I killed it... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I killed it...

royphil345
12-08-2006, 07:59 PM
The anti-skate spring on my old Sony PS-X5 was about half a gram weak and had a max setting of 3 grams. With the new Denon DL-103R tracking at slightly over 2 1/2 grams... I ran out of anti-skate during my final tweaking. Forgot about that when I bought the cartridge. Tried to shorten the tiny, delicate anti-skate spring a bit. Knew it was risky... I killed it... Bought it on eBay a few years ago for a little over $35.00 shipped, so I'm not gonna' cry.

Brand new Technics SL-1200MK2 will be here Tuesday. Always wanted to try one of those... Whatever I break can be easily replaced on this one!!! Boy am I getting broke... LOL

Will miss the automatic functions... Good used tables are getting much rarer and more expensive compared to a couple years back. They're getting older too. Time for something new. I should try to get a hold of that other PS-X5 owner I ran into here and see if he wants it for parts. In pretty good shape except for that one little spring...

jrhymeammo
12-08-2006, 08:44 PM
The anti-skate spring on my old Sony PS-X5 was about half a gram weak and had a max setting of 3 grams. With the new Denon DL-103R tracking at slightly over 2 1/2 grams... I ran out of anti-skate during my final tweaking. Forgot about that when I bought the cartridge. Tried to shorten the tiny, delicate anti-skate spring a bit. Knew it was risky... I killed it... Bought it on eBay a few years ago for a little over $35.00 shipped, so I'm not gonna' cry.

Oh No!!!!

Brand new Technics SL-1200MK2 will be here Tuesday. Always wanted to try one of those... Whatever I break can be easily replaced on this one!!!

Oh Yeah!!!!!! Something I've been curious about too. Always wanted to find out what dat hype is all about.

Boy am I getting broke... LOL

Oh No and DAMN IT PHIL!!!!!! Your posts are always packed with great and terrible news... I like it.

Will miss the automatic functions...

Maybe....

I do envy people with detachable headshells...that's something I will consider when I do buy a new TT. Congrats on your new purchase man, I bet it'll sound great. How is your PP2?

JRA

royphil345
12-08-2006, 09:02 PM
I still like the PP-2. Went back and forth between it and the Rotel several times. PP-2 always comes out slightly ahead. Just got the 750ma power supply I bought on eBay for $14.00 shipped. Can't try it out... no turntable... :( One place is selling a 1 amp PS for it for $59.00, so I guess I got a good deal. The $59.00 PS isn't even regulated either... People say it makes a difference. I'm guessing the bigger PS might be less prone to voltage variations when the same amount current is drawn.

Yeah... I almost had to choose the Technics since I just fell in love with a cartridge that likes high-mass tonearms. And... I've been one of the few direct-drive guys around here for a while... Didn't want to mess with tradition!!!

TNT gave the Technics a really nice review and paired it with a Denon 103. http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/technics_sl1200_e.html Their reviewers seem to be some of the few that will actually speak up when they don't like something (they bash a Grado in this review). So, I'm hoping for the best. I think it should outperform my old Sony by a bit... and look better doing it. :)

Jim Clark
12-08-2006, 09:07 PM
bad news. everything I've read would indicate that the 1200's are indestructable. You'll have it for years to come.

no more horror stories to post.

jc

royphil345
12-08-2006, 09:10 PM
It wasn't really a horror story... It was a cheap table I got some use out of...

I wasn't really looking to spend money on a new table now. But, you're right... Should be the last time (I'm getting old... LOL).

"I do envy people with detachable headshells...that's something I will consider when I do buy a new TT."

Another thing I'll miss... The Sony had places to store my two other headshells with cartridges. I think the basic SL-1200MK2 model has no extra headshell storage. The PS-X5 was a nice old table... Oh well... Sometimes I screw up... :)

Feanor
12-09-2006, 05:40 AM
Yeah... I almost had to choose the Technics since I just fell in love with a cartridge that likes high-mass tonearms. And... I've been one of the few direct-drive guys around here for a while... Didn't want to mess with tradition!!!

