is it ok to change Grado stylus [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to change Grado stylus

dmoes
12-14-2006, 07:29 PM
I have been using a grado black for some time and I am pleased but its time to replace the stylus. the local dealer says that the cartrage will dry out and that if the stylus is worn its best to replace the whole cartrage rather than just the stylus. I have my doubts that he is telling the whole story.

is it a bad Idea to change just the stylus is there a maximum age or number of times a sylus can be changed before the Grado Black cartrage is going to go bad? is the dealer telling the truth or is he just :ihih: trying to sell me a cartrage I dont need?

royphil345
12-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Just get the stylus. The stylus assembly contains the rubber suspension which is the only moving part that could "dry out". There are many places online to buy it. Could probably get a better price and less headaches.

The Grado cartridges are a moving iron design. Not sure if the magnet is in the cartridge or stylus assembly. Could weaken over MANY years... Other than that... the cartridge just has a couple cores with wire wound around them inside. Should last a LONG time. Many people use cartridges that are 20 years old. That's why they sell replacement styli.

JohnMichael
12-15-2006, 07:40 AM
I wonder if he was referring to that black compound around the coils and where the stylus is seated. If that is dry it may increase resonance and change the sound.

dmoes
12-16-2006, 07:59 AM
Does the replacement stylus come with this black compound ?

JoeE SP9
12-16-2006, 08:35 AM
No, the black compound is installed at the time of manufacturing. If your cartridge is old enough to be concerned about drying out why not just buy a new cartridge? Grado Blacks only cost $40.:idea: