MMG vs MC1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MMG vs MC1

charlescomplete
12-15-2006, 06:37 PM
ok, I have been arguing with a local audio dealer trying to sell me MC1s.. he seems nice and honest.. but I don't think the magnepan website would lie... he claims the MMG is smaller than the MC1 and not as good, he claims the MMG is only 1-way.. I suggested that he was thinking of the MMG W and he ignored me and went on talking.. he then let me borrow a pair of speakers he had there that he claimed were MMGs so I could hear the difference at home.. I get home and look at the model number and they are, without a doubt, MMG W series..

so I'm just looking for someone who may have owed both MC1 and MMG and knows better... why are the MC1s more expensive? which sound better? what are the differences?

My girlfriend is ready to buy the MC1s.. but if the MMG is even nearly as good I'd much rather spend the $200 difference toward a better subwoofer or phono stage and tube amp

thanks

Carl Reid
12-15-2006, 09:26 PM
I've owned neither so I hope you don't mind me contributing...

I'm sure the Magneplanar website is correct.... GO with the MMGs...

The MC1s are smaller speakers that are meant to be wall/cabinet mounted... which is why they cost more... they're designed for the crowd who want to hang their plasmas on the wall and hang their speakers as well...

but better performance should be had by getting the larger "two-way" MMGs....

Anyway that's what I've gathered from the Magne website and reviews...

And please remember to give a full review when you get a MMG... I'm really dying to hear them myself....

Oh one last thing: does the dealer sell MMGs? Cuz my understanding is that they are only available on the website... so even though he seems honest, he does have a major incentive to convince you not to buy them....

charlescomplete
12-15-2006, 11:12 PM
yeah, thats what I was thinking

and no he doesn't sell them, from what he was talking about it sounds like he doesn't even know which MMGs I'm speaking of.. he kept talking about them being one way and smaller blah blah.. but he apparently meant the MMG W.. so I don't know if he even knows the MMGs exist.. I'll probably go with the MMGs and just get a subwoofer or amp from him.. I can always trade the MMGs in if they don't sound as good and get a better pair. thanks for the reply

ericl
12-16-2006, 12:35 AM
i can't remember the explanation, but Wendell at Magnepan told me the MC1's are the better speaker.. they don't go as low, and require a sub, but they have a superior planar (or whatever) and have much better resolution. The MMG is a speaker to get you in the door, but the MC1 is more of a "real" maggie, just very small.. sorry this must have been a year ago that he explained this to me..

charlescomplete
12-16-2006, 02:13 AM
the MMG isn't bi-wireable, is it?

GMichael
12-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Go for the 12's.

Oops, that just slipped out.
Please ignore me.

Florian
12-16-2006, 08:01 AM
Yeah thats a good idea, how about checking www.audiogon.com for used 12's and enter the good music scene with a bang! :ihih:

GMichael
12-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Oooo...
1.6's for sale at 1200.00!

dfischer
01-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Charles:

There's a very simple answer. The MMG (Not the -w) is built for, and only viable on, stands. The planars don't load properly. Maggies can be location touchy. Thus the term WAF was born. Cause she won't. I have a very clear memory of *****ing at my wife for moving my maggies whenever she wanted to vacuam.

The MC-1 build to only work loaded on a wall and is dual range. The MMG-W is same, but single range driver. I am, in fact, buying a set very very soon, even though I'm sure I'll want the MC-1.... But for $300, I'm prepared to use them and move them someplace else if I don't like them. And I'm sure I'll want to more on the top, but we'll see.. Frankly, the next gen MC-1 will support motorized movement into place and that's just too cool. Plus the MMG-W is a bit smaller, so I'm thinking go w/the -W's and get the WAF resolved first...

Both will need a Strong Amp the can drive 4 Ohm loads. Not too many of those. Of course you'll need a good sub as well. I'm thinking AV123's ULW-10...

Hope I've helped.

dan

blackraven
01-03-2007, 07:49 PM
I own the MMG's (and the Q1.6's) and they are a 2 way dipole speaker with Fq response of 50-22,000kHz where as the MC-1's are only made for home theater use. The MMG's have a woofer and separate tweeter. The MMG's are only available from Magnepan on the internet or for direct pick up from their factory 20 minutes from where I live in White Bear Lake Minnesota.

If you can swing the money, get the MG-12's. They have deeper bass and a fuller sound and they don't necessarily need a sub like the MMG's. If your room is small however, then stick with the MMG, you won't be disappointed. For $500 you wont find a better sounding speaker, (that is of course if you are a fan of the planar sound.)

By the way, I had a cosmetic problem with one of my Q1.6's and brought them back to the company bypassing the audio store and they replaced them no questions asked.

I also talked to them about bi-amping and they were not too keen on the idea. They didnt think it made much difference in the sound of the magnepans.

jrhymeammo
01-04-2007, 02:50 AM
ok, I have been arguing with a local audio dealer trying to sell me MC1s.. he seems nice and honest.. but I don't think the magnepan website would lie... he claims the MMG is smaller than the MC1 and not as good, he claims the MMG is only 1-way.. I suggested that he was thinking of the MMG W and he ignored me and went on talking.. he then let me borrow a pair of speakers he had there that he claimed were MMGs so I could hear the difference at home.. I get home and look at the model number and they are, without a doubt, MMG W series..

I cant really tell from that, but it is possilbe that he's only trying to sell you what he likes? If so screw him. I would never buy anything from that guy. If he gives to a great deal on gears, then who cares. Just use him and get what YOU want. Remember, they are not your friends.

My girlfriend is ready to buy the MC1s.. but if the MMG is even nearly as good I'd much rather spend the $200 difference toward a better subwoofer or phono stage and tube amp

thanks

That sounds excellent. You should do it no matter what. But what tube amps do you have in mind for driving maggies?

J-Murda