Norman Laboratories Model 10's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Norman Laboratories Model 10's

cas5255
12-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Purchased a pair of Norman Model 10's in 1978. They are great. Wish the comany was still around. Over the years have the breaker switches in each cabinet have become corroded. Would like to replace or repair but I can't see how they can be removed. Any ideas?

Rock789
12-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Purchased a pair of Norman Model 10's in 1978. They are great. Wish the comany was still around. Over the years have the breaker switches in each cabinet have become corroded. Would like to replace or repair but I can't see how they can be removed. Any ideas?
take some photos

blackraven
12-10-2006, 05:20 PM
I used to live in Oklahoma in the 70's and 80's where Norman labs were built. They were very nice sounding speakers and very popular at the time. Too bad about the speakers.
Have you taken them to a repair shop or is there any way to by pass the breakers and install new one's?

cas5255
01-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Haven't taken to repair shop. They work well as they should accept once in a while the breaker will trip. Surprises me because I don't crank'em like i could or used to. When I go to reset it's always kinda iffy that they'll go back to normal mode. I'll probably wait til the time they trip and I can't reset as I usually do before I take to the shop, they're huge and heavy. Just thought there would be a way to do some maintenance or replace the breakers myself but I can't see how to get into the cabnet. The wood and finish is so beautiful, I'd hate to mess it up messing around. I'll get some pics soon and post. Thanks

aevans
01-11-2007, 10:18 PM
most access if through the woofer, although I have no idea what the speakers look like. as for a fix, I'd just bypass it with some nice quality speaker wire.

Rock789
01-12-2007, 06:07 AM
without pictures, I am guessing...
they are probably removable from the inside of the cab... (take a speaker out to get to the breaker)
a replacement breaker is probably available somewhere, but if not, something similar could take it's place with a little cab modifications...

Mahoning Valley Electric Service usually does a good job finding odd parts if you have trouble locating a replacement (but good idea to do your own search first),
you would need the info off the breaker (part number, manuf, voltage & current ratings...)
their number is (330) 783-0837