Week 22: 50 Albums That Changed Music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Week 22: 50 Albums That Changed Music

Swish
12-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Here's another one that, to me, smacks of these British music critics choosing someone who is a "darling" instead of someone who may be more deserving. A bad choice? Not really, but one of which I would question the validity. And the choice is Kate Bush - The Hounds of Love (1985)

On Side One our Kate strikes a deal with God, throws her shoes in a lake and poses as a little boy riding a rain machine. Turn over, and she's drowning, exorcising demons and dancing an Irish jig. All this to a soundscape that employs the shiniest synthesised studio toys the Eighties had to offer in the service of one women's (sic) unique yet utterly English musical genius. Listen again to the delirius cacophany of 'Running Up That Hill' and it sounds like God struck that deal. Without this...Tori Amos would have spawned no earthquakes, Alison Golffrapp would lack her juciest cherries and romance would have withered on the vine.

I don't know. I think Kate is pretty good and all, and I have this cd, but was it really that influential? Do we really need Tori Amos? And romance would have withered on the vine? It appears they need to list a number of other "major" artists whom they believe she influenced, otherwise, they don't pose a very good argument for inclusion, do they?

Swish

MindGoneHaywire
12-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I don't have it, and I can't answer whether or not it was influential. Generally speaking, although this list has cliched choices & weak rationales, a lot of the choices have made sense even though it doesn't jibe with taste. It surprises me, actually, that some of us that are used to throwing up our figurative hands in dismay at 'best' lists are reading so many of these choices in that context. In other words...I would probably agree with the thought that Tori Amos...'unnecessary,' so to speak, but she exists, she is or was popular and/or important and/or relevant, whatever, therefore...

...I think we all know that's what they're really driving at here, but it seems that we've only been able to agree that it's a sloppy job that would benefit from a little more logic & a little less hip-straining and/or attitude.

That said, I do think Kate Bush was pretty big in the UK. I KNOW there are far more obscure (to us in the US) choiices coming up that are probably going to cause some people to say worse things about this list than were said in any of the more controversial threads of late (including the Spice Girls). I understood that choice, and, for better OR WORSE, most of the choices so far.

It's a UK paper.

Swish
12-10-2006, 02:44 PM
I would probably agree with the thought that Tori Amos...'unnecessary,' so to speak, but she exists, she is or was popular and/or important and/or relevant, whatever, therefore...

...I think we all know that's what they're really driving at here, but it seems that we've only been able to agree that it's a sloppy job that would benefit from a little more logic & a little less hip-straining and/or attitude.

That said, I do think Kate Bush was pretty big in the UK. I KNOW there are far more obscure (to us in the US) choiices coming up that are probably going to cause some people to say worse things about this list than were said in any of the more controversial threads of late (including the Spice Girls). I understood that choice, and, for better OR WORSE, most of the choices so far.

It's a UK paper.

...just that I felt they could have offered more examples of the artists she supposedly influenced. They name two, and one is a dubious choice at best, regardless of your tastes. By not doing so, they bring this choice into too much question, and in my mind, she was chosen on the basis of her being British and a media darling.

Swish

MindGoneHaywire
12-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I wasn't looking to come down hard on you, sorry if I misread yr intent. The paragraph deigning to explain the choice is weak indeed, perhaps the weakest yet, but, again, I read it as somewhere between the Britishness of the choice, and the hipster straining of the choice. The Spice Girls choice was short on artists also, if I recall...which is not an excuse. I suppose they're assuming that one should be as aware of the Kate Bush influence they detect without naming names, as the last one, which to most of us I think is obvious, regardless of anything posted in that last thread.

In any case, Tori Amos or not, in terms of the US, this is a choice that I don't see much validity in.

Hey! I know! This album was a huge influence on lazy-a$$ hipster Brit rock critics!

BradH
12-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Here's another one that, to me, smacks of these British music critics choosing someone who is a "darling" instead of someone who may be more deserving.

As far as I'm concerned there are very few artists who can or ever could touch Kate Bush, male or female. Yeah, she's a darling of the critics and she's monster huge in the U.K. The question is, does this particular album belong on the list? It's widely considered her best but was it more influential than her whole career in general? I doubt it.

It's another lifetime acheivement award from the Guardian.

bobsticks
12-10-2006, 05:56 PM
FWIW I tend to agree with Brad's point of view on this, if only to be nice and open to a world point-of-view...

...but would the world's musical walls come tumblin' down without Goldfrapp?

3-LockBox
12-10-2006, 06:58 PM
It's another lifetime acheivement award from the Guardian.

Yep. They shoulda stuck with just naming their favorite artists, rather than trying to list influencial albums.

If this article were a term paper, it'd get a C+ at best; the professor would hand it to the originator with a note saying, "stay within the context of the title of the paper".

Dusty Chalk
12-11-2006, 03:21 AM
Bad choice. If anything triggered "girl power" it was Kate's earlier album, Never for Ever.

And personally, I disagree that Tori is as influenced by Kate as some people perceive. I agree they sound alike, but I think that's more from similar influences than being influenced by. Tori was a pianist first -- add a female lead singer with a similar vocal range (and a desire to caterwaul) to a primarily piano-driven sound, and there's very few directions the stew can go.

I think she's already more prolific.

That said, watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9lHb7KStic) if you want a laugh. I really like the way he presents all sides of the argument, and then some.

Troy
12-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Another BAD, provincial choice.

Never been a fan of Bush. Never heard anything really original thing from her. She's like a prog-lite version of Joni Mitchell.

Who the hell is Alison Goldffrapp and why is she important? Tori Amos wouldn't exist without Kate Bush? Baloney. There are plenty of other influences on Amos. It ALL goes back to Mitchell directly.

Why is 90% of rock music made by men and half the artists on this list are women?

LOL, this list is quickly spiraling out of control.

BradH
12-11-2006, 02:24 PM
It ALL goes back to Mitchell directly.

I don't know what "ALL" is supposed to mean. Kate Bush has as much in common w/ Joni Mitchell as Peter Gabriel has with Bob Dylan.

Prog Lite? Nothing original? Sorry man, I'm calling total bullsh!t on that one. You may not like what she does, fair enough, but she never sounded like anyone but herself - even on the two songs recorded when she was seventeen on The Kick Inside.