Used 705s vs Brand New vr-1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Used 705s vs Brand New vr-1

avgjoe
12-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Okay, I went to my dealer today and I checked out the B&W 705. Didn't have time to check out any other speakers. The room was medium to large in size. I really liked the 705s but found them to be a tad on the bright side but on the whole much better than anything I've listened to before. Well at least in that room it sounded much better than my friends old dm601s. Now the question is that sadly my local dealer doesn't have any von schweikert vr-1s and nowhere within 20 miles can i audition a pair. The only way would be buying von schweikert's online. Now I don't have the money right now or I'd buy the $550 deal at audiogon a pair of brand new sealed vr-1s. Nonetheless, I should have enough funds to buy myself some speakers in a week or two.

Now my question lies, with those of you who have heard both the 705s and vr-1s. What is YOUR opinion? What do YOU THINK is better? Again, I understand that each of our ears are different but that is not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to ask what you think. Also people like emorphien mentioned jm-labs and focus. My question is that do they sell their products anywhere online or do they like von schweikert sell their own products from the company site.

Thank you. Hopefully next year :) I will have a nice set of speakers.

Oh btw, before I forget. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone...

emorphien
12-19-2006, 06:49 PM
I'd like to hear the VR-1s as well but don't really want to be slinging my money around internet direct, although I did that last time. Focal can be bought in stores pretty readily, if that's what you are asking.

I don't think I understood your question though. Maybe I'm tired, or dense.

Carl Reid
12-19-2006, 08:05 PM
If you thought the 705s were a little too bright... which is the common complaint about the 700 series... you really might want to consider listening to the B&W CM1s (if you haven't already).... many people prefer the new CM1s to the 705s.... and they cost a lot less than the 705s...

I haven't heard the VRs so I can't comment on them.... but if you do buy something online, just make sure that you have a good return option....

emorphien
12-19-2006, 08:19 PM
I listened to the CM1 and found it unengaging and a little lifeless with the material I listen to (rock mainly, classic and progressive).

I've not listened to the 705 much but when I go back to the shop to buy the Rainmakers (as I currently believe I will be doing) I will probably ask to listen the 705 because I have been rather curious about them since they get such a bad rap.

Carl Reid
12-19-2006, 08:45 PM
I listened to the CM1 and found it unengaging and a little lifeless with the material I listen to (rock mainly, classic and progressive).

I've not listened to the 705 much but when I go back to the shop to buy the Rainmakers (as I currently believe I will be doing) I will probably ask to listen the 705 because I have been rather curious about them since they get such a bad rap.

You found the CM1s lifeless? This audio hobby of ours is such a funny thing...

So totally subjective....

Ironically the first time I heard the CM1s was when I took a friend speaker shopping... and the first place we went to, the sales rep was trying his best to sell my friend Totem Rainmakers.... but we both thought they were boring and nothing special... so we left and went to another dealer that stocks mainly B&W and Dynaudio and were blown away by the CM1s.... even in a direct comparision to the 805S they held their own admirably (of course the 805s sounded better, but we were still really impressed with the CM1s)...

I guess it all really just depends on individual tastes....

emorphien
12-19-2006, 09:27 PM
I guess it all really just depends on individual tastes....
Yup! :5:

The Rainmakers sounded boring and wanting for dynamics on the Marantz receiver I first heard them on, but I loved them on a decent integrated amplifier when I went back a couple weeks later. Completely different experience.

StanleyMuso
12-19-2006, 09:58 PM
I guess we do all hear differently. I have now owned my 703s for about two years, and bright is not a word I would associate with them. If anything, I've had a problem with taming bass boom. I suspect that when we listen to speakers, we also have to pay special attention to the listening environment.

Carl Reid
12-19-2006, 10:25 PM
What is YOUR opinion? What do YOU THINK is better? Again, I understand that each of our ears are different but that is not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to ask what you think.

So based on the discussions breaking out in this thread... You'll probably want to also consider room acoustics and partnering equipment in your decision....

As Emorphien said. he wasn't impressed with the Rainmaker/Marantz combo...

I've had similar experiences with products that I like...

I don't fancy a CM1/Yamaha Combo (too bright) nor a Mission/NAD combo (too boring)... But I think CM1/NAD & Mission/Yamaha are really good combos...

drseid
12-20-2006, 04:52 AM
The new VR-1 price at $550 is not much more than you would pay for a pair of them used (so buying new over the net is less risky on these IMO as long as the dealer is reputable).

My personal preferences would lead to the VR-1s, and at the price you are talking about coupled with your opinion of the 705s sounding bright I feel pretty confident saying that they probably will be the better choice for yours too.

---Dave

Duds
12-20-2006, 06:24 AM
Hey Morph - did you get in touch with the dealer I got my VR-1's from?

I'd like to hear the VR-1s as well but don't really want to be slinging my money around internet direct, although I did that last time. Focal can be bought in stores pretty readily, if that's what you are asking.

I don't think I understood your question though. Maybe I'm tired, or dense.

emorphien
12-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Hey Morph - did you get in touch with the dealer I got my VR-1's from?
Not yet. Not entirely sure what I'll be doing right now.

topspeed
12-20-2006, 11:13 AM
I've heard both the 705's and VR1's and the Vons blew the B&W's away. It wasn't close, and this is coming from a B&W owner. From the standpoint of dynamics, cohesiveness, speed, imaging, you name it; the VR1's are simply a superior speaker. The 705's struck me as being somewhat bland and musically aloof. They just didn't draw you into the music. It's not that they are bad, mind you...simply boring. The VR1's are more fun! You forget about analyzing the music and instead find yourself tapping your toe. The VR1's highlights include startling speed (very 'stat like), a huge dynamic envelope, driver cohesiveness, enormous sweet spot, and jewel-like build quality. My full review can be read here (http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_143684_1594crx.aspx#review0[/url), the 7th one down.

Normally, I won't say one speaker is clearly superior to another, but in this case the difference is so dramatic it's impossible to ignore. When compared side by side, in the same room with the same front end, there is no comparison between these two speakers.

Hope this helps.