Blu-ray/HD DVD Stalemate = More Combo Players? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray/HD DVD Stalemate = More Combo Players?

ericl
12-17-2006, 11:47 PM
From DigiTimes.com (http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20061214PD201.html) and Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/16/blu-ray-hd-dvd-stalemate-boosting-interest-in-combo-player/), increased chatter about the HD-DVD BluRay stalemate motivating more manufacturers to look into combo players. Still no definite word from any manufacturer.

I don't think this is going to end anytime soon, and I'm going to commit to one or the other.
A combo player is what i want. When Denon or Pioneer come out with a decent one, I will go for it. At CES 2006 Denon's rep said that's exactly what they'd do. They will not take sides, but will wait until either one side won or they could build a Denon quality combo player.. So I guess I am going to have to be patient..

elapsed
12-18-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and predict that Denon will announce an HD DVD Player in three weeks time at CES. Three reasons:

1. D&M Holdings belong to the HD DVD Consortium
2. The market is currently heavily favoring HD DVD (PS3 sales aside, which don't equate Blu-Ray sales)
3. The new Denon DVD-2930CI is an absolutely brilliant DVD Player which I don't believe can be improved upon at its price point; customers will only purchase DVD for so much longer

kexodusc
12-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Think we're going to see DVD continue to be the standard for several years. Everyone owns a TV. A small percentage own an HD capable TV set. Of those, not all subscribe to HD signals. And fewer still own an HD-player. I'm guessing the majority of HD nuts already have one. This format war ain't exactly helping anything either.
That said, I fully expect a healthy HD niche market to develop. These discs aren't really that expensive to make, so I'm sure there's a profit to be made selling to the videophile.
When you think about it, HD-DVD or BluRay versions of a title are no different than the elaborate boxed set, or special edition versions of DVD titles, which also cost more to make. But companies keep doing it because there's money in them.
For the amount of movies I rent or buy, and the satisfaction I get watching mostly movies I've seen many times before, even an HD-DVD player will have to drop considerably before I'm ready to get one. I'm guessing like myself, an Xbox or PS3 will be the gateway to a Hi-Def disc player.

Groundbeef
12-18-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm guessing like myself, an Xbox or PS3 will be the gateway to a Hi-Def disc player.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/07/survey-points-to-blu-ray-negativity-attributed-to-sonys-heavy/

I have to look at more info on the net, but it DOES NOT appear that PS3 sales are translating into Blu-Ray movie sales. Considering the hupla that surrounded the release, it appeared that Sony was counting on the PS3 to ride into town and sell some movies! (because they only have 5 games out)

So far that has not happened.

The Xbox 360 HD-DVD has contributed to an increase in HD-DVD sales, but that is a bit more to be expected. As the drive is an ADD-ON and only for movies, if you buy one, chances are your going to get some movies for it.

Plus, you can pick one up for between $159-199. I saw one at Sams yesterday for $182.00 plus tax.

Thats pretty resonable for 1080 resolution. Of course 360 doesn't have HDMI.

Nor does Sony untill you buy the cable for it though.....$600 and no cable...hahha

kexodusc
12-18-2006, 10:15 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/07/survey-points-to-blu-ray-negativity-attributed-to-sonys-heavy/

I have to look at more info on the net, but it DOES NOT appear that PS3 sales are translating into Blu-Ray movie sales. Considering the hupla that surrounded the release, it appeared that Sony was counting on the PS3 to ride into town and sell some movies! (because they only have 5 games out)

So far that has not happened.

You're probably right, but let's be fair. PS3's been out for a matter of weeks, and surely a huge, massive percentage of those sales are in a closet or attic somewhere, wrapped, waiting for Christmas morning. I think the 2 months after Christmas would be the only relevant period to evaluate any impact on BluRay sales. Though I'm guessing it won't be substantial.
I don't know what's worse, $600 or whatever and no cable, or $400 or whatever and no HD-DVD drive?

Groundbeef
12-18-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't know what's worse, $600 or whatever and no cable, or $400 or whatever and no HD-DVD drive?

Actually the no cable thing is a throwback to a different thread that lasted a few weeks over the aformentioned missing cable.

It all depends on what you are buying the systems for. If you are strictly GAMING then the XBOX has a price edge as it doesn't need the HD-DVD for games.

The PS3 is putting games on Blu-Ray thus the more expensive Blu-Ray drive.

I think that it is indicitive that the HD-DVD is selling quite well, and that really the only reason to purchase the drive is TO PLAY HD MOVIES.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Xbox_360/PlayStation_3/Hardware/Industry_Trends/High-Def_Gaming/First_PS3,_XBox_HD_DVD_Add-On_Sales_Numbers/392

Although the PS3 has sold more units, so far it has NOT translated into movie sales.

Also, lets just pretend for the minute that the HD-DVD format loses. It wouldn't be that difficult for MS to launch a Blu-Ray player that would connect w/ the 360.

Now on the flip side. Lets say the Blu-Ray dies. Sony is then saddled with a 17 lb boat anchor for a movie player. That hurts.

kexodusc
12-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Actually the no cable thing is a throwback to a different thread that lasted a few weeks over the aformentioned missing cable.

