Spiderman vs Order of the phoenix [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman vs Order of the phoenix

s dog
12-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Which of the two movies do you guys think will be the biggest hit and make the most money this summer. [ IN THE USA ONLY] I think it might be the phoenix because i think book no.7 is comeing out around the same time as the movie july 13 and that alone may get people going to see it. All age groups like both movies so it could be a very close race.Spiderman and Harry have lots of fans so they should do very well. I cant wait to see them both.

Dusty Chalk
12-15-2006, 02:49 AM
Spiderman would be my guess. Harry Potter has a devout following, but it's niche compared to the broad spectrum appeal of spiderman, even if he does turn black.

kexodusc
12-15-2006, 04:46 AM
Spiderman would be my guess. Harry Potter has a devout following, but it's niche compared to the broad spectrum appeal of spiderman, even if he does turn black.
I'm guessing Spiderman, too. Though on the whole I think the HP movies have been better, even if they are a bit more child-oriented.
Pretty sure Spidey will lose momentum by the 4th film release though. Especially if his films keeps going at the current pace. #3 looks a bit more promising, at least.

Worf101
12-15-2006, 06:29 AM
It's his suit that turns black... not him.

Da Worfster

GMichael
12-15-2006, 06:38 AM
I predict that Harry will take the early lead out of the gate. But Spiderman will stay steady for longer and eventually catch and pass Harry like a green apple. Both will do well in DVD sales also.

s dog
12-15-2006, 07:16 AM
I'm guessing Spiderman, too. Though on the whole I think the HP movies have been better, even if they are a bit more child-oriented.
Pretty sure Spidey will lose momentum by the 4th film release though. Especially if his films keeps going at the current pace. #3 looks a bit more promising, at least.
Im hopeing, now that a lot of the actors are getting a little older that the order of the phoenix wont be as child oriented as the earlier ones where. I've heard some say that this movies is going to be pretty dark compared to the others.

Carl Reid
12-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Im hopeing, now that a lot of the actors are getting a little older that the order of the phoenix wont be as child oriented as the earlier ones where. I've heard some say that this movies is going to be pretty dark compared to the others.

Regardless of the age of the actors, I don't expect Order of the Phoenix to be child oriented... so far the movies have been as faithful as possible to the Novels... and the Order of the Phoenix novel is DARK....

All that said, I still expect old blue tights to win overall (I think he may just have the edge in fan base, though Harry P has a massive amount of fans.... with books more addictive than crack)....

Geoffcin
12-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Which of the two movies do you guys think will be the biggest hit and make the most money this summer. [ IN THE USA ONLY] I think it might be the phoenix because i think book no.7 is comeing out around the same time as the movie july 13 and that alone may get people going to see it. All age groups like both movies so it could be a very close race.Spiderman and Harry have lots of fans so they should do very well. I cant wait to see them both.

But "Order of the Phoenix" isn't kids stuff, It's not just good vs. evil; Murder, torture, death of close family, it's all in there. JK Rowling doesn't pull her punches in this book. I would put Order up there with some of the best fantasy/fiction of the last 50 years. But don't take my opinion on this, a man by the name of Stephen King (a writer of some note) has written a pretty good review of this book. Quote;

"A more interesting question is when did Ms. Rowling stop writing the
stories for chidren and start writing them for everyone, as Mark Twain
did when he moved from Tom Sawyer to Huckleberry Finn and Lews Carroll
did when he moved from Alice in Wonderland to Through the
Looking-Glass? I'm guessing it was a process –– most subconscioius ––
that began with volume 3 (Azkaban) and hit warp speed in volume 4
(Goblet of Fire). By the time we finish The Order of the Phoenix, with
its extraordinary passages of fear and despair, the distinction
between "children's literature" and plain old "literature" has ceased
to exist. The latest Potter adventure could be The Catcher in the Rye,
minus the dirty words and the drinking...or maybe just the dirty
words: Just what the hell is butterbeer, anyway?"

