SIRIUS or XM, the deathmatch [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SIRIUS or XM, the deathmatch

audio_dude
12-11-2006, 07:20 PM
ok, now i want to purchase my dad a sattelite radio for his car/home this X-mas, which is best??

he listens to Classic Rock, Rock, a few things like jazz and classical won't hurt ether. Not too much into the talk radio thing, might like NHL broadcasts tho.
I think the biggest thing is sound quality, which one sounds the best? because the content is pretty similar, so, which on is it?

and if you recommend one, please recommend a receiver to go with it too. (under $200 plz)

let the fights begin!

audio_dude
12-12-2006, 04:50 PM
what?!? no reply's? no people bashing? WHERES MY BLOOD AND GORE!!!

topspeed
12-12-2006, 05:43 PM
I have both: XM at home via DirecTV and Sirius in my wifes SUV. She likes Stern, so I got it for her last Christmas. Sound quality, they are pretty much the same with varying degrees of warbling and compression, depending on the channel you're on. Neither sound as good as regular FM, IMO. I prefer Sirius' rock selection over XM and the fact that you can hear NFL games doesn't hurt.

Most receivers can be had for around $50. We've got the Replay, which comes with a pretty handy remote and everything you need to get up and running in a couple of minutes.

http://www.krunker.com/wp-content/2005/11/SIRIUSStarmateReplayRadi.jpg

Fergymunster
12-12-2006, 05:52 PM
I have both: XM at home via DirecTV and Sirius in my wifes SUV. She likes Stern, so I got it for her last Christmas. Sound quality, they are pretty much the same with varying degrees of warbling and compression, depending on the channel you're on. Neither sound as good as regular FM, IMO. I prefer Sirius' rock selection over XM and the fact that you can hear NFL games doesn't hurt.

Most receivers can be had for around $50. We've got the Replay, which comes with a pretty handy remote and everything you need to get up and running in a couple of minutes.

http://www.krunker.com/wp-content/2005/11/SIRIUSStarmateReplayRadi.jpg
I have that exact model in my car.I've had it over a year and it's still kicking.I use a Sirius in home reciever when at home.My vote goes to Sirius as well

audio_dude
12-12-2006, 07:40 PM
what about NHL games, which one has 'em

sirius has more rock eh? hmm

Olivertmc
12-15-2006, 11:04 AM
My vote goes to XM. I've had it for about a year and love it - also they carry (I think) all NHL games. For sports, it seems to be the better of the two since it has MLB, NBA, PGA, NHL and Nascar licenses. Also, I'm a huge Opie & Anthony fan which is usally what I end up listening to anyway. Their music channels are good - I've discovered a lot of new artists by listening to different stations.

audio_dude
01-02-2007, 11:45 AM
well this thread went nowhere fast...

Sweet Spot
01-02-2007, 12:48 PM
My vote goes to XM. I've had it for about a year and love it - also they carry (I think) all NHL games. For sports, it seems to be the better of the two since it has MLB, NBA, PGA, NHL and Nascar licenses. Also, I'm a huge Opie & Anthony fan which is usally what I end up listening to anyway. Their music channels are good - I've discovered a lot of new artists by listening to different stations.

I'll pretty much second this post to the T. OnA Ron and Fez fan, plus all the sports are covered. As for NFL on the RADIO ? Sorry but, NFL is a really hard sport to "visualize" with even really good commentary. It's a t.v. sport period. Baseball ? Yeah, very radio. The biggest difference between XM and Sirius is their playlist strategies.

Sirius tends to overplay the hell out of everything, and most of their stuff is really popular stuff, most of which can be heard on terrestrial radio. Sure, there are times when I've heard music on Sirius that have made me say "oh cool, it's nice to hear this being played, you'd never hear this on FM radio", but most of the time, I'd say that XM is the one to go for if you like discovering new music and artists.

They do have the bases covered in terms of top tracks, classical, jazz and blues, but if you're a metal-head, the selection is probably lacking a bit compared to the stuff Sirius has. There are 2 primary metal channels, one being very hardcore, and the other being hair band stuff, and things like Metallica etc.. For classic rock, I wouldn't say that XM doesn't have that, because they do.

What cinches it for me after the programming, is the hardware. Um, Sirius execs...wake up please. No one wants to carry a brick in their pockets for portable use, nor do people want to hide their entire front panel or dashboard with a huge chunk of metal for the frame to hold the cinder block like unit ! Moreover, Sirius STILL doesn't offer a portable which can record on the fly ! They're waaay behind.

Just my .02 pence.

D.

blackraven
01-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Have you guys heard of HD Radio. Its free and digital so it gives digital quality broad casts. Its the radio of the future because its free. Many stations are already broadcasting in HD radio as well as anolog. The beauty of HDR is that the stations now broadcast on sub channels multiple programs and multiple music formats at the same time. The sound is amazing and manufacturers of audio equipment, especially car stereo are starting to make radios with HD tuners. Radio shack has a bedside HD radio for $130 and it sounds great.

I think XM and Sirius are in trouble once HDR takes hold.

audio_dude
01-04-2007, 06:10 AM
yeah, i decided against buying one, i'm gonna wait and see where HD radio goes, because sirius and XM... its just like...not GOOD enough...

Sweet Spot
01-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Have you guys heard of HD Radio. Its free and digital so it gives digital quality broad casts. Its the radio of the future because its free. Many stations are already broadcasting in HD radio as well as anolog. The beauty of HDR is that the stations now broadcast on sub channels multiple programs and multiple music formats at the same time. The sound is amazing and manufacturers of audio equipment, especially car stereo are starting to make radios with HD tuners. Radio shack has a bedside HD radio for $130 and it sounds great.

I think XM and Sirius are in trouble once HDR takes hold.

I don't know anything really about hd radio except for the hype about SQ, so this is a question, and not a sarcastic remark: HD radio is free but, what will the content of the stations be ? Why would I want to spend any amount of money on HD hardware, when the content I get is the same old dreck which is on regular radio, except in HD quality ? Seems to me that if it IS the same content, the saying "no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig..." holds a lot of truth.

The point of Sat radio (if and when done right) is for the consumer to be able to access a much broader variety of artists and music which isn't necessarily dictated by how much money the record labels throw at the stations to play their crap. If though, HD radio hardware will allow the end user to block certain content, which say might not be suitable for minors, then I can see the potential. Otherwise, where's the breakthrough for terrestrial ?

blackraven
01-05-2007, 08:06 PM
The point about HD radio is that each station can have sub channels and broadcast different radio formats and contents to compete with sat. radio. So now instead of just a few local radio stations you can many more per radio station. I'm not saying that you will have as good a choice as SAT, but the potential is there. And HD radio will eventually replace standard radio.