It all depends on what you are buying the systems for. If you are strictly GAMING then the XBOX has a price edge as it doesn't need the HD-DVD for games.

The PS3 is putting games on Blu-Ray thus the more expensive Blu-Ray drive.

I think that it is indicitive that the HD-DVD is selling quite well, and that really the only reason to purchase the drive is TO PLAY HD MOVIES.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Xbox_360/PlayStation_3/Hardware/Industry_Trends/High-Def_Gaming/First_PS3,_XBox_HD_DVD_Add-On_Sales_Numbers/392

Although the PS3 has sold more units, so far it has NOT translated into movie sales.

Also, lets just pretend for the minute that the HD-DVD format loses. It wouldn't be that difficult for MS to launch a Blu-Ray player that would connect w/ the 360.

Now on the flip side. Lets say the Blu-Ray dies. Sony is then saddled with a 17 lb boat anchor for a movie player. That hurts.

I'm sorry, are you on the Microsoft payroll or something? :D

ericl
12-18-2006, 12:49 PM
I wonder the same thing, judging by his posts.

Besides, everyone knows that the Wii is the superior system.
:cornut:

Groundbeef
12-18-2006, 01:29 PM

I wish. No, I'm not. I havent actually bashed Sony either. If you read the post I simply point out that the anticipated rush on Blu-Ray discs hasn't happened yet. It may, but so far not so much.

It's not like MS is lighting the HD fire either, however MS is in a better spot to respond if one format breaks out as the "winner". By not tying the system to 1 HD style MS could adopt Blu-Ray if it comes out ahead.

If Blu-Ray doesn't become dominate or take off, Sony is tied to the format regardless.

That is indisputable. HD-DVD or Blu-Ray for that matter are NOT REQUIRED for gaming. Sure Blu-Ray holds more, but that doesn't translate into better games.

This guy writes a pretty balanced article on both console systems. Maybe its more to your liking:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/feature_ps3vsxbox360addon.html
Gears of War is fast becoming the breakout hit for the 360 just passing the 2 million mark in 6 weeks. Thats on a system that is roughly in 7 million gamers hands. Thats over 25% of system holders.

Anyway, no I'm not on MS payroll. I hope Sony doesn't die, because ultimatly competition is good for any industry.

I just wish I coulda sold some Wii's on Ebay. Thats where the money is right now!

Rock&Roll Ninja
12-19-2006, 07:59 PM
I honestly wish "the studios" had gone with a rental-pricing policy on HD/BR.

*$100 movies would make BlockBuster/Videostores useful again. Why pay $5 to rent a DVd for a day when you could own it for $10?

*BlockBuster has marketing clout. Dropped the ball.

*A premium price would prevent "lowest common denominator" products. No one will buy a $100 Fifth Element BR with crappy MPeg-2 transfers and lots of artifacts. Also the abortion that is DVD/HD-DVD combo would have been prevented.

drseid
12-20-2006, 05:11 AM
I honestly wish "the studios" had gone with a rental-pricing policy on HD/BR.

*$100 movies would make BlockBuster/Videostores useful again. Why pay $5 to rent a DVd for a day when you could own it for $10?

*BlockBuster has marketing clout. Dropped the ball.

*A premium price would prevent "lowest common denominator" products. No one will buy a $100 Fifth Element BR with crappy MPeg-2 transfers and lots of artifacts. Also the abortion that is DVD/HD-DVD combo would have been prevented.

I don't really know what you are trying to communicate here... You *want* $100 BR or HD DVD discs? I personally am quite glad that prehistoric pricing went down the drain years ago. As someone who buys almost all of my movies, I really hated those $100 priced titles that were usually ones I wanted to buy as they were relatively rare.

As for the BR The Fifth Element... Well, I would not buy it at any price as I disliked the movie, and the BR is a truly horrible transfer as you indicated, Of course leave it to Sony to include it "free" with my player. Of all the discs they could have chosen to show off the format...

The HD DVD combo discs also annoy me too. I actually wouldn't mind them at all if they cost the same as the regular HD DVDs... too bad the studios have gotten greedy there, as they could have sealed the victory for HD DVD (as they would have provided backwards compatibility for DVD owners who might want to buy into HD DVD in the future, and also would have been usable for rental on both DVD and HD DVD formats -- so less discs for Blockbuster et al to stock).

In any case, the war is far from over and it is anyone's to win. I support both formats but I think HD DVD is slowly gaining the upper hand and may just pull it out in the end. Based on the high quality of their releases so far, that would suit me just fine. :-)

---Dave

Rock&Roll Ninja
12-20-2006, 05:12 PM
The HD DVD combo discs also annoy me too. I actually wouldn't mind them at all if they cost the same as the regular HD DVDs... too bad the studios have gotten greedy there, as they could have sealed the victory for HD DVD (as they would have provided backwards compatibility for DVD owners who might want to buy into HD DVD in the future, and also would have been usable for rental on both DVD and HD DVD formats -- so less discs for Blockbuster et al to stock).

Heres the best part: HD-DVD owners are required to pay extra for SD content they don't want. But SD content buyers (the ones who would be saved a future of buying twice) still have the option to buy a regular DVD!

WTF!?! Some "genius" marketing guru somewhere deserves to have been aborted.