Quad 21L or Wharfedale Diamond 9.5? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quad 21L or Wharfedale Diamond 9.5?

charlescomplete
12-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Hello, I've been reading reviews and been trying to buy a cool pair of speakers along with a new amp.. right now I am borrowing a pair of cerwin vega vs150's.. they're ok.. I'd like something better, and they're a little big for me.. they're being driven by a yamaha cr600 I was lent.. I want equipment of my own but I've been struggling trying to decide which to buy.. I'll probably go with the outlaw rr2150 or the marantz pm7200 as they both have the features I'm looking for, including a phono stage.. they also both have excellent reviews..

As for speakers, everyone raves about the quad 21l.. the wharfedale 9.5 too.. I'm not sure if quad would be too big of a step from the cerwin vegas.. as I haven't really experienced anything else.. so maybe the wharfedales would be decent and then in the future I could upgrade.. or if I could get the quads now and I wouldn't need to, I'm just worried that I wouldn't appreciate the difference as much without hearing more speakers. Also, would the 21Ls produce enough bass? I don't like tons of bass, but I would hate if there wasn't enough

My room is about 25' x 12' with an 8' or 9' ceiling.. I've found the wharfedales online for $800 or so.. I could get the quads for $1000 if I do it soon.. I also like the looks of the quads much more.. but that doesn't hold up much with audio heh.. what do you all think?

oh, my main source of audio right now is a music hall mmf-5 turntable.. getting a cd player after amp and speakers.. right now I just use the mmf-5 and imported cd's from my computer.. I also plan on setting up the tv/dvd player to the stereo

thanks
-charles

BillyB
12-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Hello, I've been reading reviews and been trying to buy a cool pair of speakers along with a new amp.. right now I am borrowing a pair of cerwin vega vs150's.. they're ok.. I'd like something better, and they're a little big for me.. they're being driven by a yamaha cr600 I was lent.. I want equipment of my own but I've been struggling trying to decide which to buy.. I'll probably go with the outlaw rr2150 or the marantz pm7200 as they both have the features I'm looking for, including a phono stage.. they also both have excellent reviews..

As for speakers, everyone raves about the quad 21l.. the wharfedale 9.5 too.. I'm not sure if quad would be too big of a step from the cerwin vegas.. as I haven't really experienced anything else.. so maybe the wharfedales would be decent and then in the future I could upgrade.. or if I could get the quads now and I wouldn't need to, I'm just worried that I wouldn't appreciate the difference as much without hearing more speakers. Also, would the 21Ls produce enough bass? I don't like tons of bass, but I would hate if there wasn't enough

My room is about 25' x 12' with an 8' or 9' ceiling.. I've found the wharfedales online for $800 or so.. I could get the quads for $1000 if I do it soon.. I also like the looks of the quads much more.. but that doesn't hold up much with audio heh.. what do you all think?

oh, my main source of audio right now is a music hall mmf-5 turntable.. getting a cd player after amp and speakers.. right now I just use the mmf-5 and imported cd's from my computer.. I also plan on setting up the tv/dvd player to the stereo

thanks
-charles
25 X 12 is a very large listening room.Consider the 22L's which are the big brother of the 21L.The extra 6.5" driver allows the 22L to push a little more sound and they definitely go lower with the bass.They are about $450 more than the 21L but that size room really merits the investment.I have the 22L's in a 20 X 13 room with a 14' cathedral ceiling and while they do take forever to burn in they are simply amazing speakers.If there is a better $1600 speaker on the market I have yet to hear it and as you already know they're absolutely beautifully made speakers.