Denon (or Possibly Other) Receiver Major Question- HELP! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon (or Possibly Other) Receiver Major Question- HELP!

EdwardGein
12-04-2006, 07:55 PM
After owning my Denon 3801 Receiver around 3 years, I just found something out in a good way that doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever & I was hoping any Denon owners or possibly any other owner of a 5.1 or 7.1 Receiver could answer this as well, as I'm totally puzzled beyond belief.

I normally connect my CD when I want to listen to my receiver by analog direct from the CD players RCA outputs direct to the receivers CD RCA inputs. Out of curiosity, today I plugged the analog cables from my CD player instead directly into the analog outputs labeled CDR/Tape (there are also 2 other analog RCA outputs labeled VCR1 & VCR2). Before you say anything, there are seperate inputs for CDR/Tape, VCR1 & VCR2, so we're talking 2 seperate animals & I plugged my cables into the output for CDR/Tape not the input.

The effect was that the sound was so much better, I seemed to get more power if that's the word from a lower volume level then I did when I was using the CD input (which was internally set at analog).
Can someone please explain what is happening? Should I have been connecting the CD player all these years to the receivers analog output instead of using its analog input? Or is their possibly something wrong with the CD analog input that the tape/cdr output sounds better/more powerful? Note all the internal manual settings I made on the receiver are basically the same.

Would appreciate anyones help.

bobsticks
12-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Should I have been connecting the CD player all these years to the receivers analog output instead of using its analog input? .

Short answer, yes. Welcome to the club. Its about time ya figured it out as the rest of us have been plugging our inputs into the outputs for a while.

Remember you're talking not only about electricity, but magnetism as well. There is a certain polarity issue . If the voltage of the output of your cd player is equivalent to the voltage less magnetic degradation of the output of your amp you'll get a reverse polarity which will yield an increase signal backflow. Most significantly, any mid to hi end receiver will have an M.P.S. Gain Stage on the outputs.

Enjoy

EdwardGein
12-04-2006, 10:14 PM
So your saying that this is in general the correct way? Why in the hell don't the instruction books for receivers tell us that? Thanks for the info.

bobsticks
12-05-2006, 04:15 AM
Its all about the gain stage, M.P.S.---Magic Pixie Snot...

kexodusc
12-05-2006, 04:45 AM
Short answer, yes. Welcome to the club. Its about time ya figured it out as the rest of us have been plugging our inputs into the outputs for a while.

Remember you're talking not only about electricity, but magnetism as well. There is a certain polarity issue . If the voltage of the output of your cd player is equivalent to the voltage less magnetic degradation of the output of your amp you'll get a reverse polarity which will yield an increase signal backflow. Most significantly, any mid to hi end receiver will have an M.P.S. Gain Stage on the outputs.

Enjoy
ROFLMAO

After owning my Denon 3801 Receiver around 3 years, I just found something out in a good way that doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever & I was hoping any Denon owners or possibly any other owner of a 5.1 or 7.1 Receiver could answer this as well, as I'm totally puzzled beyond belief.

I normally connect my CD when I want to listen to my receiver by analog direct from the CD players RCA outputs direct to the receivers CD RCA inputs. Out of curiosity, today I plugged the analog cables from my CD player instead directly into the analog outputs labeled CDR/Tape (there are also 2 other analog RCA outputs labeled VCR1 & VCR2). Before you say anything, there are seperate inputs for CDR/Tape, VCR1 & VCR2, so we're talking 2 seperate animals & I plugged my cables into the output for CDR/Tape not the input.

The effect was that the sound was so much better, I seemed to get more power if that's the word from a lower volume level then I did when I was using the CD input (which was internally set at analog).
Can someone please explain what is happening? Should I have been connecting the CD player all these years to the receivers analog output instead of using its analog input? Or is their possibly something wrong with the CD analog input that the tape/cdr output sounds better/more powerful? Note all the internal manual settings I made on the receiver are basically the same.

ROFLMAO

I have no idea why the analog outputs are even allowing the sound to play on your receiver. But I'm pretty sure that despite loudness, there's no way in blue hell it can be optimal for sound quality.
The only question I have is if this can somehow damage your receiver, CD player, or both???

GMichael
12-05-2006, 06:10 AM
So your saying that this is in general the correct way? Why in the hell don't the instruction books for receivers tell us that? Thanks for the info.

He's joking with you Ed. I'm not sure why this even works, but I wouldn't do it.

noddin0ff
12-05-2006, 06:30 AM
Ditto what GMichael said.