MORE cartridge advice: low compliance?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MORE cartridge advice: low compliance??

Feanor
12-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Folks here seem to know what they're talking about! Some I'm going to ask around the issue of compliance.

I've heard around here that a low compliance cartridge is best with the relatively massive tonearm on Technics SL-D2. How do I know whether a cartridge is low compliance. Problem is the specifications are missing or difficult to interpret in many case.

Most common specifications look like:

<VALUE>{value} x10<SUP>-6</SUP>cm/mN -- "times ten to the power of minus 6 centimeters per milli-Newton"
{value} μm/dyne --"micrometers per dyne"
{value} mm/N -- "millimeters per Newton"These, at least, can be converted to a common base, (i.e. 1 Newton = 100 dyne; μm = 10<SUP>-6</SUP>m; mm = 10<SUP>-3</SUP>m; cm = 10<SUP>-2</SUP>m), although it's a pain in the butt. :incazzato:

But I seen other weird stuff. For example Grado shows compliance as CUs {value}. What the hЄll !?! :confused:

But basically the lower, (smaller), value means lower compliance, right??<VALUE>

JoeE SP9
12-12-2006, 11:38 AM
If you are bringing up capacitance it is something that is not very important with MC cartridges. It is important with MM cartridges. An incorrect capacitive load will alter the high frequency response. Most MM's seem to work best with about 250pf. Shure cartridges like 400pf.:idea:

squeegy200
12-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I am confused.

Are not capacitative characteristics independent of physical compliance characteristics? Both are mentioned in the question.

Feanor
12-12-2006, 12:54 PM
I am confused.

Are not capacitative characteristics independent of physical compliance characteristics? Both are mentioned in the question.

I meant to say "compliance" in all instances. :(

Feanor
12-12-2006, 12:56 PM
If you are bringing up capacitance it is something that is not very important with MC cartridges. It is important with MM cartridges. An incorrect capacitive load will alter the high frequency response. Most MM's seem to work best with about 250pf. Shure cartridges like 400pf.:idea:

Compliance, not capacitance. Sorry, my dumb.