Video Switching? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Video Switching?

Olivertmc
12-11-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi all:

Currently, I have a Marantz SR-5000 as my ht receiver. However, I just purchased the Marantz SR-7001 and will be performing the big installation in a few weeks. My question is regarding video switching. What is the purpose of video switching on an av reciever? Right now, I have all my video sources fed into my tv, and I change the video input via a harmony remote when I watch a movie, watch tv, etc. Why is using the av receiver as a switcher beneficial? I've read so much about it over the last few years, but just can't "get it". I'd appreciate it if someone here could enlighten me. Thanks.

Olivertmc

Carl Reid
12-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Ok... I'm not an expert on video switching but my basic understanding of it is that it simplifies control of your system...

So when you select the correct input on your receiver it will automatically send the correct video signal to your tv... so you only have to change one input as opposed to changing audio on the receiver and then changing video on the tv....

However, since (like me) you have a Harmony Remote which handles all the real work of switching from signals... then I suspect that Video switching will be of zero benefit to you...

Olivertmc
12-11-2006, 12:24 PM
That's what I figured - thanks for your help.

Groundbeef
12-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Actually, I have found video switching VERY beneficial. I had a box surround system, and a harmony remote. I had problems with audio syncing to my TIVO as the audio was played through the box system, and the video went straight to the TV. The lips were about .5 sec ahead of audio.

Quite annoying when watching almost all TV. When I switched to my Pioneer AV reciever, ALL audio and video go through it.

It syncs up the video and the audio, and I have no problems now. And I have the Xbox 360 Harmony remote. It is SWEET.