Beginner Stereo [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Stereo

z0nar
12-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Well, Christmas time is coming up and I have decided to get myself a solid starter stereo system. I would love some suggestions for gear as I only have about 500 to spend. By researching here it looks like the Sansui 7070 would be a good choice, as it would allow for a little nicer speakers, but please give me your input.

Have a Merry Christmas!

basite
12-20-2006, 10:12 AM
first of all, welcome to the AR forums, hope you learn alot and we'll be happy to help you with your questions.

Then, i have a few questions for you,
when you say the sansui 7070, you do mean this one eh?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sansui-7070-Amp-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ280062160892QQihZ018QQcategoryZ 67785QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that's a nice receiver man, if it's in a good state, you'll be good.
then, besides speakers, do you need anything else?
like a cd player?
for the speakers,
for that budget, you can get yourself wharfedale diamond 9.2's, b&w 601's, maybe b&w 602's, kef's dunno which model, but there surely are some in that range, paradigm's, mission's,...

tons of brands to follow, have you got some speakers in mind? or you can look into vintage speakers too, lots of things out there on ebay.

Greetings,
Basite.

z0nar
12-20-2006, 05:02 PM
My mistake, it was actually a Sansui 9090DB...also on ebay.

So far im looking at...

Sansui 9090DB
B&W 602 S3's

That is pretty much my budget there, what else will i need, or any other suggestions?

John

emorphien
12-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Audition audition audition! Listen to a lot of different speakers in your price range if you can. Some local shops may carry more affordable products from certain brands or have used gear, otherwise internet direct is worth considering (like Axiom, AV123, etc). I'm not a huge fan of B&W, particularly the 600 series since I think better can be found for less but what matters is whether you like it. I have Axiom M3Tis currently, and have listened to Paradigm Titans. Depending on what you like either could work for you.

You'll need a receiver, integrated amp or separates. A receiver will be easiest for a beginner and can be found inexpensively, for example I at one point used an Onkyo TX-8211 which was a good buy for $200 new if you want new. I have it still but have been looking to sell it, that model usually goes for around $100 used from what I've seen, possibly less.

Don't forget source components. If you're using your computer then that eliminates this, but otherwise you'll want some sort of CD player. IMO the newer the CD player you can get, the better as DACs and the other associated bits have improved with digital playback equipment. I don't have any suggestions here for you though.

Also you'll need cables to connect everything and speaker wire, obviously. Just buy that in bulk as it's cheapest and with the spring clip connections that Sansui has you won't be able to make much use of the various connector ends (except for pins).

blackraven
12-20-2006, 10:38 PM
I agree with looking at onkyo receivers and you might want to consider the yamaha HTR series receivers. They use the same parts as the RV series receivers and can be found on the net for heavily discounted prices.

basite
12-21-2006, 03:36 AM
erm, for what i think, the sansui is far better than what you can buy now for $200,
b&w's are fine speakers, but maybe you still want to audition some more speakers, like the paradigms, maybe magnepan mmg's are nice too.

Rock789
12-21-2006, 09:42 AM
paradigm and focal jm lab both have nice speakers in your range depending on how much you spend on the electronics...

z0nar
01-05-2007, 09:47 PM
UPDATE: Well, got my 9090db locally off ebay. WOW! Hooked it up to an older bose 2.1 system and I am blown away. I have never heard such sounds in my music! Using a 15+ year old kenwood 6 disc changer we had lying around the house. So total cost so far has just been wire and the Sansui. Can't wait to upgrade speakers, but for now I'm damn happy.

Lol...everything in the system is older than me (almost 17). I say not bad for my first stereo.

John

basite
01-06-2007, 02:19 AM
UPDATE: Well, got my 9090db locally off ebay. WOW! Hooked it up to an older bose 2.1 system and I am blown away. I have never heard such sounds in my music! Using a 15+ year old kenwood 6 disc changer we had lying around the house. So total cost so far has just been wire and the Sansui. Can't wait to upgrade speakers, but for now I'm damn happy.

Lol...everything in the system is older than me (almost 17). I say not bad for my first stereo.

John

i know that feeling, i'm 16 now and my speakers are from 1980, my tt is from 1978, my previous amp is from 1980, my current amp is only a few months old though...

Have fun,
Bert.

hifitommy
01-06-2007, 02:03 PM
this may right up your alley.:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Gb8kK87bg1l/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=12000&I=700P360&search=Infinity+Primus+360

below is the review from stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/605infinity/

fairly effeicient so loud wont be a problem either.

note the free shipping from crutchfield.

jrhymeammo
01-06-2007, 04:29 PM
As usual, a great advice from Tommy.

I think Infinity loudspeakers sound good. But for some reason, people wont even consider it . They just hear the name and run away... Maybe because Circuit City carries them and automatically think they are crap.

But like what emorphne said, Audition, Audition, and Audition. Sounds like you are a logical person so that helps alot of members trying to assist you....

Best Wishes,

JRA

hifitommy
01-06-2007, 05:56 PM
and was quite surprised at their abilities. very dynamic and fast, good imaging too. i dont recommend much i'm not familiar with. and the price at $400 delivered is great!

thichduthu
01-08-2007, 10:44 PM
hi all, i am a newbie in this place

blackraven
01-08-2007, 11:15 PM
My daughter has the Primus 160's and they have a very nice sound for $160 on sale. Very clean sound. I imagine the 360's are that much better being a tower speaker. However the infinity Beta's are much better.

dirtbag
01-10-2007, 04:14 PM
paradigm and focal jm lab both have nice speakers in your range depending on how much you spend on the electronics...
Hey Rock, I like the bike in your sig. 03 450 EXC for me

Rock789
01-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Hey Rock, I like the bike in your sig. 03 450 EXC for me
sweet bike,
mine's a 2004 200sx
I used to do harescrambles in hs and college, but haven't raced one of thoes in a long time... I need to get back into it...
I do a moto ever once in a wile and realize how bad shape I'm in now...lol
I do a lot of trail riding at wellsville, and other places similar (slow technical trails with lots of rocks, hills climbs, tight switch backs, ... funstuff hehe)
where are you from?

later
Mike

online photo album (http://community.webshots.com/user/rock789)

dirtbag
01-11-2007, 04:32 PM
sweet bike,
mine's a 2004 200sx
I used to do harescrambles in hs and college, but haven't raced one of thoes in a long time... I need to get back into it...
I do a moto ever once in a wile and realize how bad shape I'm in now...lol
I do a lot of trail riding at wellsville, and other places similar (slow technical trails with lots of rocks, hills climbs, tight switch backs, ... funstuff hehe)
where are you from?

later
Mike

online photo album (http://community.webshots.com/user/rock789)

hey mike,
I'm from Van. B.C.
Strictly trails for me. With a business to run and small kids racing is out of the question for a 47 yr. old. Usually ride in the Kamloops area, amazing trails, some say the best in North America. Great camping and not many people. Can't wait for spring to come!

Cheers Dale

Rock789
01-11-2007, 07:31 PM
hey mike,
I'm from Van. B.C.
Strictly trails for me. With a business to run and small kids racing is out of the question for a 47 yr. old. Usually ride in the Kamloops area, amazing trails, some say the best in North America. Great camping and not many people. Can't wait for spring to come!

Cheers Dale
never too old to race ;o)
my dad races (about as often as I race) in the super senior class, and some of the guys in that class are in their late 60s (dad is in his 50s)...
maybe wait till your kids are old enough to join you ;o)

I hear you about spring, although it hasn't been bad this winter for ohio... we'll see how the next couple weeks go ...lol

have a great weekend,
later
Mike