Sirius Radio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Radio

JeffKnob
12-08-2006, 03:09 PM
I have a sirius radio. I cannot remember what the model is. They claim the sound is CD quality but it just doesn't sound like it. It sounds like a 96kbps mp3. I do know that my unit was one of the cheapest models so could the quality be because of my receiver? If so, are there some inexpensive models that would be recommended?

bubbagump
12-11-2006, 05:19 PM
I've had the service for about a year. They seem to allocate bandwidth unevenly. The Stern show, their flagship, probably sounds the best (burps and farts never sounded so good). The NPR channel sounds like a low bit rate mp3 by comparison. The music channels sound pretty good, somewhere between Stern and NPR. All are clearly compressed however and definitely not CD quality. I think you're being generous when you compare the sound to 96kbps mp3's. I'd guess somewhere around 48kbps at best. A different radio might help but I wouldn't count on it.

audio_dude
12-11-2006, 07:16 PM
is XM the same thing? cause i'm thinking of buying my Dad a sattelite radio for X-mas, which is better?

bubbagump
12-12-2006, 03:59 AM
I don't have XM but I'd guess the quality is similar to Sirius. It would be best to choose the service based on content. Whatever the audio quality, if the content isn't something worth listening to, it's not worth having the service. If your dad is an nfl or stern fan, go sirius. If he's a baseball fan, go XM. Check out each website for programming.

Fergymunster
12-14-2006, 01:07 PM
I have a sirius radio. I cannot remember what the model is. They claim the sound is CD quality but it just doesn't sound like it. It sounds like a 96kbps mp3. I do know that my unit was one of the cheapest models so could the quality be because of my receiver? If so, are there some inexpensive models that would be recommended?
If you dad has a stereo of some sort you could always get the Sirius SR-H550 satillite receiver.The sound quality is much better hooked up to a system that has speakers and some kind of system.I have mine hooked up to my Denon mini system and it sounds much better than my in the car Sirius starmate replay.

Rock&Roll Ninja
12-19-2006, 08:10 PM
My wife works for Sirius radio. The "music channels" are just CDs ripped to MP3 (Just like FM radio). They used to be of higher bitrate, but when they started adding more & more channels the quality dropped. I'd say most of it is @64kbps.

The "live" material is alot better. Some of it actually approaches CD quality.

And even though' it makes our car payments, I still think the idea of paying for radio is stupid.

Complaint #2: When Sirius & XM were new, they both touted "deep tracks" and non-repetitive playlists. Of course people complained and many of the channels now play the same 40 songs every day.

Heres the final testimonial: We get the service & products for FREE and don't use it (she gives her units to family members as cheap gifts). (except the T-shirts that corporate likes to order 10,000 units of every month. Can never have enough T-shirts).

audio_dude
12-20-2006, 03:02 PM
yeah, XM and Sirius sounded like great ideas at first... but then like any radio, they wanted more PROFIT! so... this is what we end up with...

Rock&Roll Ninja
12-20-2006, 05:08 PM
yeah, XM and Sirius sounded like great ideas at first... but then like any radio, they wanted more PROFIT! so... this is what we end up with...
Its even funnier because they haven't turned a single nickel of profit yet. Sirius won't be profitable until late 2007/early 2008 at current subscription rates. If Howard dies of a heart attack, they be F'ed.

DiscoRage
02-11-2007, 05:56 PM
I posted a thread during the summer asking the exact same thing. I'm using Sirius Canada, and I'm very disappointed with the quality. I thought it was my receiver too.

It's part of my HT, and I rarely listen to it because the quality is just so bad. I would have canceled it, but for some reason, they don't appear to be charging my credit card anymore, so what the hell. :ciappa: