upconversion Dvd players [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : upconversion Dvd players

mphs68
12-17-2006, 05:49 PM
How do upconversion Dvd players work. Do they give a real hd pic?

Daedilus
12-17-2006, 08:25 PM
short = no

Long = HD consists of 3 tiers. Recording, Broadcast and Display.

In order to see a true HD scene, the scene must have been filmed in HD, broadcast in HD, and reproduced in HD by your display unit. cutting any one of the three links means you will not see true HD.

Upconverting, at this point in time, as has been addressed in other threads, is a poor fabrication at best. It's primary purpous is to make non native formats visible on units that will not display lower level formats... mainly a problem at this point because of the sudden upsurgance of HDMI cables, which cannot, on some units, reproduce 480 scale signals.

It expands the native borders to fit a 16x9 image, and digitaly samples the screen in order to process the image, add in lines of resolution, color them, and display them in a fabricated resolution... not saying its a bad picture, but a lot is added in thats not originaly there... but it does arrive in what can be interpereted by the display unit as a 1080 display.

this is handy when your unit simply goes blank when a 480 res image is sent to it over a HDMI... personaly, i use component video cables, and let my receiver do the processing rather than the TV, and keep my digital audio where it belongs, in the receiver. That is a matter of personal preference... When i buy a tv that has a built in 5.1 surround sound system, i'll consider sending it a digital audio signal :P