Anyone here own Issac Hayes' Hot Buttered Soul? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here own Issac Hayes' Hot Buttered Soul?

jrhymeammo
12-07-2006, 07:05 PM
This is my very first MoFi LP. I can't believe how great it sounds even in my mid-fi system. I bought it new, and It is worth alot more than $23.95 I paid for. I think I'm gonna be a huge fan of MoFi albums.

I noticed one thing and would just like to check from others. On 1, 3, 4 tracks, his voice is coming from center right . I dont understand why they did this, and sounds a bit weird cuz it makes me feel like I'm not sitting in the sweetpot.

First time I've ever heard this album, and couldnt get enough of it!!!!!!! Great stuff, I highly recommend it.

nobody
12-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Yeah...great album. I just gave a quick listen for ya in between flipping over a Duke Ellington record. I just played the first track and it seemed ok to me, but mine's not the MoFi, so maybe that makes a difference, or maybe something else is outta whack, or maybe I'm just too zoned out to notice right now. I'll try to give the whole thing a listen as soon as I get a chance.

jrhymeammo
12-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks man, I appreciate it. At first I thought my cart somehow got missaligned, but rest of my LPs plays just fine. It was just something I noticed.

JRA

PeruvianSkies
12-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah it's actually one of my favorite stereo SACD's from MOFI and while it has it's limitations it's just an amazing album that was so influential and daring in it's day. Go Chef!

jrhymeammo
12-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Actually I've never heard this album until today. I thought it was going to be kinda album with heavy emphasis on vocals, but oh no. They can jam out a bit. Really smooth...

So Peru, with your copy have you noticed that vocal is coming out of center right? I dont get it. Not center, or Right, just right center.

Either way, great album.

JRA

BradH
12-08-2006, 05:34 AM
So Peru, with your copy have you noticed that vocal is coming out of center right? I dont get it. Not center, or Right, just right center.

I checked the MoFi gold disc version and the vocal is in the center.

3-LockBox
12-08-2006, 09:08 AM
check the phasing of your speakers

jrhymeammo
12-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Thank you everyone for your post,

Everrything looks great on my side.. kinda crazy. I'll spin it agin later. ...
I'll take notes this time around.

JoeE SP9
12-08-2006, 01:48 PM
I have a dozen or so Mo-Fi LP's. They all sound very very good. Unfortunately I don't have Hot Buttered Soul. Consequently I can't comment on the centering of the vocals. However if you send it to me I promise to listen carefully and let you know what I think. It would be washed vacuum cleaned and treated very well. It might be a while before I can return it. You see, I have this problem with collecting LP's! They are "my little pretties".:ihih:

jrhymeammo
12-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Dear Joseph
I love you and trust you like I do my family, so done. I will ship it to you as soon as I get your Sumiko Blackbird in my mailbox.

I'll be waiting.

JoeE SP9
12-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Is waiting for my Blackbird the reason you can't sleep?:ihih:

jrhymeammo
12-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Is waiting for my Blackbird the reason you can't sleep?
:confused5:....................:idea:............. .......:hand:

I dont think I'm experiencing channel separation issues. At the very end of the 1st track, the drum is dead on center.

Is he just me or on the 2nd track, we hear Issac Tapping his finger on the right channel. There is the same bass line that is repeated thru-out the song. I think Issac is tapping on his mic-pole twice along with the last 2 bass notes. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

When it dry brushed the 2nd side, i scuff it with the plastic base on my carbonfibre brush.:yikes::nonod::incazzato::mad5::mad5::mad2:

It still sounds fine though....:thumbsup:

I'm sorry for rambling on about this album issue. I'm enjoying the hell outta out it though.

BradH
12-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Is he just me or on the 2nd track, we hear Issac Tapping his finger on the right channel. There is the same bass line that is repeated thru-out the song. I think Issac is tapping on his mic-pole twice along with the last 2 bass notes. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Tapping on the mic stand would produce a horrible thumping in the upper or mid lows, probably destroying the vocal track. On that track I hear jewelry rattling on the right. He used to wear a lot of gold chains.

jrhymeammo
12-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Ahhh...... I see. That makes sense, but you should try tapping on my Purple Microphone. It don' ring like that.:yikes:

BradH
12-08-2006, 10:29 PM
...but you should try tapping on my Purple Microphone. It don' ring like that.:yikes:

I'll just take your word for it.

However, there are professionals who specialize in that area if you think it needs to be looked at.

jrhymeammo
12-08-2006, 10:52 PM
I dun get it.....

http://www.taomusic.tv/images/mic_purple.jpg

BradH
12-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Hey, is that a purple microphone or are you just happy to see me?

JoeE SP9
12-09-2006, 09:19 AM
That's not really yours is it? Did you take it from your daughter?:ihih:

jrhymeammo
12-09-2006, 09:54 AM
man this thread had taken an odd turn....

JoeE SP9
12-09-2006, 11:04 AM
You've got me looking for that LP so I can hear what you're talking about.:ciappa:

jrhymeammo
12-09-2006, 11:11 AM
It is worth every penny my man, I thought I gotta great deal for the price I paid cuz I thought it went for $30 a copy. If you aint got $24 because you've been addicted to ebay, then just send your BlackBird my way... Im sure we can work it out

JRA

jrhymeammo
12-10-2006, 03:07 PM
It was very simple to fix...

turns out it was just another DUH!!!!!! moment brought to you by your truly....

I had anti-skate set on 1 instead of 2grams. I had that thing backwards in my head for the last 2 weeks for some reason. 6th grade physics students could've figured that out in 5 seconds.

Thank you all.

JRA

JoeE SP9
12-10-2006, 04:33 PM
It is worth every penny my man, I thought I gotta great deal for the price I paid cuz I thought it went for $30 a copy. If you aint got $24 because you've been addicted to ebay, then just send your BlackBird my way... Im sure we can work it out

JRA
Thanks but no thanks! I've put out the word "on the block" that I am looking for it and will pay up to $25 depending on condition. Although I don't know what's going to happen it should be interesting. Around here Hot Buttered Soul was one that everyone had so I'll end up with at least 1 copy of the original in VG condition at the least. I heard it so much mostly on crappy systems at clubs and parties that I never seriously listened to it.:sad:
As for the Blackbird, there's a saying about "cold dead fingers" or something like that!:ihih:

JoeE SP9
12-10-2006, 04:39 PM
It was very simple to fix...

turns out it was just another DUH!!!!!! moment brought to you by your truly....

I had anti-skate set on 1 instead of 2grams. I had that thing backwards in my head for the last 2 weeks for some reason. 6th grade physics students could've figured that out in 5 seconds.

Thank you all.

JRA

You're guilty of vinyl mistreatment. It's a very serious crime. Your punishment is forfeiture of said LP.
Send it immediately via FedEx!:ihih: