SACD recommendations? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SACD recommendations?

bobsticks
12-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Our young friend jrhymeammo has recently acquired a SACD player and seems to be enjoying the experiment. I'm always looking for some good recs myself so If ya don't mind hows about some top titles?

Here's a few that will probably make today's playlist:

Keb' Mo'~The Door

Yellowjackets~Time Squared

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers~Keystone 3

Any takers?

Dusty Chalk
12-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Dredg, El Cielo -- alternative rock a la Perfect Circle, Tool, Alice in Chains, etc.

Talk Talk, Spirit of Eden -- definitive seminal post rock.

Lots of classical titles -- for instance, pretty much anything on the Mercury Living Presence series.

Slosh
12-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft (UK import)
Excellent 5.1 mix here. Never listened to the stereo mix (except on the CD-layer).

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker (stereo hybrid)
Got this one on 180 gram vinyl as well and the SACD sounds every bit as good.

Roxy Music - Avalon

...and it goes without saying Dark Side Of The Moon is a must have.

Most of the others I have do indeed sound better than CD but won't make your jaw hit the floor or anything (Death Cab For Cutie, The Police, Peter Gabriel, Stones, etc.)

I really wish Sony would have foisted this format on everyone. Maybe one day.

NP: Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (not SACD but still recorded pretty well :) )

noddin0ff
12-04-2006, 02:25 PM
oooh. I bet Talk Talk sounds good in SACD

N. Abstentia
12-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Of course Dark Side, goes without saying :)

The Eric Clapton SACD's are great.

Some of my favorites are actually the Alison Krauss SACD's, they are superb.

jrhymeammo
12-04-2006, 04:59 PM
I think this will be a great thread, Good going bobsticks.

I guess I got a few things to mention.

Art Blakey and TJM - Caravan. It's not bad, but I think this is meant to be played at 33 1/3. Ah F' it!!! It's not a good live recording. But this allows me to go back in time 45yrs, and experience their great performance. So if you dont wanna hear bottles clinging from time to time then this one aint for you. Sometimes great music doesnt have to sound good at all. So, I recommend this music, but not neccesary a SACD recomdtn.

Unlike Slosh, I didnt think DSOTM was all that. It was good, but not great. Maybe I need to hear it in bobsticks MC setup, that might change my mind.

I got Lauryn Hill Unplugged on CD and SACD. CD version was kinda like watching the show on DVD, while SACD made me feel like I was only couple of rows back.

made me feel like I was only couple of rows back

I read this kinda reviews all the time, and I'm always thinkin "Ah not again. How unoriginal!!" But I guess I finally understand that now.

I think what I need to do is to stay with LP on older recordings, and acquire newer recording on SACD. I dont think people should be afraid of replace their music all over again as long as you got alot of music on wax. But if you only have CDs then you will be financially doomed.
DOOMED I TELL YA!!!

JRA

Dusty Chalk
12-04-2006, 05:19 PM
oooh. I bet Talk Talk sounds good in SACDIt does, especially since it already sounded pretty good on regular old redbook.

I also have The Colour of Spring on SACD, and it sounds quite good as well. The drums just sound...I don't know...right.

Slosh
12-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Unlike Slosh, I didnt think DSOTM was all that. It was good, but not great. Maybe I need to hear it in bobsticks MC setup, that might change my mind.

Yeah, I've only ever listened to the 5.1 mix and thought that was kinda implied when I mentioned the same thing about the SFA disc.

At any rate SACD is only half the story. While I generally prefer SACD there are quite a few good DVD-As still out there too, but of course you pretty much need a TV to navigated them.

jrhymeammo
12-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I've only ever listened to the 5.1 mix and thought that was kinda implied
Yes. Yes is was. I was just pointing it out from a 2ch perspective. But I was greatly impressed with NIN The Downward Spiral, in 2ch of course. It might blowup my mind in a MC setup. Also, maybe I enjoyed it more than DSOTM because it's a newer recording.

I also recommend Daivd Sanchez - Coral. I find it to be a prety good recording in my system, and this hybrid Jazz/classicalish composition is great.

