Paradigm Studio 40 V2 vs. V3 & B&W questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Studio 40 V2 vs. V3 & B&W questions

Ryukyu
12-07-2006, 09:36 AM
I am looking for anyone who can describe the differences, if any, in the sound characteristics of these speakers.

I have heard the V3s and really liked them, but may have an opportunity to pick up a used V2 set. The problem is that I can't listen to them first, and I certainly can't do an A-B comparison.

Also, any information regarding the B&W DM603 S3 would be helpful. I'll be listening to these this weekend, but I'm curious about something I've heard. First, they don't seem to be as efficient as the Paradigm speakers, so I'm curious as to how they perform at low volume levels. I'll be driving them (for the time being, at least) with an old Yamaha CR-840 receiver (65 w per channel).

I plan to audition the Paradigm Studio 60s as well.

Any comments on any of these would be great.

Thanks.

topspeed
12-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Disclaimer: Everyone hears differently therefore everyone should come to their own conclusions. The following is merely my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt...or tequila...or whatever makes you shiny.

The differences between V2 and V3 Paradigm Studios is mainly in the tweeter and bass. The V3 treble is more refined and less prone to fatiguing the listener while the V2 has a bit more bass, albeit not better. Again, the V3 is more refined in the bass, although perhaps at the expense of ultimate extension. Speed and control vs. depth and slam: choose one. IMO, the V3 also imaged better than the V2.

The 603S3 is a very good all around speaker; a jack of all trades but master of none. It does everything you could ask of it, but I never found it do anything extraordinary. IOW, it doesn't have any singular trait as it's calling card. It simply does everything very well, which makes it an excellent choice for people with wildly varying musical preferences.

If I had to rank them, I preferred the Studio's over the 603's. The overall refinement and clarity, particularly in the upper mid-band, is more to my liking. That said, you could feel completely differently and indeed, there are many B&W owners that would argue my points.

'Course, I bought neither and picked Von Schweikert instead, so that tells you how much I know ;).

Ryukyu
12-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks topspeed. That's exactly what I want to hear. Other people's opinions.
While I know that the final choice ultimately boils down to what I like, it's good to get information so that I have a clearer idea about what to look for as far as brands and various speaker characteristics.
I went to audition a set of Studio 60s tonight and was definitely impressed. They also happened to have the new version of the Monitor 7. That sounded great too. Until they A-B'ed them with the Studio 60s.
In case anyone is interested, the new Monitor 7s are smaller than the previous version and less expensive ($599 USD), and they had a very plaesing sound. If I had not heard the 60s, I would have been tempted to get the Monitor 7s.
By the way, since my other thread got no response to the latest post, and this one has only had one, I wanted to find out if maybe there is a problem with the way my questiions are being perceived.
I've been away from the audio scene for awhile and there are so many companies producing great stuff, that i never heard of. So that's why I'm here asking questions.
Thanks for any input...

wgriel
12-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi Ryukyu,

Topspeed said it well when he said that everyone hears differently and you do need to see what your preference would be.

When I was shopping for speakers in this price range it came down to Studio 40 V3 vs B&W DM603s. I actually did like both speakers, but my personal preference was for the 603s. I mainly preferred the midrange of the B&Ws, but that is purely a personal preference!

At this price point, there are always compromises, but for me the 603s just did enough things right that I preferred them over the Studios.

Good luck!

Bill

emorphien
12-07-2006, 05:58 PM
I like the V3 a bit better but ultimately I wouldn't buy any of those speakers. Make sure you listen to everything else in that price range while you're out. Paradigm and B&W do make a good speaker but IMO they're often overrated and better can be found for the same or less $$. Listen around, you may love the Paradigm or the B&W, or you may find something you like even better.

Ryukyu
12-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks to the both of you for the information.
Emorphien, could you give me some ideas on other lines to listen to? I want to audition some Monitor Audio RS6 and Energy Connoisseur, but unfortunately I will have to travel about 70 miles to the closest dealer to do that. I will also be checking out PSB. Any others that you care to suggest?

emorphien
12-07-2006, 06:26 PM
I'll list some I've listened to:

Totem, Triangle, Focal and of course Paradigm and B&W. Of those I liked Focal the best.

Other brands that were suggested to me can be found in this thread of mine:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=20430

It's hard to keep on top of every brand out there that might have something in your price range so a lot of those suggestions helped me out. I don't know exactly what your budget is but I'd pull up the yellow pages online and look for shops in your area because if you've got a handful they will likely represent a variety of different brands.

topspeed
12-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Other suggestions?

Von Schweikert, Usher, Magnepan (these are planers, which are a whole 'nother ball game), Dynaudio, and Quad. All worthy of audition.

Ryukyu
12-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
They'll keep me busy this weekend.
Although the Paradigms sound nice, they seem rather over-priced compared to other speakers in their "class".

jrhymeammo
12-07-2006, 07:32 PM
I own a paird of Triangle Comete ES. I prefer them over B&W Signature 805 I used to own. Their products are reasonably priced, and are easy to drive. But you may not like the sound of that tweeter. They are pretty forward sounding. You may not like them with SS amp. I think they sound great with my tubes.

