Strata Mini's anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Strata Mini's anyone?

GMichael
12-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Has anyone heard what the Strata Mini's sound like yet? Any thoughts or reveiws.
They sure look hot. And sense their planner hybrids, I'm hoping that they sound as good as they look.
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=78.1

audio_dude
12-18-2006, 02:26 PM
HOLE-E-WOW

those look like totally amazing!!!

now, if only I had $1600...

JoeE SP9
12-18-2006, 03:14 PM
They look really good. That Rosewood veneer doesn't hurt either. Why doesn't someone here buy a pair and let us know how they sound?

GMichael
12-18-2006, 04:24 PM
They look really good. That Rosewood veneer doesn't hurt either. Why doesn't someone here buy a pair and let us know how they sound?

Nudge nudge?

Florian
12-18-2006, 04:43 PM
That was meant towards you GM :cornut:

emorphien
12-18-2006, 05:41 PM
I've heard of a lot of quality control issues with these, and reliability issues.

I am constantly intrigued about the products AV123 sells, but I'm not brave enough to buy them yet.

GMichael
12-18-2006, 07:38 PM
That was meant towards you GM :cornut:

Yes. I just forgot the ?? marks. I'll go fix it.

GMichael
12-18-2006, 07:43 PM
I've heard of a lot of quality control issues with these, and reliability issues.

I am constantly intrigued about the products AV123 sells, but I'm not brave enough to buy them yet.

QC? I don't like the sound of that. (punn intended) Do you have any links or leads I could look into?
The wife even told me to go ahead and get the "Strata Mini + SP3 Special w/ FREE pair of Ref .5's" package. She wants the .5's and SP3 in the computer room for her to use. I think she's catching on to the whole "gee this sounds teriffic" thing. But I do have other things that we need more. And QC issues? Yuck.

emorphien
12-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Just snippets I've picked up from various places. I can't recall where it was. It wasn't here though, it was either AVS or audioholics.

GMichael
12-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks, I'll keep digging.

topspeed
12-19-2006, 10:26 AM
I've always been wary of hybrid dynamic/planar designs. There is always the risk of discontinuity due to the speed the the panels. It can heard in ML's, even the big Odyssey's.

Still, why don't you tell Eric or Geoff and see if they can arrange a pair for review. Geoff, with his Maggie 3.2's as reference, would seem to be a great candidate to judge the quality and cohesiveness of these new hybrids. AV123 offers a 30 day return, no?

The sure are purty!

GMichael
12-19-2006, 10:41 AM
I've always been wary of hybrid dynamic/planar designs. There is always the risk of discontinuity due to the speed the the panels. It can heard in ML's, even the big Odyssey's.

Still, why don't you tell Eric or Geoff and see if they can arrange a pair for review. Geoff, with his Maggie 3.2's as reference, would seem to be a great candidate to judge the quality and cohesiveness of these new hybrids. AV123 offers a 30 day return, no?

The sure are purty!

Sounds great to me.

Hey Geof & Eric,

Are any of the AR Gods listening?
What do you think? Worth it?

basite
12-19-2006, 10:44 AM
they sure do look nice, can't speak on how they sound, since i've never heard them,
if Emorphien is right, and there are QC problems, you should dig in to that, but i read several good things about them too, about how stunning they sound for their price and stuff like that,

i don't know man, alot of good things about them, but the QC is a big factor too.
i also read that their price is going up soon,

i was looking at them too sometime, but since they aren't available here in Belgium, my lookings went to other brands, like magnepan, and focal/jm labs, and monitor audio and stuff.

anyways, dig up some info about the QC probs...

Good luck,
and greetings,
Basite.

kexodusc
12-19-2006, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't worry much about QC. They don't make their own drivers, use high quality components, and employ well known designers to come up with their models. Other than driver or element failure (which is rare but not zero), there's not much QC worry with a speaker (because there's so few components).
Most hybrid designs I've heard sound alright until louder volumes. Then you get the impression you're listening to different transducers rather than a speaker. That's usually because of a shortcut in the crossover, not because hybrids can't work. Only one way to find out if these puppies have it covered.

basite
12-19-2006, 10:58 AM
well, in that case, go for them...

Dusty Chalk
12-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Oh, look, they come in pink, too:

http://www.av123.com/images_dynamic/speakers_96.jpg

GMichael
12-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Oh, look, they come in pink, too:

http://www.av123.com/images_dynamic/speakers_96.jpg

See through pink at that. Who could ask for more?

Dusty Chalk
12-19-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't think it's see-through pink, I think it's pink and white.

GMichael
12-19-2006, 01:48 PM
I don't think it's see-through pink, I think it's pink and white.

Not transparent? Shucks!

