A little help making up my mind??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A little help making up my mind???

Wonder11
12-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Hello All,

I am NEW to this site, but I have been reading the past reviews for weeks. :) I have purchased a Marantz SR-8000 and am now in search of some speakers. :confused: I believe I have narrowed it down to B&W DM603s2, Klipsch Forte, or some JBL 4311s. My musical tastes run the gammut as I am a musician... electric bass :5: Everything from Toscanini or Van Kliburn to Juno Reactor or Tool, with healthy does of Robben Ford. My volume is moderate as I live in a town home. Please help me decide. I DO plan on doing the surround thing at some juncture, but I am primarily a two Channel listener. Any suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve

Dusty Chalk
12-05-2006, 06:14 PM
JBL 4311 are vintage, no? If you're ready to refoam the woofers, I'd say that's the way to go. You want bass, right? JBL's pretty good about that. I haven't heard that particular pair, but one of my "lust" speakers is a JBL. You may want to move it up a notch and look for something with 15" woofers -- I have a bassist friend, and he says nothing does bass right like something with 15" woofers. Vintage Klipsch or JBL's.

icarus
12-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Thats a good point dusty about the 15" woofers. I personally am a huge fan B&W I would recomend them to pretty much anyone who can afford it. The 603's should give some pretty wicked bass, but it never does hurt to throw a sub in there just to kick it up a notch!!!

Wonder11
12-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Thats a good point dusty about the 15" woofers. I personally am a huge fan B&W I would recomend them to pretty much anyone who can afford it. The 603's should give some pretty wicked bass, but it never does hurt to throw a sub in there just to kick it up a notch!!!

Thanks for that! The 15"s, although a mainstay back in the day, have been usurped by dynamic 12"s and even 10" configs. My stack is 2-10"s with a horn and a Bergantino ext. cab with 2-12" speakers. 500watts into 4ohms and LOUD, but for my home listening enjoyment I want bass, but above all balance. :biggrin5: The B&W DM603s look like they may be the ticket, but I always lusted for the JBLs. As a product of the 60's, born in '51, JBL and Klipsch (que the choir) have always been my "Dream" speakers. As I haven't had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century my ears have a more tempered appreciation, hence my gravitating to B&Ws. Any other suggestions for a "full-bodied" speaker that packs a punch with the matrix of a feather???

topspeed
12-06-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm a B&W owner and I'd still get the Forte's if I were you. I don't think the 603's are going to provide the viceral thrill that the Forte's will, particularly on rock like Tool. That said, I'm a sucker for the "vintage" Klipsch speakers, especially KHorns.

emorphien
12-06-2006, 03:47 PM
If you have local shops that carry them go listen to the B&W, Paradigms, Focals (I'm probably getting a pair of these) and whatever they've got in that range. Some folks love B&W, I like them alright but I prefer some of the other speakers in that price range and it's definitely worth it in terms of your long term satisfaction to audition everything you can.

Wonder11
12-06-2006, 06:06 PM
If you have local shops that carry them go listen to the B&W, Paradigms, Focals (I'm probably getting a pair of these) and whatever they've got in that range. Some folks love B&W, I like them alright but I prefer some of the other speakers in that price range and it's definitely worth it in terms of your long term satisfaction to audition everything you can.

I appreciate the input! I did go to a local High End audio dealer here in town, Listen Up, and listened to the B&W 603s2 AND the B&W 604s! LOVED the 604s! I am convinced I need a 3-way system, as the listening room is 16 X 23' with a ceiling that starts at 8', where the speakers are located, and slopes up to 16'. I believe the B&W 604s would work, and I think the Klipsch would do the job as well, but I think I've re-thought the JBLs, if for no other reason other than their antiquated design. What do you all think about KEF Reference Series Model 2s? ....or do they require bi-amping and or a more powerful amp?:idea:

kexodusc
12-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Ha ha...looks like Wonder11 got hit by the audio-upgrade bug!!!

Dude, you need to seriously slow down. Pick a budget. Identify your needs, then your wants. Then, in those boundaries, start demoing some speakers. That's the key. Listen. Man, every time I demo new gear I fall in love all over again. I rarely hear something I don't like at least a bit. The trick is to do some comparisons. Try to replicate the same environment, so your comparisons are, well, more comparable. Then go with what makes you happiest. Pretty easy.
Nothing wrong with "vintage" or old models. Some of the best speakers ever made are old. I love K-Horns, and have soft spot for the AR3.
They're older than I am.
You might like the new stuff a bit more though - good sound isn't as hard to find as it was years ago.

Your room size really has nothing to do with needing a 3-way speaker. 3-ways are a trade-off, better at some things, worse at others. They aren't better than 2-ways. Just a bit different. There's a cool factor from having the extra driver I guess. .

Exciting times for ya...get out and start listening. Web forums are great for getting leads on new brands and models, and some feedback from other enthusiasts. Keep in mind, we all hear differently and have our own personal preferences (and sometimes agendas) which aren't universal. When you find the right speaker you'll know it. (PMC)

Wonder11
12-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Ha ha...looks like Wonder11 got hit by the audio-upgrade bug!!!

Dude, you need to seriously slow down. Pick a budget. Identify your needs, then your wants. Then, in those boundaries, start demoing some speakers. That's the key. Listen. Man, every time I demo new gear I fall in love all over again. I rarely hear something I don't like at least a bit. The trick is to do some comparisons. Try to replicate the same environment, so your comparisons are, well, more comparable. Then go with what makes you happiest. Pretty easy.
Nothing wrong with "vintage" or old models. Some of the best speakers ever made are old. I love K-Horns, and have soft spot for the AR3.
They're older than I am.
You might like the new stuff a bit more though - good sound isn't as hard to find as it was years ago.

Your room size really has nothing to do with needing a 3-way speaker. 3-ways are a trade-off, better at some things, worse at others. They aren't better than 2-ways. Just a bit different. There's a cool factor from having the extra driver I guess. .

Exciting times for ya...get out and start listening. Web forums are great for getting leads on new brands and models, and some feedback from other enthusiasts. Keep in mind, we all hear differently and have our own personal preferences (and sometimes agendas) which aren't universal. When you find the right speaker you'll know it. (PMC)

:blush2: Aye, that's not the first time I've been accused of running with ideas! :)