Best Holiday Film (non-cartoon) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Holiday Film (non-cartoon)

PeruvianSkies
12-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Ok, What is the best Christmas Holiday film that is a non-cartoon?

Smokey
12-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Well, Christmas will not be Christmas without Tiny Tim :D

So will go with A Christmas Carol, but the 1951 B&W British produced version with Alastair Sim as the Scrooge.

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/elsewhere/images/2004/jan2/sim.jpg

markw
12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Heck, he doesn't have a leg to stannd on in comparison to "A Christmas Story". He'll shoot his eye out.

There were some advantages of being born and growing up in the last days of great AM radio, one of which is beibng treates to some of some great story tellers. I grew up listening to Jean Shepard (the narrator and writer of the stories in this movie) almost every night growing up. When I first saw this movie, heard the voice and the stories therein, I was hooked.

FWIW, that movie comes from stories in his book "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash"

ForeverAutumn
12-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Hands down it's A Christmas Story for me. Hubby and I watch this on Christmas Day every year, before heading over to his Mom's for Christmas dinner. It's become a tradition. Some years we watch it more than once.

I also love the old Bing Crosby musicals... Holiday Inn and White Christmas.

GMichael
12-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Put me down for Miracle on 34th Street. I always watch this one. But I plan on turning TSO into my next X-mas classic.

Dusty Chalk
12-13-2006, 04:01 AM
Easily, the musical version of "A Christmas Carol", Scrooge (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066344/) for me.

Oh, and where the L is Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058548/combined)? That one would have been high on my list. Maybe #2.

I hate carp like "Miracle on 34th Street" or "It's a Wonderful Life". Mostly because I get stuck watching them when they come on, and always feel like such a non-macho when I...erm... when I get something stuck in my eye at the end.

JSE
12-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Christmas Vacation for me, but just by a hair over Christmas Story. We watch both of them every Christmas. Uncle Eddie is the tie breaker.

ericl
12-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Can you guys figure out my vote?

Groundbeef
12-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Wheres Elf? Thats the top dog right there. I'm abstaining until its added!!

ForeverAutumn
12-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Wheres Elf? Thats the top dog right there. I'm abstaining until its added!!

OMG! OMG! OMG! I can't believe that I forgot Elf. After I mentioned it in the cartoon thread and everything! Yes, Elf. That's my pick. My new favourite, nudging out A Christmas Story by a hair.

Resident Loser
12-13-2006, 01:11 PM
...A Christmas Story...

Don't get me wrong...A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim is a perennial fave, the George C. Scott version isn't bad either, don't think I ever saw the '38 version with Reginald Owen...Miracle On 34th St. is right up there...It's A Wonderful Life...Christmas Vacation (a bit of trivia: Mae Questel aka Aunt Bethany was the voice of Betty Boop and Olive Oyl)...How about Laurel & Hardy's March Of The Wooden Soldiers...or Blackadder's Christmas Carol...

In fact unless I'm mistaken, one of the local (NYC) independent TV stations used to play King Kong, Son Of Kong and Mighty Joe Young back-to-back on Christmas...so even they have a certain connection with Christmas (or was it Thanksgiving? markw help me on this)

But...from Little Orphan Annie's secret message via the Ovaltine decoder pin to the "Oh fudge" flat tire to the smiling Chinese Christmas duck...not to mention the late Darren Mc Gavin...sooooo

jimHJJ(...I rest my case...)

GMichael
12-13-2006, 01:30 PM
...A Christmas Story...

Don't get me wrong...A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim is a perennial fave, the George C. Scott version isn't bad either, don't think I ever saw the '38 version with Reginald Owen...Miracle On 34th St. is right up there...It's A Wonderful Life...Christmas Vacation (a bit of trivia: Mae Questel aka Aunt Bethany was the voice of Betty Boop and Olive Oyl)...How about Laurel & Hardy's March Of The Wooden Soldiers...or Blackadder's Christmas Carol...

In fact unless I'm mistaken, one of the local (NYC) independent TV stations used to play King Kong, Son Of Kong and Mighty Joe Young back-to-back on Christmas...so even they have a certain connection with Christmas (or was it Thanksgiving? markw help me on this)

But...from Little Orphan Annie's secret message via the Ovaltine decoder pin to the "Oh fudge" flat tire to the smiling Chinese Christmas duck...not to mention the late Darren Mc Gavin...sooooo

jimHJJ(...I rest my case...)

OOO OOOO Laurel & Hardy's March Of The Wooden Soldiers! Can I change my vote?

RGA
12-14-2006, 01:38 AM
I will go with Scrooge 1951 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044008/ with Alistair Sim

Some on that list I don't think are very good but in the spirit of Christmas I won't rip em too much. I do enjoy Christmas Vacation for the pur absurdity of the thing -- and when Clark finally gets the lights going it's a true Home Improvement revelation.

I warmed up to the film Scrooged whcih I did not like when I saw it the year it came out. However it seems to play better now and Bill Murray and the ghost of Christmas past (Latka's wife from Taxi) are hilarious together.

And while it is not Christmas I also watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles every Christmas.

Dusty Chalk
12-14-2006, 02:57 AM
For Films with only a loose connection to Christmas, I go with Serendipity.

kexodusc
12-14-2006, 04:40 AM
A Christmas Story here - I had a stupid aunt who use to knit us the most offensive gifts too.

Christmas Vacation is a close second.

Geez, is Elf really that good?
Maybe I'll check it out this weekend.

I also like the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special, and the Trailer Park Boys Christmas Special...

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2006, 05:54 AM
Geez, is Elf really that good?
Maybe I'll check it out this weekend.

