API has been bought by [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : API has been bought by

3db
12-08-2006, 06:27 AM
API, the makers of Energy, Mirage, and Athena has been bought out by an Arkansas based manufacturer. I'm thinking its Klipsh but I'm not sure. Just read this in HT magazinean dthought I pass it along .

N. Abstentia
12-08-2006, 06:50 AM
So I guess those brands will no longer be lumped in with the great Canadian speakers.

3db
12-08-2006, 07:17 AM
So I guess those brands will no longer be lumped in with the great Canadian speakers.

We Canadians will though. *G*

kexodusc
12-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Lots of consolidation in this industry lately. M&A's are really attractive now. It is Klipsch...this happened back in August or so. That's a big company now, Klipsch, Jamo and their brands merged with Energy, Athena, Mirage.

3db
12-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Lots of consolidation in this industry lately. M&A's are really attractive now. It is Klipsch...this happened back in August or so. That's a big company now, Klipsch, Jamo and their brands merged with Energy, Athena, Mirage.

as long as the designn philosphies get respected. I hate to think that all of these speaker will soon sound like Klipsh. I want variety and choice and having something sound the same despite having a different brand name doessn't sit well with me

thekid
12-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Well you have to figure in a merger like this there is going to be more than just a sharing of manufacturing and suppliers. My guess is that you will see the R&D budget/departments also merge/consolidate within these units but this sometimes leads to everyone being forced to think in new directions so it may be a positive. I think the bigger concern is what you see whenever you see the number of players shrink in a industry there is less competitive pricing.

jt1stcav
12-11-2006, 09:35 PM
From what I understand, the Canadian brands under API will remain under their own management and R&D departments and continue on as they always have (seperate from Klipsch), just as Jamo and Aragon have under the Klipsch Group. This latest merger is more about worldwide distribution and having Klipsch products introduced in other markets not familiar with the brand, etc.