pulled the trigger...replacing my HK receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : pulled the trigger...replacing my HK receiver

Tarheel_
12-08-2006, 09:14 AM
with a Pioneer VSX-1016 from vanns.com for $409 shipped.

I've had my HK 525 since 2003, and well it's time for something new. Searched the specs and find this model to be an outstanding value.

i'll try to get a review of some sort up next week or so. Setup looks daunting...many more tweaks than my 2002 model HK.

Only obvious shortcomings is weight....Pioneer comes in at 33.5 lbs -vs- the HKs' 42lbs.

thekid
12-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Congratulations on the new addition. More outputs I am sure than the old HK but you will like the Auto-Calibration feature.

I look forward to seeing your review since I have the Pioneer 815 and have been wondering whether to do a small upgrade to the 1016 and move the 815 into the bedroom HT.

Tarheel_
12-08-2006, 11:00 AM
thanks ...at this point i'm not sure if it's an upgrade. The HK retailed at $1200 and this receiver at $500. The HK would not remember my settings and honestly, i'm just looking for something new to try.

I'll let you know how it works out.

kexodusc
12-08-2006, 12:30 PM
I dunno, Tarheel, that Pioneer is no slouch. The same Elite version costs a good penny more. The processing upgrades alone are significant and the power is probably close, if not equal to the H/K. A good chunk of the the weight difference could probably be accounted in lighter, cooler psu and heat sinks. Receivers have dropped quite a bit in price lately too.

I think you'll be surprised. My old Yamaha RX-V1400 was $900 or $1000 or something when it hit in 2004, the 1016 is at least equal.

Let us know what you think.

Tarheel_
12-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Kex, glad you spoke up...actually started researching this AVR after reading your comments a while back. I compared plenty of recievers and this kept coming to the top...even comparing it to the Denon 2807, it stacks up well.

and the price is almost hard to believe.

i'm looking forward to all the tweaks since i'm running a 7.1 setup with 6ohm speakers for center and fronts...Infinity Primus 150s for the sides and surrounds. I think they are 8ohm.
should be a good workout for the Pioneer. I watch hockey and DVDs loud (basement).

Should take a week or so to fully adjust the settings. My first THX receiver so i'm anixous to compare the THX modes and the PL IIx. My HK just had PL II (5.1) and so i enjoyed the DTS:NEO6 Music mode even over the Logic7 7.1 modes.

kelsci
12-09-2006, 12:05 PM
I am looking forward to your comments on this unit.

recoveryone
12-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Good deal Tarheel, I too just picked up a new receiver, Pioneer Elite VXS-81 TXV to replace my aging Elite 26 TX. The 26 was starting to show its age by coming down with the no sound issue at times. I did a review of the 81 in the review section if any one is interested.

kelsci
12-20-2006, 10:52 PM
Hi recoveryone; I looked in the Pioneer Receiver reviews section and could not find a listing for the 81. However, recently my brother was on a kick to buy a new receiver. All I can say is that the showrooms are not well equiped to demonstrate equipment. We did however get to listen in stereo fed by a music server the 81 as against upper tier yamahas,ES sony's and Denons. Rather than going into the details of what I heard, the 81 fed the same signal knocked all the other brands DEAD. The sound was like more of a Mac Intosh. One could hear a guitar medly's guitar strings being plucked on the Pioneer 81, not the others. This receiver exhibed tremendous power versus the others as the volume increased. We did not hear it in surround sound, however, if the surround is as good as the audiophile grade stereo it delivered you should have a great receiver.

recoveryone
12-21-2006, 09:07 AM
sorry about that I used the add area to post it, but I will give you a bit if info here. The unit is what I would call the next level of AV systems. It has connections for IPOD (patch cable comes with unit) WMA9 and XM radio. Full HDMI support with 2 inputs and 1 out along with the ability to up convert all analog sources to full 480p/576p through the HDMI output. It has 4 optical inputs 1 out and 2 coaxial, 2 components inputs 1 out, RS-232c computer connection for Advance use of the MCACC system. The MCACC system is the major plus, it had my system tailored to a level I have not reach with using a sound meter. The sound of this unit is very detailed and clear even from my older cassette player.

