Proposed System(reciever.speaker)Flame Thread [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Proposed System(reciever.speaker)Flame Thread

salad 419
12-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Trying to build a very BUDGET oriented system. Need opinions regarding how each component matches up .

Until I can upgrade to separates. Looking for a mid-level reciever. I'm leaning heavily towards the Yammie cuz it seems like a pretty good deal???
Yamaha RX-V1600 ~$560 shipped
Onkyo TX-SR804 ~$680 shipped
Denon AV-2807 ~$830 shipped
How do the sounds compare between these two? Which one has the better pre-amp? (See Below)

Axiom M80. I'm almost set on these athough I haven't auditioned any.

I do not like the sound of ANY bookshelf speakers(so far). I think there is always a dip between the mid bass and sub and the sound isn't "full" enough for me.

Will either of these recievers push the M80's okay, or will I need an additional power amp?

I don't have exact measurements on the rooms, yet. (Gonna buy a new house, going to measure this week) But it's a very open floor plan, with LOTS of glass, hard tile floor and the back of the room ends up as a 2 story sunroom. I'll try to get some pics to show you.

Anyway, I listen to lots of stuff. Jazz, Rock, Metal, Fusion, Acoustic From Miles to Coltrane to Phish to Zappa to Tool to John Mayer to Jack Johnson to Hendrix, etc. The wife listens to pop/radio/rap type stuff. I usually set the room up in the equilateral triangle, but rarely sit in the listening position so off-axis highs are a concern. Usually the level is fairly loud, enough to fill the house since I'm usually busy doing other things and not even in the same room, like cleaning, chasing the kid around, masterbating(did I say that outloud?), whatever. BUT, when the house is empty I definately like to "rock out" and crank the volume. The house is approximately 1800 sq ft per floor.

I'm looking for a quality sound for as cheap as possible that is very versatile. 2.1 is my main concern, but this will be doubled as a H/T setup.

Auditioning anything is almost impossible with the kids and the wife's work schedule. I've hit the big box stores locally, but only one had a listening room and it was just for speakers. I was not impressed by the Polk speakers (Monitor 70's, I think) they were dull and lifeless. The cheap Klipsh were too beaming and either too bright or no off-axis highs. I've read Tons of reviews, but everything is subjective.

I guess I'm trying to make sure that the combination isn't emphasising weakness or strengths. Example Bright amp and bright speakers equals earbleeds, etc.

(I did audition an Onkyo TX-SR700 with Cerwin Vega VS-120's, but I was not impressed. The reciever wasn't nearly as loud as any of the other recievers my brother has had in the past. I also am not a fan of his Vegas, so It may have been a useless audition)

Okay, flame away. Any and all opinions, suggestions, ridicule, name calling, whatever, I'm listening and don't get offended too easily so let it rip.

Carl Reid
12-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Bright amp and bright speakers equals earbleeds

Hmmm, I wonder where I've heard that line before? :idea:

Anyway,

I like Yamaha receivers.. so I'd suggest trying the Axiom/Yammie combo... I haven't heard the axioms though, but they are getting good press and I think you have an in-home trial... so try them with the yammie and if you don't like the sound then send them back...

kexodusc
12-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Trying to build a very BUDGET oriented system. Need opinions regarding how each component matches up .

Until I can upgrade to separates. Looking for a mid-level reciever. I'm leaning heavily towards the Yammie cuz it seems like a pretty good deal???
Yamaha RX-V1600 ~$560 shipped
Onkyo TX-SR804 ~$680 shipped
Denon AV-2807 ~$830 shipped
How do the sounds compare between these two? Which one has the better pre-amp? (See Below)
Probably splitting hairs on pre-amp differences here. If I were you, I'd consider other features to arrive at your conclusion. I'm partial to Yamaha, some people like Denon and Onkyo. Either is fine.

Axiom M80. I'm almost set on these athough I haven't auditioned any.

I do not like the sound of ANY bookshelf speakers(so far). I think there is always a dip between the mid bass and sub and the sound isn't "full" enough for me.
Well, they have less bass. Usually. But they generally present better images and soundstages than larger speakers. Besides, if you're using a sub and receiver's crossover, you'll be rendering the extra bass of a taller speaker useless. In my experience, when it comes to speakers below $1000-$1500 (with few exceptions), the taller speakers based on the same drivers do not perform better enough to justify the dramatic cost increase...give it some consideration at least. Try the bookshelf model with your sub, properly setup before arriving at your conclusion.

Will either of these recievers push the M80's okay, or will I need an additional power amp?
How big is your room? How loud do you play? My Yamaha can drive my speakers to ear bleeding loud volumes. And I have a big room. But I still use power amps for the extra power and lower distortion. Might make a difference you have 7 speakers hooked up to a receiver like me.

I don't have exact measurements on the rooms, yet. (Gonna buy a new house, going to measure this week) But it's a very open floor plan, with LOTS of glass, hard tile floor and the back of the room ends up as a 2 story sunroom. I'll try to get some pics to show you.
Dear lord, this room sounds like an acoustic nightmare. Seriously. Room acoustic make a bigger difference than your choice in amp, pre-amp, reciever etc. Right up there with speakers, no exaggeration. Hard, reflective surfaces like tile and glass need to be treated and damped. If you're spending good money on a nice system, consider some room treatment. You owe it to yourself.

Anyway, I listen to lots of stuff. Jazz, Rock, Metal, Fusion, Acoustic From Miles to Coltrane to Phish to Zappa to Tool to John Mayer to Jack Johnson to Hendrix, etc. The wife listens to pop/radio/rap type stuff. I usually

I guess I'm trying to make sure that the combination isn't emphasising weakness or strengths. Example Bright amp and bright speakers equals earbleeds, etc.

Those receivers play pretty neutral. Some find this too bright, not me. I doubt you'll fine a receiver that has a very warm sound like tube amps, etc. So the matching thing really depends on to what extreme your speakers are bright, warm, etc. The Axioms are bright sounding. Most speakers that measure flat get labeled that way. Your ears might like it, might not.

Okay, flame away. Any and all opinions, suggestions, ridicule, name calling, whatever, I'm listening and don't get offended too easily so let it rip.[/QUOTE]
You really should look at some other speakers. Nothing wrong with Axiom (I own a pair of M3Ti's) but they're not the end all be all.

kelsci
12-17-2006, 10:38 PM
If I could, I would get a Pioneer Elite VSX-81. A few weeks ago in a local store, I was able to listen just in stereo to this model versus some Yamahas and Denons. This model just knocked them dead. The sound quality reminded me more of a MacIntosh unit than a Pioneer. I have never heard the Axioms. I had to do a search on the web to see what they were. If I were not deploying a sub of any kind, I would choose the Elite because it has a loudness countrol which IMHO might benefit these M80s.

The only simple way that I can describe what the Elite did was with a sacd demo. of a guitar medley played over all the recievers. The guitar felt like it was in the sound room with the Elite model, not with the others, you could hear the player picking the strings of his instrument on the Elite, not with the others. As you cranked up the Denons, the sound began to distort which completely shocked me. The Yamahas audio was bland and without finesse. I would try to find a store to listen to the Elite models. If you happen to buy one without a demo, make sure, you can get your money back.

If it sounds good as I think it does, you will not need any separates.