HD question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HD question

Kevin H
12-07-2006, 02:49 PM
I plan on upgrading my Dish Network to HD very soon but it appears that the ViP622 receiver can only provide an HD signal to one TV. Is it possible to split the HD signal so a second TV can get HD? The reason why I ask is because I plan on getting a new TV for my bedroom very soon and if I can only get my main TV to receive HD then I'll only get a new set that is capable of 480i. Thanks in advance.

Smokey
12-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Is it possible to split the HD signal so a second TV can get HD?

If the HD output from cable box is via component, then you can split it. But ordinary "Y" splitter will not work for video signal. You will need a video switch box :)

edtyct
12-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Remember that if you do split the signal from the receiver via a component switch, you'll be able to change the channel only if your remote will reach the receiver from the bedroom. Also, if you switch a signal via DVI or HDMI, the box will have to be HDCP-compatible. In any event, you cannot split the cable from the dish before it gets to the receiver. You need multiple LNBs, a multiswitch, and a second receiver for that job.

s dog
12-07-2006, 10:20 PM
I have the 622 receiver and you are right it will only send HD to one tv.I also have a tv upstairs in my bedroom which i had to run a cable from the reciver to. Now hears the thing the 622 comes with two remote contorls one for the HDTV which in my case is in the living room and the second remote runs the standerd tv in the bedroom, now the second remote works like a UHF antenna [I THINK ?] and it will work anywhere in the house, but i think it only works the standerd out put of the 622 receiver. I have thought about doing the same thing you are talking about, because if my old standerd 50'' tv goes bad i would like to replace it with a HDTV, I just dont know if you can get that second remote to work the HD part of the receiver or not if line of sight with the HD remote is not possible, both remotes are labeled 1& 2, Sorry i cant explain things as good as some of the other guys on here do but im hopeing this will help some or maybe others can add to what im saying. I do know this much that remote no.1 is for the downstairs HDTV and the second is for the standered tv upstairs.

Kevin H
12-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all your responses. I probably wont worry about getting HD for my bedroom. Now I just need to pick up a set that has 16:9 aspect ratio for watching DVDs. My old
19" RCA still has a great picture but has zero inputs so it's time for an upgrade.