Hook up Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hook up Question

thekid
12-11-2006, 05:43 AM
I have a simple HT set-up in the master bedroom using a Sharp 25inch TV, Panasonic HE-75 reciever and a Toshiba DVD player. The TV has only 1 S-Video and 1 set of composite connections, the DVD player only 1 S-Video, 1 Coaxial connection and 1 set of component connections. The reciever has the following connections;

Rear Input Connectors RCA (2 Audio Channels) x 5 • Digital Coaxial x 1 • Digital Optical x 2 • Composite (Video) x 4 • S-Video x 3
Rear Output Connectors RCA (2 Audio Channels) x 2 • Composite (Video) x 2 • S-Video x 1
Surround Analog Inputs 5.1 Channels x 1
Preamp Outputs Subwoofer.

I would like to run the TV audio through the reciever but I must be missing something very obvious here because when I try to to do that according to the directions in the reciever manual I don't get anything. I am pretty sure that even with the limited number of connections on the TV and DVD player I should be able to do this.

Anyone have any suggestions????????

elapsed
12-11-2006, 06:21 AM
I would connect your system as follows:

DVD Player -> receiver, S-Video
DVD Player -> receiver, Digital Coax or Optical Audio (or RCA if that is your only option)
Receiver -> TV, S-Video

You didn't mention if you have have a Cable Box or not. If so:

Cable Box -> receiver, S-Video
Cable Box -> receiver, RCA

If you don't have a Cable Box:

Wall -> TV, coax
TV -> receiver, RCA

I would also suggest purchasing a Universal Remote to simply the setup. Enjoy!

markw
12-11-2006, 06:27 AM
Your TV needs an audio output to do what you want. You would feed that to an open line level (aux) input on the receiver and enjoy.

If you don't have that, you will be limited to use the receiver for any source fed to (and through) the receiver.

If you are using a cable box to tune the TV channrls, perhaps that has an analog output you could use?

bfalls
12-11-2006, 07:01 AM
You shouldn't have any problem getting your equipment to work. Connect the DVD player's S-video out to the receiver's DVD S-video in. Then connect the DVD player's optical output to the receiver's Optical 2 (DVD). Also connect the DVD player's R/L analog outputs to the receiver's analog CD in for CD playback.

If you have a satellite or cable STB (Set Top Box) connect the box's S-video out to the receiver's S-video TV in. Then connect either its digital output to the receiver's Optical 1 (TV) or analog R/L TV inputs depending if you have a STP capable of digital out. Then connect the receiver's Monitor out to the TVs S-video input. This should allow you to play either TV or DVD with S-video quality video and either analog or digital sound.

thekid
12-11-2006, 08:03 AM
I appreciate all the feedback I am sorry I forgot to mention there is no cable box.
I have the cable going directly from the wall to the TV.
The DVD hook up is not a problem that is working well.
I tried connecting the RCA's on the Reciever to RCA's on the TV but no luck so I am thinking I may not using the right RCA hook up between the TV and the Reciever.

Any further help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

markw
12-11-2006, 09:10 AM
The TV has only 1 S-Video and 1 set of composite connections,Are there red/white audio jacks? Are they inputs or outputs? If they are inputs, it ain't gonna work for your purposes. You need red/white analog audio output jacks.

To simplify, if your TV does not have red/white analog audio output jacks, you ain't gonna be able to do what you want. You need a TV that has them.

Apparantly you missed this in my previous post, although I can't see how.

Carl Reid
12-11-2006, 09:40 AM
To simplify, if your TV does not have red/white analog audio output jacks, you ain't gonna be able to do what you want. You need a TV that has them.

Mark is 100% correct on that one.... either your tv has audio out or it doesn't.... and you need audio out to do what you want to do...

If you have it, then it should be a simple enough process.... I pretty much had the same set-up you're talking about, 6 years ago when I was a kid.... my Sharp 25 inch tv had audio out that I connected to my Technics (Panasonic) receiver....

thekid
12-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks to all for your help. MarkW you hit it on the head-I found my TV's specs on line and the component connection was input only. I went ahead and dragged out an old VCR that was gathering dust and used it to provide the RCA inputs/outputs needed and voila stereo TV in the bedroom!