I'm still looking... How about this TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm still looking... How about this TV

Grandpaw
12-09-2006, 07:25 PM
This TV has the cable card and the QAM tuner which I think would be nice to have along with 1080P. These are some of the things I am looking for along with many other things and this TV seems to have everything I think I want.

I would be interested in any opinions or comments, Jeff

Take a look here to see it. Good price and free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-57731-1080p-DLP-HDTV/dp/B000FVCOGC/sr=1-17/qid=1165719525/ref=sr_1_17/102-7106669-7818549?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video#moreAboutThisProduct

elapsed
12-09-2006, 08:06 PM
You may also want to consider an LCoS set, such as the new JVC D-ILA FH97 Series: http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HD56FH97-1080p-HDILA-Projection/dp/B000HE6IY6/sr=8-2/qid=1165723385/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-5325524-2140845?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Here's an overview of LCoS vs DLP, to see which technology is right for you: http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcos.htm

The frontrunning LCoS sets on the market are JVC D-ILA and Sony SXRD. Under ideal lighting conditions, I find LCoS to be simply stunning.

Mr Peabody
12-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Looks like a lot of TV. Don't let sales people down play the fact that DLP's have to have the lamp replaced. You are looking at $200.00 to $300.00 every 1800 to 2000 hours of viewing. If this is to be a family TV something to think about. The bulb is also mercury and will require special disposal which was a hassle to say the east. With other technologies becoming more competitive you might want to price alternatives. I do like my cable card feature. It does not allow interactive use like Pay Per View and limited guide use. My Sharp LCD has an excellent guide that will show you what's on and if you see something you want to watch just press the remote button. My Sony tube with cable card doesn't offer much more than the channel number.

AVMASTER
12-10-2006, 05:52 AM
have you actually seen this television? DLP microdisplays use a spinning color wheel, for some people this can cause a rainbow effect; I believe there's a Samsung DLP with LEDs that eliminates that issue. The Mits is attractively priced with lots of goodies but if rear projection works for you I would highly recommend LCoS from JVC.

topspeed
12-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Another vote for HD-iLA (LCoS) from JVC, for all the reasons already mentioned. I considered a Mits DLP before I bought my JVC, but when compared side by side, the difference was obvious. My wife thought the difference was night and day, and she could care less about this stuff!

Mr Peabody
12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Doesn't he JVC iLA still use a projector bulb?

Grandpaw
12-12-2006, 05:41 PM
I would like to thank everyone for trying to help guide me on my new TV qwest.

I haven't tried buying something that was this much of a pain in the axx or as confusing in years. Every time I read reasons to go in one direction on a purchase there is something telling me another way would be a better choice.

It seems like the way you pick a TV these days is to pick the one that has the least amount of options that you don't like instead of getting something that really fits what you want. I guess one option would be to wait untill some of the bugs are worked out, Jeff

edtyct
12-13-2006, 02:33 PM
It seems like the way you pick a TV these days is to pick the one that has the least amount of options that you don't like instead of getting something that really fits what you want. I guess one option would be to wait untill some of the bugs are worked out, Jeff

You really think so? I guess if you're buying on price alone, the negative principle would be true. Or if bugs are the real stumbling block, by the time you wait for all of them to be worked out, the market will be flooded by new products and technologies with their own bugs, and all the while, the supplanted technologies would depart without having cured the common cold either. CRT, the oldest of the lot, still has its inherent problems--not the least of which is inevitable obsolescence when the spot beam takes its toll and the tubes deteriorate.

Microdisplays do need their lamps to be relaced periodically, but, barring terrible misfortune, they don't wear out that fast, and if they do, you often have recourse. LCD flat panels have lamps, too, and they can fail. Sharp's are the only ones in my experience that are replaceable--easily, anyway.

On the positive side, a lot of good options are currently available from the standpoint of performance. If sitting on your hands now, however, could guarantee that your TV of choice would be a safer purchase later, then not buying in the eternal present would certainly be a good idea, but these are incredibly complex instruments. For what it's worth, to my mind, you take whatever precautions make sense, or are affordable, and buy a TV that fits your budget and needs. You're more than likely to be happy with it if you buy well than to be miserable. LCDs, DLPs, and plasmas are no longer the stuff of early adopters. I wish that fact were enough to guarantee their complete reliability, but nothing can do that.

Mr Peabody
12-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Ed, LCD flat panels like the Sharp Aquos etc., they don't use lamps, do they? That's the same technology as computer monitors and I've never heard of a lamp being replaced. I'm assuming you are talking about the LCD rear projector.

If I had it to do again, I'm not sure I'd select DLP or any lamp based technology. The manufacturer rates them at 1,800 to 2,000 hours, based on your TV usage, do the math and see if you are ready to spend $200. to $300.00 each time. With all that said, and I could rant more but I won't, my Toshiba sure has a good picture. I just didn't realize it would cost me so much or be such a hassle.

edtyct
12-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Ed, LCD flat panels like the Sharp Aquos etc., they don't use lamps, do they? .

They sure do. You know the old saying, "Behind every great LCD flat panel is a great big shiny fluorescent bulb," or something like that. These bulbs slowly lose their brightness over time and sometimes even their ability to show color correctly. Unless I've missed a change or two, only Sharps give consumers the privilege of replacing one that has burned out. It can be done with other models, precariously, but it ain't recommended. The good news is that because estimates for the lifespan of the better LCD lamps is about 60,000 hours, no one needs to worry about it under normal circumstances. But, unlike digital RPTVs, when LCDs lose their light, they lose their life, presumably. In twenty years, those microdisplay owners who've had to change their lamps eight times can finally have the last laugh on the flat-panel owners who'll have to buy whole new TVs when their lamps finally die.

Mr Peabody
12-13-2006, 07:26 PM
If the rest of the TV lasts 20 years, we will be doing pretty darn good. If technology is going like it is now, I wonder who would keep one that long anyway, that's a long time to wait for a laugh :)