Did King just compare Order with "Catcher in the Rye"? I think he did!

I really like Spidy, and I'm sure we're all waiting to see if he really does it with Mary Jane, but these last HP novels have got real meat to them. Also the movies have some pretty great actors too. I can't wait to see where Ralph Fiennes take Voldemort.

Dusty Chalk
12-16-2006, 05:01 AM
It's his suit that turns black... not him. That's what I meant. But in my defense, he changes too. Doesn't turn black literally, but it could be argued that he turns black in a metaphorical sense.

Delko
01-11-2007, 05:46 AM
Harry Potter will be the biggest movie. Everybody like it even me ;)

Kam
01-11-2007, 12:52 PM
it should be a fun race between the two. spidey 3 might do really well if it is true that this is the last one for this creative team and then if there is a #4, it will be with an entirely new team. i don't know if any of the key players are signed on for #4 or not. i'm guessing no. i'll be seeing both, so my vote is a wash on the stats.
the question is how many folks will be seeing spidey that WONT see order and vice versa? i think even that will be close as you'll have the anti-harrypotter people who wont even pick up the books for the only reason of thinking of it as kid-lit, and then the younger crowd that will be taken to see order but wont be seeing spidey.... i think it's gonna be close, but to make a pick.... i'll go with USA boxoffice winner Spidey3 (with Order winning the worldwide boxoffice).

Smokey
01-12-2007, 07:56 PM
After seeing the Harry Potter movie for the first time recently (Sorcerer's Stone), I would say Spidey probably be a bigger box office smash as Harry Potter tend to be gear toward younger audience. Where Spidy is more toward general audience.

As one reviewer noted on the net.....”If you seen one Harry Potter movie, you seen them all.”

Geoffcin
01-13-2007, 04:28 AM
As one reviewer noted on the net.....”If you seen one Harry Potter movie, you seen them all.”

I can't see how the reviewer could say that, perhaps he's never seen the movies? Not only are all the book different thematically, but all the movies are directed by different directors. Since the story is a time arc, the later ones are geared more toward adult lit. Book 5 I wouldn't even allow in a kids library! (JK)

s dog
01-13-2007, 05:50 PM
I can't see how the reviewer could say that, perhaps he's never seen the movies? Not only are all the book different thematically, but all the movies are directed by different directors. Since the story is a time arc, the later ones are geared more toward adult lit. Book 5 I wouldn't even allow in a kids library! (JK) I agree with you all the way, even the third movie was starting to lean towards the adult side a bit. The soccer moms i work with are scared to death of the books because there kids who have never read a book in there lives wont put the harry potter books down, so they think there must be something evil about them, I told them maybe they are just GOOD books, i also seen on a web site where down in the south some of the moms where trying to get the books thrown out of the school library, never heard what ended up happening.

icarus
01-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Even though I have always loved Marvel comics and find them way more compelling than Harry Potter, sadly I have read all the books, odds are that the new Harry Potter movie will be the bigger of the two. But i would definately say that the Spiderman movie will much better considering they introduced the symbiotes, and as all superhero movies probably deviated frorm the comics as well.

Geoffcin
01-14-2007, 05:28 AM
I agree with you all the way, even the third movie was starting to lean towards the adult side a bit. The soccer moms i work with are scared to death of the books because there kids who have never read a book in there lives wont put the harry potter books down, so they think there must be something evil about them, I told them maybe they are just GOOD books, i also seen on a web site where down in the south some of the moms where trying to get the books thrown out of the school library, never heard what ended up happening.

Trying to get it thrown out of the library. About the only thing that happend is that even MORE kids wanted to read it.

It's funny you should mention the third (movie) book, becasue that was the first one I picked up. My kids have had the books since the first one came out, but by the third book the buzz had gotten so big that I wanted to see what it was all about. To make a long story short the book wasn't at all like I expected. JKR doesn't treat her readers like kids in just about every way possible, heck there were even a few words used that I had to look up! By the fourth book the only thing "juvenile" left about the story is the setting (a school).