Amazing Christmas Lights [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Christmas Lights

ForeverAutumn
12-11-2006, 04:30 PM
This house is only a few blocks from our house. We drive past it several times a December to get in the spirit. The family uses their own house and yard and their neighbour's yard so the full length is probably a couple of hundred feet. The filmed sequence doesn't do it justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj0pu-t31lw&mode=related&search=lindsay%20lights

tin ear
12-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Ah yes - the Light-O-Rama box. I bought a 16-channel one of those when I got caught up in the fever, after seeing Carson Williams' video last year. http://www.lightorama.com/Videos.html

Was slammed back to earth once I found out how tedious it is to program the box. :(

Jon

ForeverAutumn
12-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Excellent. Thanks for the link. I'll definately be checking some of those out. I love this stuff!!!

topspeed
12-12-2006, 09:17 AM
I always wondered how they did that, thank's for the info. I love the holiday's, but unless I can hire someone to do that to my house, it ain't happen'! That simply requires more time than I have.

basite
12-12-2006, 12:37 PM
OMG!

can these people sleep at night? and aren't they blind by now?
well done though,

now i want it in my back yard :ihih:

peace,
Basite.

jrhymeammo
12-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Not much of a christmas guy, but I always manage to get a piece of Pine about 2-3" long, and place it on a wall with a red pin. It's magical!!!!

tin ear
12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Excellent. Thanks for the link. I'll definately be checking some of those out. I love this stuff!!!
Autumn, just go to planetchristmas.com (http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/)
Find the Vendor *** Light-O-Rama forum.

Programming the thing is not hard - it's graphical, not like you have to write code or anything - but to me it is well, tedious.

Grandpaw
12-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Ah yes - the Light-O-Rama box. I bought a 16-channel one of those when I got caught up in the fever, after seeing Carson Williams' video last year. http://www.lightorama.com/Videos.html

Was slammed back to earth once I found out how tedious it is to program the box. :(

Jon

Looks interesting, did you get it working and is a 16 channel enough to do much with or would a 32 be needed? Jeff

ForeverAutumn
12-12-2006, 08:05 PM
OMG!

can these people sleep at night? and aren't they blind by now?
well done though,

I can't speak for the others, but this family turns their lights off at 11:00. What's also really cool about this is that the music is programmed on an FM radio station. The transmission is less that a kilometre, but you can pull onto their street and tune your car radio to the station to hear the syncronized music.

Dusty Chalk
12-13-2006, 04:04 AM
I can't speak for the others, but this family turns their lights off at 11:00. What's also really cool about this is that the music is programmed on an FM radio station. The transmission is less that a kilometre, but you can pull onto their street and tune your car radio to the station to hear the syncronized music.That's pretty hip.

tin ear
12-13-2006, 05:44 PM
I can't speak for the others, but this family turns their lights off at 11:00. What's also really cool about this is that the music is programmed on an FM radio station. The transmission is less that a kilometre, but you can pull onto their street and tune your car radio to the station to hear the syncronized music.

Oh, yes; it's all well thought out -- a gadget-freak's dream. You can buy all the controllers, interconnects, wireless modules, etc. from LOR. If they don't sell the FM xmitter yet, someone on PlanetChristmas does. It's all quite a trip. Lots of fun. I just got bogged down, is all. The programming is time-consuming. I hear that once you get good at it, it's not too bad. I haven't given up, but it is on hold.

I even built a couple of wireframe yard-art items out of steel rod and rope lights. That was fun, with the welding and all, but that tedious damned programming of the LOR box just... I dunno.

Grandpaw, each 8 channels can run 15 amps (it's rated for 20A but you have to get a bigger fuse). So a 16 channel box will run a lot of lights. (That's two full breaker-box circuits of just lights!) But the more channels you have, the more independent things you can do. I could be mistaken, but I think it takes at least 32 channels to run one of those "mega-trees" that spin and all, as shown on some of those videos. OTOH if you don't want one of those, then yes 16-32 channels should do a heck of a lot, by my standards anyway. The key is to start small-ish & work your way up. IIRC the 16-ch box is ~$300, plug & play. They also have kits.

I bought the thing like in May. Almost got one whole song programmed on 8 or so channels. But no, I have not tried it in realworld. The software has a graphic simulator where you can draw a concept of your lights, then the program you write blinks them, as a preview of what your lights will look like when you hook them up.

You program one or more songs, which make up a program. Your computer runs the show through the cxontroller box. Sorta like if you have ever seen on the History Channel how high tech fireworks displays are done.

HTH -- I know kind of a lot about this, so feel free to ask whatever you want about it.

Jon

tin ear
12-13-2006, 05:55 PM
...I was finally able to buy Trans-Siberian Orchestra's The Lost Christmas Eve the other day, and I have someone's Wizards In Winter program, which I downloaded some months ago. So I may be able to throw something together now, If I can find the time. It's getting kinda late for this year, but Christmas lights in July never really hurt my feelings all that much...

-j