General question about CD players. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : General question about CD players.

dvboy
12-17-2006, 05:39 PM
I had a decent mid-level CD player (Marentz cd5400) that just died on me and was wondering if it would be worth my $$$ to get another CD player.Here's the situation,I hooked it up to my receiver (H/K AVR 7300) using the optical out,so I was using the receivers dac for the conversion.I also have a Panasonic DVD-S77 which is also optically hooked up to my receiver.I never tested these 2 units against each other for cd's,so I am not sure I will be missing something using the DVD-S77 for cd's.So my question is if you are using the receiver's DAC,is there muck of a difference in sound quality from a low budjet cd player to a mid level one like the cd5400??Hope I explained myself correctly:confused5:

Carl Reid
12-17-2006, 05:44 PM
If you're using the receiver's DAC, then buying a replacement CD player is probably just gonna be a waste of money... Just use the DVD player as your transport and save the cash for something else...

dvboy
12-17-2006, 05:54 PM
If you're using the receiver's DAC, then buying a replacement CD player is probably just gonna be a waste of money... Just use the DVD player as your transport and save the cash for something else...
Hey Carl....Thats what I was thinking,or at least hoping.The last thing I need to do is blow some more doe.:)

Daedilus
12-17-2006, 07:41 PM
yeesh... blowing doe... thats sick man, real sick... leave the wildlife alone man, they have suffered enough!

dvboy
12-17-2006, 08:02 PM
yeesh... blowing doe... thats sick man, real sick... leave the wildlife alone man, they have suffered enough!
You seem to be quite attached to wildlife.......does'nt mean you have to be a JACKASS:cornut: lol

emorphien
12-17-2006, 08:24 PM
If your receiver is handling the digital->analog conversion, don't bother with a fancy & expensive player because the biggest part you're paying more for is a better analog stage.