Howdy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

70sreject
12-23-2006, 02:44 PM
I came across this site searching the web for info about some of the equipment in my sig. It looks like there are some knowledgeable people whose brains I can pick, so I signed up.
Specifically, I was looking for info on my r9 receiver. It long ago lost the ability to save stations in memory, but I could live w/that. Then it got to where it would work fine at startup and then quit playing after a short while ( I assume when something inside gets hot). After an indeterminate time, it will start playing again. I quit using the whole system out of frustration several years ago. Today, after surfing around for info I fired it up.....sure enough after about 15 minutes it quits. Then while I'm typing this out, it starts up again (and has been playing for quite a while).
As for the Norman Labs, I'd like to find some info about replacement speakers.

Hope this was the proper method of introduction and thanks in advance for any and all info/ideas.Oh, I'm sort of technically challenged as far as things electronic go, so type slow:)

powerlord
12-23-2006, 07:11 PM
I don't know how to solve your problem, being a noob here myself but welcome to a great site,I have learned so much in just a little amount of time.This is a great home if your into A/V

basite
12-24-2006, 02:17 AM
Welcome to AR, to start with...

well, lots of broken toys...
is your yamaha well ventilated? otherwise it's logically it wil overheat.
you say your speakers are blown, it coud have something to do with that too, or the receiver is just wasted too.

searching google, it seems that other people also have the memory-loss problem, can't help you with that, if you want that fixed, i suggest you contact a yamaha repair service, altough it's unlikely that they will fix it... (considering it's age)

for your speakers, if you want to replace them, what budget are you looking at?

Greetings,
Basite.

70sreject
12-24-2006, 07:10 AM
The receiver spent most of it's life in one of those old school Sullivan pressed wood racks w/the glass door, so I'm sure ventilation was a problem in the past. It now resides on a built in bookcase w/what I would assume is adequate ventilation. After my post last night, it worked fine for several hours....this morning it is dead as a doornail again. This is going to come down to what is cost effective. I'd love to resurrect it, but not sure that makes financial sense.

As far as budget, what w /Christmas and some home remodeling going on, I'm afraid the whole listening budget is extremely limited. Not only that but years of abuse(guns, racetracks, and loud rock and roll) have left my ears in such shape that it's really not practical to spend vast amounts of $$$ on something I can't really discern the difference in anyway.

I've seen several posts mentioning DIY speakers and would appreciate any input/recommendations about rebuilding the Norman speakers w/ new internals. If that's possible, from there I will decide what to do about powering them. Or maybe I should shelve this whole idea and look into a surround sound system to go w/ my Mitsi WD-52631?(When funds permit, of course)

Thanks for any and all suggestions

70sreject
12-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Maybe there is some hope. The tuner is still on the fritz, but I'm presently listening to some old vinyl! Albeit w/a slight hum that I believe may be caused by a loose jack on the tt. I replaced the cable between the tt and the receiver and jiggled the wire until it went almost completely away. If I had something besides these garage sale speakers I drug out of the back room, it would actually be a pleasant experience.
Cross your fingers for me.