Equalizers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Equalizers

powerlord
12-20-2006, 08:59 AM
How many of you use seperate EQ's in your systems? And are they useful with todays recievers?

Mike Anderson
12-20-2006, 09:32 AM
I use a Behringer DEQ2496 for room correction. It works wonders.

Do a search for equalizers in this forum, this has come up several times recently.

powerlord
12-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks Mike

markw
12-20-2006, 09:40 AM
These require a path out of the signal and a path back into the signal chain. In the good ole days of stereom they had what;s called a "tape loop". What this is is paif of outputs out to a, external device (tape recorder, equalizer, whatever) and a pair of inputs back into the signal path. When the "tape monitor" switch was out, the signal remained in the signal path within the unit. When it was pushed, the internal pats was broken, the signal was sent out to the device and then back into the path, after passing through the external device. So, what was sent out comes right back after passing through the device.

Modern receiver s generally lack this. The only way to insert an eq into modern receivers is between the pramp and the power amp, and not all receivers offer these. Quite a few offer pre-outs to exrternal amps and this would work, but fewer offer power amp inputs.

Many receivers do offer a "tape out" but these are not the same as a tape monitor. These offer a one way trips to a recorder with no direct return path. You must use the selector on your unit to select the external device's output just as you would select any other input. There is no loop.

powerlord
12-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks Mark,and after reading many of the opinions on these in my search I'll stick with what my system has to offer and the sound of the material I play.

E-Stat
12-21-2006, 12:57 PM
How many of you use seperate EQ's in your systems? And are they useful with todays recievers?
I use one with the powered subs in my HT system to address room effects. Not crazy about using them full range.

rw