What's wrong with my Sony KD-30xs955? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my Sony KD-30xs955?

Mr Peabody
12-17-2006, 07:09 PM
This is a tube HDTV. It has had a couple quirks in the past that have gone away, like the menu coming on by itself and we had to work to get it to go off. This problem started bout a week ago where he remote wouldn't do anything, then not only would the remote not work but you couldn't adjust the TV with the buttons on the TV. I unplugged the TV to see if it would reset. This worked a couple times but now it is locked up and even unplugging it won't work. I checked the manual and I can't find any clue. Could my Sony actually have a defect? Anyone hear of, or have this problem?

With this and having to return a first generation Sony HDMI DVD player, I am loosing my faith in Sony.

edtyct
12-18-2006, 06:41 AM
Mr P,

It seems to be a problem with the board, which is not completely uncommon with this model. I've run across other people who've experienced similar difficulties with the operating system. This TV and the HDMI DVD player that you mention (DVP-NS975V?) were contemporaries, were they not? Too bad, because both appear to have been good performers without their unfortunate OS failings.

Ed

Mr Peabody
12-18-2006, 06:52 PM
You are correct. I wish the dealers had better communication with Sony because that 975 had a picture that I haven't been able to match in that price range. I ended up with an LG which does not have a bad picture, it just is different than the 975.

Anyway, back to the TV, do you think the board will need to be replaced at some point? I left the TV unplugged over night and it is working again for the time being. If it don't cost as much as a new unit, I'd like to get this one fixed. The picture is awesome. I hate the remote, it's like they just through ergonomics to the wind. It takes two hands to use the mute button because it's all the way at the top by the power button.

edtyct
12-18-2006, 07:35 PM
It's good to know that reset brings you back, but the TV seems to have a tendency toward freezing or locking up the menu system. I can well imagine a new board in your future (if there are any around), but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Personally, I'd like to see Sony step up in cases like this one, which don't appear to be random (although I don't have anything like formal numbers). But I won't hold my breath. Still, it might be worth your while to contact an authorized service dept. near you to find out whether Sony has distributed a bulletin about this model. If so, you could conceivably get it fixed on their dollar, or at least only pay labor.

Mr Peabody
12-28-2006, 10:05 AM
I emailed Sony and as usual they referred me to their toll free number. Before I called I wanted to find out for sure my purchase date and what the warranty was. I did buy it in 11/04. But, it was a pleasant surprise to find that I had purchased an extended warranty. It was really a surprise because I don't usually buy them, and, in fact, dislike the manner in which they are marketed, more like extortion. I think what happened is I got a discount off the TV which made it normal price including the extended warranty. I still don't know what I was thinking but thank God for momentary lapses in reasoning. So instead of a long shot appeal to Sony's sense of honor I can now set up a service call and hope there aren't any expensive loop holes in this extended warranty.

edtyct
12-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Terrific news.