Merlin VSM-M or Martin Logan Odyssey [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Merlin VSM-M or Martin Logan Odyssey

Relman
02-10-2004, 10:38 PM
I am trying to decide between the Merlin VSM-M and the Martin Logan Odyssey. I know they are on different ends of the spectrum but they are comparably priced. I have heard the Odyssey and like the very open soundstage. They sounded good for both music and Home Theater. Two drawbacks for me anyways would be their size ( they are awfully large) and their sensitivity. I heard they need lots of clean power to do them justice. I will be powering them with a Rotel RMB 1095. My other choice is the Merlin VSM-M. I have not heard these speakers but I have read many positive reviews. This web site alone has 70 reviews all giving them 5 stars. They must be doing something right for everybody to like them. They seem to be efficient and have a small footprint two things that the Martin Logan's didn't have. My only problem is I haven't heard these speakers and don't have anyplace close by to audition them. Can anybody who has heard these speakers give me a honest opinion. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

bturk667
02-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Do you always believe what you read?
Who care how well a product is reviewed. I am a little puzzled though; how can you make a speaker you have never heard a final choice?
Try corresponding with the Merlin distributor and/or dealer to see if they allow a home trial period. Hearing is believing!