More DSP than you will need and a Auto select to relieve you of having to make changes each time you switch sources. The maunal is easy to read and well worth the time reading. My old 26TX was no slouch, but the sound field is much more seemless across all channels. I used U571 (first 5 min depth charges) and SW EP1 (pod race) to do some surround testing. All I can say is WOW!!!!.

For the most part I would say it was the MCACC system that made the difference. I know the yammie have a mic tuning system for their unit, so I would say if you are looking to replace/upgrade look for this option. I played a few DVD audio disk(Donald ***an, Alica Keys and Peter Gabrial) to get a taste and I was not disappointed, very very clean to the point I needed to go into the next room to really appreciate the sound. Played some old Motown Marvin Gaye on the CD unit, optical connected and he sounded like the real 45's I remember as a kid. To some that may not sound like a good thing but the point is that the music did not sound processed.

BadAssJazz
12-21-2006, 10:14 AM
And they say the lure of the Dark Side is strong. But that can't compare with the urge to upgrade at Christmas time!

I'm having trouble closing the deal on either a receiver or aftermarket HT separates setup. I've been eyeballing the Pioneer VSX-82TXS, Denon 3806, Yamaha RX-V2700 and Outlaw Audio's pre/pro 990 (I think that's the right model number).

The "problem" is that the old 3802 continues to perform well. I've auditioned other units, and even purchased a Marantz SR7500 when it first hit the market, but after a couple of months of comparing the two, sold the Marantz and went back to the 3802. The Denon isn't top tier of the highest order, but for my needs, it filled the bill perfectly.

And then your post came along... thanks guys!

I think I will try that Pioneer Elite 82 and see if it blows me away in person like it does on paper.

kelsci
12-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Hi BadAss; when I was out with my brother who was considering a new receiver, we got the opportunity to try the 82 as well. It sounded great too. However, before buying it, I think there is a review of it on cnet and audioholics. I would read the reviews before purchasing that unit. My brother was wanting to purchase a Marantz 8500(he currently owns the 5400). Those were unavailable. A gentlemen that writes the hometheaterblog.com had a 7500 versus a denon model( that I do not recall) in a sort of shootout. He uses and prefers the 7500. We did hear the elites in stereo vs the denon 3806. The denon's sound was neutral and natural but as I cranked it up, it began distorting where as the elites just kept on opening up with power and detail behind the music. The higher end yamahas on the same circuit lacked detail and finesse to the same recording.
I heard the 3806 on a martin-logan speaker system outside of a sound room in another part of the store I was in. That one I heard in surround sound. I thought in the surround mode that the unit was excellent with excellent surround processing probably due to the analog devices chip. In another store, I heard the Denon 987(the most expensive unit of this model number; I think it is the 987, could be the 997). This delivered IMO excellent surround sound as well.

The only other receiver he was considering was the HK 7300. I think this is still avail. for about $900. I have not tried a HK unit, but from what I understand this is an older flagship unit from HK. I think it is avaliable on buy.com or onecall.com. My brother did not hear this model anywhere, but heard a current HK model in a store and said it was astounding with a three dimenional stere soundfield.

He is keeping his Marantz 5400. he decided to look into a bigscreen instead. He did buy from buy.com for $139 a monster 3500 power conditioner. It turned the sound quality of the 5400 many times better than what it was. That might be a better savings altogether with your 3802 receiver if it could do something to it the way it did something to his marantz.

kelsci
12-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Recoveryone; thank you for your report. If the 81 is good in the modes I could not hear in the store(and I believe there is no reason for it not to be) your in for a good time both musically and moviewise with that unit. I think Pioneer uses a freescale in conjunction with a analog devices sharc processer in the 81,83 and 84. The only difference I heard between the 81 and the 83 was only in power, not in sound quality. The 80 does not sound as good as the 81 and 83, but still beat the denons and the yamahas that I tried in the store.