Can this 6.1 be done??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can this 6.1 be done???

thekid
12-10-2006, 03:53 AM
I had a 3 am idea that sounded great at 3am but like most 3am ideas I have it probably won't survive the light of scrutiny.....

I currently have a 5.1 set-up using a Pioneer 815 reciever, Bose 201's front and 161's rears-(Bose bashers please move on-it is what I have to live with for the moment) I have another set of 201's and since the reciever is a 7.1 unit I have the following question(s).

I can't run the traditional 6.1 set up with 4 surrounds in the back/side so what would happen if I put the extra 201's in the front using the back surround connections? These speakers would actually sit 3 feet higher than my other fronts and be about a foot inside of them. My gut feeling is that for HT this would probably have bad consequences for the sound field but what would be the results when listening to music and TV?

Could I use the zone settings of the reciever to keep my normal 5.1 set-up for HT and then run this 6.1 set-up when listening to other sources?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Dusty Chalk
12-10-2006, 05:47 AM
I can't run the traditional 6.1 set up with 4 surrounds in the back/side so what would happen if I put the extra 201's in the front using the back surround connections? Probably a bad idea. Just because you have extra speakers, doesn't mean you have to use them. A well set up 5.1 system will be superior to any badly set up 6.1 or 7.1 setup (and yes, putting the rears in front counts as badly set up).

Sorry for the bluntness, you caught me in a non-diplomatic mood.

thekid
12-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks Dusty.

I kind of knew the answer before I asked the question but it kills me I can't utilize my reciever's potential. My current HT room dimensions just are not making this possible unless I go along the side walls and the WAF is not going to allow this. Someday......