TNT gave the Technics a really nice review and paired it with a Denon 103. http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/technics_sl1200_e.html Their reviewers seem to be some of the few that will actually speak up when they don't like something (they bash a Grado in this review). So, I'm hoping for the best. I think it should outperform my old Sony by a bit... and look better doing it. :)

Interesting the reviewer briefly mention the Technics SL-D2 of which I recently acquired copy. Like him, I'm gettin enjoyable results.

Like the review and from what I know about TTs, I would by the SL1200 in a jiffy. As less than dedicated vinylphile and -- I like to think -- not an audiophool, I could live with its small limitations. (Admittedly I's rather have auto tonearm return feature: scoff at that if you will.)

royphil345
12-09-2006, 06:04 AM
Yep... There's even a picture of your turntable in the review with a Denon 103 on it. Did you see???!!!

I completely agree with you. I will miss the automatic functions. I like the quartz-locked tables though, and the older Technics MK2 series automatic quartz-locked tables are becoming known to develop several problems (after 25 years or so of service). Didn't want to take the chance on another weak anti-skate spring either. Most only go up to 3, leaving little room for "stretching" when using a cartridge that tracks at slightly over 2 1/2. The thought of a brand new table that parts could be obtained for was sounding good to me at the moment... for some reason...

I'll just have to make some CD's for playing when I don't want to "babysit" the turntable. My records will last longer...

GMichael
12-09-2006, 06:23 AM
May it rest in pieces.
Long live the new toy!

royphil345
12-09-2006, 06:31 AM
May it rest in pieces.

LOL... I was going to say that in one of my posts, but it didn't turn out that way. Thanks!!! I'm sure it'll work out great.

jrhymeammo
12-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Hey Roy, where did you buy it from? 1200s have adjustable VTA!!!!!!!!!! That's good 'nuff for me.

JRA

JohnMichael
12-09-2006, 10:42 AM
I would not worry too much about anti-skating on a low compliant heavy tracking cartridge. Some believe that once above 2 grams and low compliance anti-skate is not a problem. Some of VPI's tonearms have no anti-skating function.

royphil345
12-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Hey Roy, where did you buy it from? 1200s have adjustable VTA!!!!!!!!!! That's good 'nuff for me.

JRA

I took a chance and bought it at etronics.com. It's one of those New York places that has some VERY low prices, but if something goes wrong with your order or item... probably don't expect the best service. Possibly "grey market" goods where the warranty wouldn't be honored. Would probably shy away from buying something more complex or expensive from them. Table has been shipped and I got a tracking number. So far... so good. Paid $399.00 with their free shipping for using PayPal offer. I don't think there's a lower price out there.

John...

Yes, I've seen some tonearms without anti-skate. Think I remember reading that there was some somehow built into the design though. I know I could hear when it was set wrong on the Sony. I was at 1/2 a gram over the stylus pressure setting on my lighter tracking cartridges. I started out matching the stylus pressure setting with the Denon, and sure enough, my ears kept making me raise the setting until I ran out of anti skate. Actually, it was real close and the max setting may have been perfect. But how would I ever know for sure without trying a little higher??? I would have never slept again!!!... LOL

royphil345
12-12-2006, 07:41 AM
OH WOW...

It just came to mind that the Sony has (had) one of those adjustable weights that sticks off the side of the tonearm...

Bet I could have adjusted that until the readings on the anti-skate matched the actual force. Think sliding it in towards the arm would cause less inward skating force.

Hindsight is 20/20... Think I ruined my table for nothing... Live and learn...

New Technics should be here TODAY!!! ... very excited...

If the sound doesn't blow me away compared to the fully automatic Sony... I may just get another someday (or even a non-working parts table just for the spring)... keeping that adjustment in mind...

squeegy200
12-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Speaking of a parts table. I just acquired an NAD 5125. I see these things sell on the auction sites for around $50. (Its not the Rega P2 version) But it was given to me. It is a nice simple semi-auto turntable. Its got nothing on my other table but after closer examination, it seems the bearing and spindle are detacheable as well as the motor assembly.

Maybe this would be a good source for parts and build my own turntable. ;)