T BOMB25
02-07-2007, 05:52 PM

I am constantly intrigued about the products AV123 sells, but I'm not brave enough to buy them yet.This is really isnt very acurate imformation,one guy ran a full frequencey sweep straight out of the box which is stupid on any speaker,and he blew a tweeter,and then their were a couple pairs that were damaged in shipping all were replaced those are the only issues that have came up,which can happen to any speaker.The Mini Strata is a outstanding value for what they offer,I'd put them up against anything up to 6k.and they will battle it out with them.:)

blackraven
02-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Thirty day return policy sounds great but the total weight is 315lbs. I wonder what return shipping costs if you don't like them. I also wonder how much of the cost of the speaker goes into the Rosewood cabinets vs electronics. Rosewood is very expensive. The speakers look very nice though.

drseid
02-08-2007, 01:14 AM
This is really isnt very acurate imformation,one guy ran a full frequencey sweep straight out of the box which is stupid on any speaker,and he blew a tweeter,and then their were a couple pairs that were damaged in shipping all were replaced those are the only issues that have came up,which can happen to any speaker.

I can't speak for the Minis, but the sub (UFW-10) I bought my Dad from them had superb build quility and is still going strong in his system. I would say from my experience their QC is just fine. The fit and finish is absolutely stunning BTW... much better than I have seen on any speakers aside from maybe the likes of Dali and Salk.

The Mini Strata is a outstanding value for what they offer,I'd put them up against anything up to 6k.and they will battle it out with them.:)

I agree 100% on the value... as for the *challenge*... I'll be happy to oblige on *that* anytime someone wants to have their Minis battle it out with my Linbrook System. ;-) Seriously though, I am sure many higher priced speakers would indeed be embarassed by the Minis in a head to head based on my experience with other AV123 products.

---Dave

GMichael
02-08-2007, 06:17 AM
All great news guys. Keep it coming.
I believe that they are having a no risk thing now. Free shipping both ways. Not sure if that is in effect for the mini's though.

ski2xblack
02-08-2007, 12:11 PM

I've bought their equipment and have absolutely no regrets. Customer service is top notch, despite the mail-order-only business model. And they make some gorgeous speakers. Haven't heard the Mini though.

T BOMB25
02-11-2007, 07:43 PM
I can't speak for the Minis, but the sub (UFW-10) I bought my Dad from them had superb build quility and is still going strong in his system. I would say from my experience their QC is just fine. The fit and finish is absolutely stunning BTW... much better than I have seen on any speakers aside from maybe the likes of Dali and Salk.

I agree 100% on the value... as for the *challenge*... I'll be happy to oblige on *that* anytime someone wants to have their Minis battle it out with my Linbrook System. ;-) Seriously though, I am sure many higher priced speakers would indeed be embarassed by the Minis in a head to head based on my experience with other AV123 products.

---DaveTo be honest I have never seen build quality like the Salks with anything made of wood and that includes some very expensive grand piano's,Jim Salk's work is unreal,and the HT-3's sound even better than they look they easilly compete with megabuck speakers and dismiss a bunch of them,a stellar value by any standards.My favorite speakers are the Salk Veracity HT-3's,Onix Mini Strada Onix Ref 3,ACI Sapphire XL's,Ellis 1801,Tyler Taylo Reference III Tyler Linbrook System,Innersound,Legacy Whisper,Devore Gibbon Super 8,Revel Saloons,Dali Megalines,Odyessy Loralei, and Aerial 20T all of these are extremly musical speakers in my view.:)

T BOMB25
02-11-2007, 07:46 PM
I think the Onix Mini Strata,ACI Sappire XL's,Tyler Reference III,Tyler Signature System and the Salksound Veracity HT-3 offer the best value per dollar than any of other speakers you can buy.Hum..that would be a interresting battle for the Mini's it will be a tall order,but it would be interresting,I certainly dont think they would be embarrased,now for a battle in the Signature Sytem's pricerange the HT-3's now that would be good the 2 speakers along Taylo Reference III's that can compete with the mega buck speakers,but the Mini's might be in there with them,i would love to find out.:ihih:

drseid
02-12-2007, 05:08 AM
To be honest I have never seen build quality like the Salks with anything made of wood and that includes some very expensive grand piano's,Jim Salk's work is unreal,and the HT-3's sound even better than they look they easilly compete with megabuck speakers and dismiss a bunch of them,a stellar value by any standards.My favorite speakers are the Salk Veracity HT-3's,Onix Mini Strada Onix Ref 3,ACI Sapphire XL's,Ellis 1801,Tyler Taylo Reference III Tyler Linbrook System,Innersound,Legacy Whisper,Devore Gibbon Super 8,Revel Saloons,Dali Megalines,Odyessy Loralei, and Aerial 20T all of these are extremly musical speakers in my view.:)

Sounds like we have similar tastes in speakers... I like those all too. I also agree that Jim Salk can do what no other can (at least to my eyes) with his brilliant woodworking.

---Dave