Best Christmas Cartoon! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Christmas Cartoon!

topspeed
12-11-2006, 11:33 AM
There are few things in this world that I enjoy more than sitting down with my kids and watching these classics just like I did when I was their age. I still remember the excitement I felt when CBS would have the spinning "Special" logo fly at you right before one of these would start. I can still hear the drums for that theme...

So, with that in mind let's hear it for your faves. I'm not including any updated crap like Garfield's Christmas or suchlike. Most of this was done before a lot of us were born, as it should be. That's why they are classics!

Merry Christmas to my friends at FF and AR!

GMichael
12-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Polar Express and the DVD from TSO.

GMichael
12-11-2006, 12:01 PM
OK OK, I'll vote on a classic (read, old classic). I've always like Rudy, but The Little Drummer Boy is the one that always moved me the most. Maybe because he was so poor? Nah, it was the drum. Bah rump pump bump......

kexodusc
12-11-2006, 12:25 PM
How can you argue against Rudolph? Yukon Cornelius is the greatest character of all time!!!
(check out them Noise Cancelling 'phones he's got on, too)

topspeed
12-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Polar Express didn't do it for me, Mike. I can't really put my finger on it as to why, it just wasn't that interesting. Besides, this is for classics. If PE is still being played in 50 years, then it will be included in the poll.

my vote:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DKk9rv2hUfA

JohnMichael
12-11-2006, 12:36 PM
How the Grinch Stole Christmas is my all time favorite cartoon. Presents or no Christmas was still celebrated. The bad guy was won over by the towns spirit. Sniff, sniff...gotta go.

ForeverAutumn
12-11-2006, 04:27 PM
As a kid, Rudolph and Frosty were long-standing favourites. But these days I have to go with Charlie Brown. Love that soundtrack!!!

For modern day classics, nothing beats Elf IMO.

Dusty Chalk
12-12-2006, 02:15 AM
I always enjoyed the Island of Misfit Toys scene from Rudolph, but the rest is just too miserable.

Heat Miser for the win. And you misspelled Santa Claus.

And "Olive the Other Reindeer" is a recent favourite.

Worf101
12-12-2006, 04:34 AM
First poll I wish I'd thought of myself. Congrats man. It was neck and neck between Charlie Brown and Grinch. Had to go with grinch though cause of the songs, the late Boris Karloff and the classic animation.

Da Worfster

bobsticks
12-12-2006, 05:35 AM
As a kid I liked Charlie Brown, but I loved the Grinch.

topspeed
12-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Well, the Grinch and Charlie are neck-in-neck followed closely by a reindeer that looks like he's hit the bottle a little too hard. The question is, with the Grinch making his annual appearance tonite on ABC, will voters be swayed as we come down the home stretch? Time will tell...

Heat Miser for the win. And you misspelled Santa Claus Oops. Sometimes my fingers move faster than my brain. Unfortunately, there's no way to edit the poll, so we'll just have to deal with it.

First poll I wish I'd thought of myself.Honestly, I've been waiting for you to post this one! As the holiday was rapidly approaching, I figured I'd better throw it up there before we ran out of time. Hey brother, I'm just trying to live up to the standards you've set! :cool:

Woochifer
12-12-2006, 02:49 PM
As a kid, it was hands-down Santa Claus Is Coming To Town ... after all, Santa did not stick around long enough for me to ask him all those annoying questions about how he came up with his career choice! I also liked that it had a somewhat offbeat sense of humor.

Then as a teenager/college student, it was all about The Year Without a Santa Claus, for one reason and one reason only -- those epic Heat Miser/Snow Miser musical numbers! To this day, that tune is forever burned into my head! Otherwise, this special has a lot of weak moments. Sadly, NBC decided to further marginalize this children's classic by making a LIVE ACTION REMAKE (?!). It aired last night, and I simply refuse to watch something as pointless as this. John Goodman as Santa?! Michael McKean as Snow Miser?!

Which leads me to the one that I actually voted for -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. I liked it as a kid, but its life lesson about the meaning of Christmas is as timeless for adults as it is for kids. Add Vince Guaraldi's classic soundtrack, and it's a winner!

BTW, Rudolph has stayed a consistent #2 throughout all my lifecycle vascilations. It's a great adventure, and a wonderful story of perseverence and valuing those around you who might be a little bit different.

PeruvianSkies
12-12-2006, 05:11 PM
What about MR. MAGOO's Christmas? Dang funny!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Peabody
12-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Is it the age or number of times viewed that makes a classic?:) Because I think the number of times my daughter has watched Sponge Bob's Christmas special, just this season, is approaching 7 digits!

Hum-bug! Oh, that's not a cartoon

kelsci
12-13-2006, 02:11 AM
A cartoon called THE SNOWMAN. I saw it on HBO many years back.