JRA

DPM
12-05-2006, 08:37 PM
My faves are...

1) Joe Satriani/Strange Beautiful Music
2) Blood Sweat And Tears (stereo only disk from Mobile Fidelity)
3) Roxy Music/Avalon
4) Elton John/Honky Chateau, Capt. Fantastic, Madman Across The Water, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Tumbleweed Connection (great surround mixes)
5) Pink Floyd/Dark Side Of The Moon
6) Helmet Of Gnats/Helmet Of Gnats
7) Mike Oldfield/Tubular Bells (original quad mix)
8) Steely Dan/Gaucho

jrhymeammo
12-05-2006, 09:01 PM
I really want to get a copy of SONY's Ultimate SACD sampler. It has Roger Waters' Perfect Sense !&!! from Amused to Death. I need that on vnyl, but the only place I can find it on is Ebay......

I've already said I wanna get SACDs on newer music, but not sure how I can resist since there are so can CAN on SACD.

JRA

Dusty Chalk
12-06-2006, 12:33 AM
It does? Does that mean Amused to Death has been or will be released on SACD? Or is this one of those elusive things like Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior and Aerosmith's Rocks?

jrhymeammo
12-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Damn Dusty, when do you go to sleep? I swear people on this site sleep about 4 hours a day. Me? Just taking a break from studying at 2am.....

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1879

Reg has been my idol for the longest time. I remember when i was into HT, I kept upgrading my stuff just for enhancing In the Flesh DVD. I read on that site that In the Flesh on SACD isn't all tha and some complaints about Center channel not being used. DVD only used the Center on 2 or 3 tracks also.... but I'll probably get it for the hell of it.

How sweet would it be if ATD was released on SACD? I think it will happen in near future...........

kexodusc
12-06-2006, 06:58 AM
1) Beethoven's 5th/7th - Kleiber, DG - I can't say this enough - the quadraphonic recording finally receives justice on SACD - and the performance, recording, and material - top notch
2) Alison Krauss - New Favorite -
3) Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
4) Wes Montgomery - The Incredible Jazz Guitar of
5) Pink Floyd - DSOTM
6) John Coltrane - Blue Train
7) John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
8) Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners

bobsticks
12-06-2006, 07:16 AM
I am familiar with all of Kex's list and give a hearty second to it. Probably throw in Monk's Criss Cross and Mingus' Mingus Ah Um. I can't say enough about the Alison Kraus discs. Even if you don't like bluegrass/country/twangwhatever check out New Favorite---breathtaking.

I'd reassert my support for any of the Martin Pearlman/Boston Baroque series as well...

Thanks Slosh and Dusty for suggesting some more modern fare. I'll be sure to pull the trigger.

Woochifer
12-06-2006, 11:39 AM
I would put the SF Symphony's Mahler series right at the top of the list. These were originally recorded in DSD with excellent multichannel mixes. They capture the acoustics of Davies Symphony Hall very well, and the performances (especially the 1st and the 6th symphonies) are great.

That Art Blakey recording is another really good one. You can pretty much go with any of the other Concord Jazz SACDs. That label has always had high standards for recording quality, and the 5.1 remixes generally unveil a brand new level of sound quality because all of the original multitrack masters have been remixed in the DSD format. Some of the older two-channel mixes had obvious signal loss and processing applied. The new 5.1 remixes in these cases reveal just how much processing went into the original mix, and by spacing the instruments out the overall sound is much cleaner and lifelike.

I just got the Maynard Ferguson big band recording on the Concord label, and it's sonic tour de force. The horns are absolutely spine tingling in their clarity on the multichannel track.

bobsticks
12-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Hey papaWooch,

Good to hear form you. Of course the SFS/MTT series deserves inclusion on any list of superior sounding SACDs. I didn't throw it in on the first go around because I don't think Jayra is into classical. Boston Baroque made the cut, if only in an absent-minded way, because J.S.Bach:The Complete Orchestral Suites was spinning at the time. Great disc, if you get the chance give it a spin.
How's morning sickness/potential fatherhood going?

Cheers

Dusty Chalk
12-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Damn Dusty, when do you go to sleep? During the day. Went to bed around 9a.m.
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1879

Reg has been my idol for the longest time. I remember when i was into HT, I kept upgrading my stuff just for enhancing In the Flesh DVD. Oh...it's the live version...bummer.

jrhymeammo
12-06-2006, 10:56 PM
I know that I've stated this in other threads, but I have to mention this album again,

Mike Wofford Trio: Live at Athenaeum Jazz

This is probably the best live recording I've heard in my life. I will say this. I personally know the owner/recording engineer of this company. So, feel free to take this post as a heavily biased opinion. Also, I purchased another album by the same label. It is called:

Bouncing with Bud and Phil: Bud Shank Quartet w/ Phil Woods at Yoshi's.

Now this recording is not very good, and I dont really care for the music either. If I were you, I wouldnt waste your money on this album, but I highly recommned Mike Wofford Trio. That one is just an incredible performance with excellent sonic. I may not be in position to say anything about sound quality since my system is far from reference. But I'm extremely thrilled about this album.

btw, this is a good site for me to checkout SACD titles. http://www.sa-cd.net/home.php
JRA

Woochifer
12-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Hey papaWooch,

Good to hear form you. Of course the SFS/MTT series deserves inclusion on any list of superior sounding SACDs. I didn't throw it in on the first go around because I don't think Jayra is into classical. Boston Baroque made the cut, if only in an absent-minded way, because J.S.Bach:The Complete Orchestral Suites was spinning at the time. Great disc, if you get the chance give it a spin.
How's morning sickness/potential fatherhood going?

Cheers

It's all going fine. My wife got through the first trimester, and is mostly over the morning sickness. It's just heartburn and general issues from getting bigger in the midsection!

I just re-read some of the responses, and if jazz is the focus I would recommend trying the two Concord Jazz SACD samplers. Because they're hybrid discs, they should be fairly easy to find (I got mine at Borders). It will provide a very good overview of Concord's artists, as well as how they do their surround mixing.

Another great one for sound quality is Swing Live from Bucky Pizzarelli. It from Chesky Records, and it literally takes you into a small jazz club. The overall imaging effect is excellent, and the music is good if you're into small ensemble swing standards (instruments consist of clarinet, vibraphone, guitar, bass, and drums).

Another good one to try is the Heads Up Jazzin' Surround sampler. Heads Up is Telarc's contemporary jazz label and they issue several of their albums in both CD and CD/SACD hybrid formats. The Yellowjackets, Hiroshima, and Spyro Gyra are among the artists that have recorded for that label. Heads Up tends to go with a very aggressive approach to multichannel mixing with very active use of the surrounds. Even if you don't like that surround approach, the sound quality of the two-channel mixes are top notch, especially on those albums originally recorded in DSD.

jrhymeammo
12-07-2006, 05:37 PM
I went out and got alot of music today, but I only picked up one SACD.

Marvin Gaye - Let's Get it On

I've never owned this album so I can't really compare it, but who cares.
This album doesnt really need the dynamic range SACD can offer. But the fact it is in much higher rez and was well mastered, I think people would enjoy this album tremendously.But I guess there is only so much engineers can do from old tapes.

Anyone here gotta SACD by John Legend? I already bought 20CDs, 1 LP and a SACD today, but I think I'm gonna go find a copy of that and Allyson Klauss tonight. I'm glad that I've been extremely busy, cuz I havent had time to spend any.:cornut:

Great thread,

JRA

jrhymeammo
12-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Acquired 3 SACD today, and here is what I've found in my environment.

Paul Gulda, Klavier - Gaby Pas van Riet Flote

This is a complilation of five 20th century composers which includes Gabriel Faure, Francis Poulenc, Darius Milhaud, Albert Roussel, and Charles Koechlin.

It's not a bad recording, but didnt really enjoy it too much because I'm pretty sick of classical music.