I was never a fan of Will Farrell's. I hated him on SNL. I didn't want to see Elf, but some friends dragged me to the theatre when it came out. I was in tears, I was laughing so hard. I watched it on DVD last year, just to see whether it was really that funny or I was just in that kind of mood the first time around. It was really that funny.

If only he'd shown some of that comedic brilliance on SNL. The story is kinda silly and totally predictable, but Farrell is hilarious.

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2006, 05:56 AM
I warmed up to the film Scrooged whcih I did not like when I saw it the year it came out. However it seems to play better now and Bill Murray and the ghost of Christmas past (Latka's wife from Taxi) are hilarious together.

The Night The Reindeer Died. I love it!

And while it is not Christmas I also watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles every Christmas.

Another great one that I forgot about.

PeruvianSkies
12-14-2006, 08:24 PM
I don't see the fascination with ELF and it's not even that old to really be considered with the otehrs.

SlumpBuster
12-14-2006, 09:06 PM
I gotta go with Christmas Story off the list, but its also interesting to see what non-Christmas movies people associate with Christmas.

When I first saw the thread I thought of Oliver! and Titanic. Both just seem to be associated with Christmas for me. I seem to watch one or the other every year. I know I saw Titanic the first time on Christmas day, so maybe that is the association.

Groundbeef
12-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't see the fascination with ELF and it's not even that old to really be considered with the otehrs.

No real fascination, its just a great movie. As far a being "old" what does that have to do with anything? Black and White aint the only game in town anymore. Frankly, the message in "A Wonderful Life" is great. The movie...not so much.

Ferrall plays a damn good elf, and my kids think its hilarious...because it is really funny.

But to each his own.

RoyY51
12-17-2006, 05:23 AM
Put me down for "The Bishop's Wife". Cary Grant and David Niven in great form, and a wonderful Christmas message.

PeruvianSkies
12-17-2006, 09:59 PM
The point is that ELF is a more recent holiday film and does not have the longevity of the other films to really be up for consideration. All of the other selections are at least 10 years old and as far as black and white goes...4 out of 10 of the titles are in b&w while the other 6 are color films. Age has nothing to do with color, especially since the first color films appeared in the 1920's. So your argument about black and white is obsolete.

Is ELF the best holiday film? Maybe to some, but I think that a better argument for your opinion is needed to truly beat out some of the other selections. ELF is not even Will Ferrell's best movie. It has some humorous moments, but it has more misses than hits. First and foremost the film is just like a 90 minute long SNL skit that just goes on and on and on. It would have worked much better as a quick SNL skit, but instead we are dragged through a 90-minute torture test that uses the same punchline to get laughs. Will Farrell is a 6 foot elf...HAHA. Ok, so what else ? Well, nothing he is just really big and elves are suppose to be small. Oooh. Wow, that's funny. So funny that it should be a long movie revolving around that same point. As if that isn't bad enough the ending is completely out of nowhere as it goes for the sentimental sappy ending that doesn't even fit the rest of the film. I was so glad that I had just seen BAD SANTA before this film that year and got some laughs there.

Kam
12-18-2006, 08:34 AM
i went with Christmas Story for all the reasons already mentioned, but in the aforementioned Films with only a loose connection to Christmas, i'd go with Die Hard. :)

topspeed
12-18-2006, 11:33 AM
I triple dog dare you to pick something else besides A Christmas Story!

Look, when a movie has become so ingrained in the public consciousness that they spoof it on cell phone commercials, you know it's a classic.

How many don't know what "You'll shoot your eye out!" refers to?!?

BTW, I agree that ELF should be on the list. Of the recent holiday movies (within the last 10 years), this is the one that seemed to have the most heart. More than any other newer movie, this is the one that I can sit down with my kids and enjoy as much as they do.

Groundbeef
12-18-2006, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=PeruvianSkies}Is ELF the best holiday film? Maybe to some, but I think that a better argument for your opinion is needed to truly beat out some of the other selections. ELF is not even Will Ferrell's best movie. It has some humorous moments, but it has more misses than hits. First and foremost the film is just like a 90 minute long SNL skit that just goes on and on and on. It would have worked much better as a quick SNL skit, but instead we are dragged through a 90-minute torture test that uses the same punchline to get laughs. Will Farrell is a 6 foot elf...HAHA. Ok, so what else ? Well, nothing he is just really big and elves are suppose to be small. Oooh. Wow, that's funny. So funny that it should be a long movie revolving around that same point. As if that isn't bad enough the ending is completely out of nowhere as it goes for the sentimental sappy ending that doesn't even fit the rest of the film. I was so glad that I had just seen BAD SANTA before this film that year and got some laughs there.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Elf is a Holiday film. Unless you like your Christmas message in October or July, I think Elf is best viewed around the Holidays.

Like I said, to each his own. You don't like Elf, ok. Bad Santa? That film was just repulsive, obscene, and stupid. How many jokes did that film have? 3. Drunk Santa, Horny Santa, and Bad Attitude Santa. Talk about the same jokes for 90 minutes.

But I know plenty of people that felt it was a riot. I didn't get it, and I don't really care to.

But I do think that Elf will have staying power. Every "Classic" on the list was young once.

JohnMichael
12-19-2006, 10:38 AM
I had to vote for Miracle On 34th St. Once again I love it when people fall in love and lose their cynicism. I love the scene where the postal workers deliver all the mail to the court room. Reminds me of Valentines day at my house.

Dusty Chalk
12-19-2006, 01:30 PM
How many don't know what "You'll shoot your eye out!" refers to?!?Uh...I kinda know what it refers to, but I think that's too vague -- I've known that sentence to exist before the movie came out. That's what made it so good -- it was true to life.