Next gen of displays new aspect ratio? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Next gen of displays new aspect ratio?

The Tahitijack
12-23-2006, 12:22 PM
As more and more dvds are produced in "Widescreen Version" letterbox format to preserve the scope aspect ratio of the original theatrical version will the next generation of displays change from the 16:9 format to a format matching the widescreen letter box?

Or, do I need to make an adjustment on my player or plasma to fill the screen with the WS image?

edtyct
12-23-2006, 02:42 PM
The current widescreen format (16x9, or 1.78:1) was chosen because it represented a good compromise. Anamorphically, 1.78:1 and 1.85:1 fit it perfectly (the latter because of overscan). Aspect ratios that are larger--e.g., 2.08:1, 2.35:1, 2.40:1, etc.--have to deposit black bars at the top and bottom of the screen to fit. Because these bars comprise part of the anamorphic transfer--unlike the letterbox bars on nonanamorphic widescreen material, which are created by the display--most TVs couldn't zoom them out. Fortunately, many current TVs can, with a varying loss of content at the horizontal edges. Your plasma, however, may not be one of them. You may have to live with the wasted space when watching anamorphic films shot at greater than 1.85:1.

The conventional widescreen aspect ratio for displays may change someday, but since 1.85:1 still seems to be the most popular frame, it won't be tomorrow. If the default home theater size were shifted up into the 2.00-2.15 range, the majority of films would go the way of 4:3 (1.33:1) now--pillarbox.

elapsed
12-23-2006, 06:25 PM
edtyct, excellent response, insightful as always, thanks again for teaching me a few things this year :) Happy holidays!

edtyct
12-23-2006, 09:07 PM
elapsed,

Thanks for the kind words. Have a great holiday yourself--and everyone else. It will be interesting to find out what Santa plugs into the wall this Christmas. Prices being what they are, I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be a banner year. The Boston Globe had a feature story on how much the price of TVs has fallen lately and how all sorts of retailers have entered the game--from Home Depot to Toys R Us. Traditional big-box stores like Best Buy and Circuit City have found themselves wilting under the competitive pressure, agreeing to sell their stock at lower than advertised prices to savvy consumers. Good luck, all.

AVMASTER
12-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Happy Holidays sir, I've come to rely on your knowledge and insight; in fact, can I offer you a job?
If you're ever in DC come visit us
thanks

The Tahitijack
12-24-2006, 08:17 AM
And my thanks as well. As with others, I put Ed on my board of directors this year. I don't always agree with his thoughts, but his views and opinions are a great value to me as I sort throught the confusion. Ed a big ole Merry Christmas to you. I hope there is something nice for you under the tree this year....

edtyct
12-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks, guys. It's always gratifying to find out that you've made a positive difference. I'm thrilled that Eric saw fit to install a video board, and I've had a ball contributing and learning. Given the nature of the traffic, people's questions and comments here generally receive immediate attention (unlike at some other cyber spots, where, to paraphrase William Hurt in Body Heat, the s**t sometimes comes down so thick, you have to wear a hat).

AVMASTER, I'll PM you when a trip to DC seems likely and find out where the store is. You can introduce me to those JVCS, which I still haven't seen in action.