Hd Dvd Blue Ray [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hd Dvd Blue Ray

mphs68
12-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Will one of these fade out soon. I have the xbox 360 and want to get HD DVD connection for it, I was going to get it and a couple best buy salesmantold me that HD DVD Blue Ray is like beta vs vhs and one of them is going to fold soon. And that it was a risky investment.

paul_pci
12-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Will one of these fade out soon. I have the xbox 360 and want to get HD DVD connection for it, I was going to get it and a couple best buy salesmantold me that HD DVD Blue Ray is like beta vs vhs and one of them is going to fold soon. And that it was a risky investment.

It's entirely possible that one will fade out, maybe not soon. So, spend the money if that's an acceptable consequence to you. If not, don't spend the money.

kexodusc
12-06-2006, 06:02 AM
Geez, I'm still waiting for them to fade in. Seriously, I can't find enough good titles to buy or even rent yet to justify making the plunge. Though the Xbox add-on is pretty low risk, I think.
I'm not so sure we're going to see either fold. Sony is pretty stubborn historically, and HD-DVD is positioned pretty well. I'm guessing we'll see the studios just simultaneously release titles on both formats.

Groundbeef
12-06-2006, 09:22 AM

More than likely they salesman either didn't know the 360 had a HD-DVD drive, or they were out. It took 3 weeks after release for BB to even feature the 360 HD-DVD on their ad slicks. Mind you Circuit City had it 1 week after release, and EB Games of all places had it on relase day.

The beauty of the 360 is that it plugs into the machine. For 200 bucks. Video quality is outstanding, and it even can do 1080p.

From what I understand it upscales regular DVD as well, but I don't have time to dig up verification on that point.

If HD-DVD fails for some reason (I don't think it will, there are a lot of players out now), the 360 would be able to handle a Blu-Ray external drive as well.

If you can find one, I would buy it. Too bad you missed my post about a week ago. You coulda scored one from CC for $159.00

bfalls
12-06-2006, 09:47 AM
I can't believe you guys fell for mphs' post. Please, a couple of Best Buy salesmen warned him against buying something. I'm surprised they didn't sell you two with service plans, a cryogenically-treated HDMI cable and a gallon or two of famed "Pixie Snot". Pinochio told a more believable story:)

Groundbeef
12-06-2006, 12:33 PM
I can't believe you guys fell for mphs' post. Please, a couple of Best Buy salesmen warned him against buying something. I'm surprised they didn't sell you two with service plans, a cryogenically-treated HDMI cable and a gallon or two of famed "Pixie Snot". Pinochio told a more believable story:)

I wouldn't have belived it had it not been for the fact that on the 360 HD-DVD release day, 3 BB electronic guys and the Manager had NO CLUE that the 360 had a HD-DVD and that it was release day.

I did pick up 2 buckets of Pixie Snot. I had to dunk all of my electrical cords so the electricty knew where to go. Apparently its getting dumber, and just needed a hand to find the way up the cord.

mphs68
12-06-2006, 03:11 PM
I didn't say he warned me not to buy it we got to talking about blue ray and hd dvds and he said it was going to be like vhs vs beta and one would lose. He did say he thought it was a risky investment to spend alot of money on either one at this point.