count your loses and start fresh.

emorphien
12-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Agreed. You'd be better off starting anew, and if you'd like, mounting some new speakers to the wall (which will almost certainly be better IMO than the Bose speakers).

anamorphic96
12-24-2006, 12:43 AM
Here is a similar replacement option. This combo will completely outperform the Bose and give you the ability to upgrade in the future. Both brands are well respected. The only hitch is the Orb Audio speakers are internet direct. But are returnable if you dont like them.

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=12

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-receivers/L53-DVD/CD-Receiver

Cheers

mmorowitz
12-24-2006, 05:13 AM
Thanks everyone. I've learned my lesson about Bose (the hard way. Initially I was very attracted to it due to the compact construction and two-speaker setup.

I'm perfectly willing to start again and I'll investigate the Orb / NAD option. if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open.

Best,
Michael

AVMASTER
12-24-2006, 08:31 AM
if you really like the 2 channel set-up and want a similiar design with better DVD, functionality, and sound, the Denon S301 is your best possible option
playback for DVD: SACD/ DVDA/ WMA
HDMI output
I-POD input
USB input
140 watt sub
70 watt wall-mountable speakers

basite
12-24-2006, 09:18 AM
or look into a pair of real bookshelves...
like focal's, wharfedale's, B&W, monitor audio,... (tons to follow)

anamorphic96
12-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Keep in mind though that the Denon S 301 has similar proprietary connections as the Bose. If the main unit goes down or breaks in the future the whole system is useless. Other than that the Denon is a great unit.

For complete flexibility. Even more than what the NAD/Orb offers. You might want to just get a simple HT receiver, DVD player and 2.1 speaker system. This would give you the option if one componet craps out you just replace that unit. Instead of the whole system.