I like both Studio and 600 series, if anything I find them to be a bargain. Just dont give a crap about 700 serioes. They are horrible to my ears. Sounds like you know the most important issue with audio so that's great. Stick with what you like

emorphien
12-07-2006, 07:37 PM
I listened to the Comete ES. Nice speaker but it seemed a little narrow and lifeless to me for rock material. The Focal just seemed to "rock out" better but still could handle other materials quite capably. I think it may have been an issue with the source though. I don't want to go back to that shop to find out :(

The tweeters on the Triangle are interesting, and I do wonder if it wasn't a combination of the room or source that made them sound a little bit weak. They are quite efficient, 91dB I think? The 807 V is 92 dB I think.

I did like that the Triangle was a more traditional looking speaker too. Too bad it just didn't satisfy my ear, although I know they are definitely well regarded!

jrhymeammo
12-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Hmmm. In my setup, soundstage, sweetspot or whatever...is much wider with the Cometes ES than the Siggie 805. Everyone has different taste, but I would think people would need some warm sounding gears. At least that MF Tube buffer. I was going to get a pair of Triangle Solis, but if I had done that I wouldnt have had moeny to buy my new source player.

"rock ou" was what I was looking for too. Siggie's somewhat impedance chrctic just didnt work wit my tube integrated amp. It turned out great for me, but if people can't listen to them in their local shops, I would be hesistant to recommend them. Have I already recommendded them? I dont know...too lazy to scroll up.

Pat D
12-08-2006, 05:26 AM
I am looking for anyone who can describe the differences, if any, in the sound characteristics of these speakers.

I have heard the V3s and really liked them, but may have an opportunity to pick up a used V2 set. The problem is that I can't listen to them first, and I certainly can't do an A-B comparison.

Also, any information regarding the B&W DM603 S3 would be helpful. I'll be listening to these this weekend, but I'm curious about something I've heard. First, they don't seem to be as efficient as the Paradigm speakers, so I'm curious as to how they perform at low volume levels. I'll be driving them (for the time being, at least) with an old Yamaha CR-840 receiver (65 w per channel).

I plan to audition the Paradigm Studio 60s as well.

Any comments on any of these would be great.

Thanks.

Of the two, I personally prefer the v. 2 to the v. 3 of the Paradigm Reference series as I think the upper midrange-lower treble range is somewhat smoother. However, the v. 3 do have much improved dispersion in the treble and highs, and image very well. Life is full of trade-offs: take your pick! Most people seem to prefer the v. 3. They're both good speakers.

Now, Paradigm is coming out with version 4 in the Reference Series, which I have not heard, and I presume these have some improvements, but again, this is a matter of preference. You may want to wait and see.

PSB make some excellent speakers and still have a pair of the older Stratus Minis for watching movies. I haven't heard the image series but they seem to measure very well in many respects:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/speakers/psb_image_t45/

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1204psb/index4.html

I've not heard the B & W speakers in that price range. However, they also make some very good speakers.

I always audition speakers using a variety of program material, starting with full orchestra, male and female vocals, mixed chorus, and piano, but I'm a classical fan. Certainly some recordings with male and female vocals are a must.

Ryukyu
12-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I went out today to audition some speakers. listened to some B&W, PSB, and Focal JMLabs models.
I have to say that the Focal Chorus 816V speakers were amazing.
Emorphien, thanks for the heads up on those. They are more money than I wanted to spend, so I want to hear the 700V line, but I may just have to do some fast talking with the wife to get her to let me spend a little more for the 816s.

emorphien
12-10-2006, 12:28 AM
my bad :ciappa: :14:

now you can feel my pain as I try to find $1000 for the 807 V's :)

RGA
12-10-2006, 05:17 AM
Ryukyu

There are many very nice speakers out there that are a little bit hidden from the big marketing speakers like B&W and Paradigm. JM Labs is one that is big but does not get quite the talk that lesser speakers get. I am now living in Korea and I have an opportunity to see what the Koreans are carry in the high end shops and there is a relatively big difference. I am stunned at how many tube amps are here -- one place is carrying the Orpheus Tube headphone system which rings in at a cool 20kUS. Speakers that are imo much better than most of the stuff at most of the dealers in Canada such as speakers from Proac, Tannoy's upper range line, Avanteguarde, Harbeth, Ruark. I spent a bit of time listening to a variety of these and generally across the board these places are carrying stuff that are highly musically involving rather than the by the numbers unmusical cheap stuff. And when the store does carry B&W it carries the 801, 802 and the much older Matrix 801 (which sounds better).

Out of the B&W 700 series, Paradigm V2 versus V3 then I would buy the Paradigm V2 line. Imaging is all nice and fine but IMO the 100V2 and 40v2 smacks the V3 of both of these across the lot. The 700 series is IMO the worst value in loudspeakers that I know of. The 600 series on the other hand is a lot of fun for sane money.