Insignia redesign [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Insignia redesign

polkymon
12-08-2006, 06:21 PM
After listening to all the noise about these speakers I finally went and got a pair.

Not bad looking. Cabinet a little on the light side. Impressive gloss baffle bezel. Banana terminals looked better than the Lsi9's I had.

Played them for about 2 hours and agreed that for $21/ ea. they are a steal. Imaged nicely and only an occasional honk. :3: Wife loved the way they looked and complimented the living room.

So I took them apart. :yikes:

The sidewalls were light from the bending technique used so I filled them with Olympic wood filler. An entire 8 oz. can per side using the Best Buy gift card I purchased them with. The bottom got an added 1/2" mdf layer and I also added mdf over the existing baffle. Sound deadening panels will be added as well as carpet padding.

The cabinet will now be used upside down with the port hole serving as a tweeter cutout and the speaker terminals are now towards the bottom where they should be. Makes me think that the cabinets were a production screwup and were acquired for zilch. Would explain the pricing anyway.

I plan on making these ported so I will install one behind the tweeter. I.25" dia. is all it can handle without getting into the sidewalls. The interior volume is around .30 cf. or so. I am now looking at drivers but not sure how much I should spend on this project. The RS150 would do but I'm not sure about their power handling. (I've blown one already). Suggestions for driver/x-over combos would be appreciated. These are being designed for stereo listening.

Dusty Chalk
12-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Nice!

audio_dude
12-09-2006, 10:54 AM
wow, perfect DIY project i'd say! damn, i sooo have to get my relatives in albany to pick me up a pair of these