Hiding speaker wire! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hiding speaker wire!

powerlord
12-23-2006, 10:35 AM
OK I did a search on this,and the only thing it adressed was speaker and cable behind the front stage.My front stage is totally hidden so I'm good there.My problem is the rear surround towers,I have a door on one side,and the walk through to hallway on other side without trim.Any suggestions on how I might hide these?I tried cutting a hole in the carpet behind the front stage and fishing the wire through with coat hangers but kept getting caught up in the foam under the carpet.Merry Xmas!!

KRiTiKaL
12-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey, I had a similar exprience. I just went around the room under door side. I am probably running over 100' of wire though. Try pullng the wire by making a bend in it, then just make sure your under the carpet pad with fishing line. Clip the ends clean, tape a little ball on the end like a Q-tip. Hope that helps.

bubbagump
12-23-2006, 04:47 PM
It's kind of a pain but running speaker wire in-wall (if possible) is a much more professional and long term solution. Make sure you buy speaker wire rated for in wall. The alternatives are a little ghetto and something you may find annoying.

powerlord
12-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys.

SlumpBuster
12-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Actually, there is quite an easy solution you may be overlooking. If I understand your post correctly, you have a proper door on oneside of the room and a drywall or plaster archway on the other without any casing.

The door you reference on the otherside of the room has casing. Before I cracked open walls, I would pull off that casing and and hide the wire under the casing. Just run the wire up, across, and then down. Then replace the casing. Too me it seems the easier project. This is a totally non-ghetto option. :D

Also, running wire under carpet is not ideal. It will be tread upon and potentially damaged. There are thresholds available that can be laid over the carpet in the doorway with the speaker wire hidden underneath. Usually carpet will use metal transition strips, but depending on decor, a woodstrip, or threshold, may be less noticeable and less ghetto.

basite
12-25-2006, 01:53 AM
It's kind of a pain but running speaker wire in-wall (if possible) is a much more professional and long term solution. Make sure you buy speaker wire rated for in wall. The alternatives are a little ghetto and something you may find annoying.

yeah, we did it in-wall/floor for the surround speakers, worked fine, but the wire broke somewhere between the amp and the speaker and it was stuck, so we had to replace it after all...

powerlord
12-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Slumpbuster i did exactly what you said on the proper doorway,and on the entrance I cut a very small hole before it then one right in the corner after it and ran the rest under the base board.Presto,no wires!Thanks again!

gregav2
12-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi. This is my first post on this site.

I'm having a house built and I ran all of my speaker wires in the walls. I've measured the locations where I looped each one and now have to bring the wires out. Here is my question: For my surround and front channels, I would like to just make a small hole (maybe an inch in dia.) and then put in a grommet type of trim that the wires will pass through. The holes will mostly be covered by the speakers, but not entirely. I can't find the trim. I had a professional installer mention it to me, so I know it exists. Anyone know? I will probably use one of the binding post covers for the source connections.