Bob Belden Black Dahlia

I didnt think Blue Notes had SACD out besides Coltrane and Norah Jones. Some of you might know that I'm a whore when it comes Blue Notes, but I did not enjoy this album at all. This disc sounds like it's trying to sound what it should be doing, but basically gives up. This post just goes to show you that you dont have to have a great system to reveal crappy recordings. I'm making it sound like it's the worst recording ever. It's really not that bad, but overall sound is pretty thin....

which leads me to the last album

Think like the Water - Gordon Grdina, Gary Peacock and Paul Motian

Not all tracks were my kinda music but I enjoyed it alot.

I dunno guys, at this point I'm enjoying CDs alot more than SACDs. I guess I'm just enjoying music I like, and which is a good thing. I did see alot of classical music on SACD today at Tower Reocrds, bu I'm not trying to buy music just because they are on SACD, cuz well......that's stupid.

I guess I'm back to internet shopping cuz I cant really find much in my 'hood. I havent tried CC or BB though. Maybe I'll go tommorow, but I'll only be buy one album. Better do some research first.

JRA

jrhymeammo
12-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Wow, it's no hype!!!

Virgin MS finally got Alison Krauss +US - New Favorite in stock. Holy Crap!!! She's a hot babe, but after hearing this album I understand why bobsticks wanted to hump luggn nuts of her Tour Bus.... I'll happily take sloppy 2nds when you get done with that.

JRA

topspeed
12-11-2006, 03:29 PM
It does, especially since it already sounded pretty good on regular old redbook.

I also have The Colour of Spring on SACD, and it sounds quite good as well. The drums just sound...I don't know...right.

This is interesting, because it is in the realm of percussion that I really notice the difference between sacd and rbcd. There is a certain roundness (sorry, don't know how to describe it) and body to the drums that isn't present in rbcd. This is easy to hear on hybrid discs that have both layers, such as John Mayer's Heavier Things, a recording that is certainly no slouch in rbcd format.

All of the best rec's have been taken, so unfortunately I've got nothing more to add. :(

bobsticks
12-12-2006, 05:53 AM
Wow, it's no hype!!!

Virgin MS finally got Alison Krauss +US - New Favorite in stock. Holy Crap!!! She's a hot babe, but after hearing this album I understand why bobsticks wanted to hump luggn nuts of her Tour Bus.... I'll happily take sloppy 2nds when you get done with that.

JRA

You got that wrong...I never said...you misunderstood....nevermind.

bobsticks
12-12-2006, 06:31 AM
. All of the best rec's have been taken, so unfortunately I've got nothing more to add. :(

Au contraire my friend, I still find some good new stuff occasionally. Two standouts from this weekend's haul are:

Pieter Wispelway & Dejan Lazic~Sonatas for Cello and Piano which includes work by Shostakovich and Prokofiev. This disc does a marvelous job capturing the tones of the piano, which is not the easiest thing to do. Dusty, you would appreciate this one. 2288

and

Frost~Mozart which includes WAM's Concerto in A and Quintet in Amajor fo rthe clarinet, which can be an interesting and under-utilized instrument in the genre. 2289

Interestingly, one disc that did not benefit from the SACD treatment was Nick Drake's A Treasury. I felt that increased resolution actually highlighted the many shortcomings of this recording. I liked and like the music very much but RBCD is the way to go on this one. As markw would say YMMV, but I doubt it.

Hey, JRA I don't know if your new Marantz machine plays DVD-A, but if it does do yourself a favor and check out some of the Classic Records 24/96 re-issues. In addition to the Hank Mobley that I mentioned, I have been checking out Art Davis' A Time Remembered. Both albums are redone superbly, perhaps to the equivalent of the Alison Krause that you heard.

Cheers

jrhymeammo
12-12-2006, 02:45 PM
My player is SACD/CD only. I briefly considered DV-7600. 7600 also plays true DSD(according to Marantz), but didnt make sense for me to pay the same amount on a player that does more. I figured I'll be getting better parts with a less verstile player. Anyways, I'm off to BB and CC to see if I can find some SACD titles.

JRA

PeruvianSkies
12-12-2006, 05:00 PM
My favorites are the following:

The Thorns
Mike Marshall GATOR STRUT
Elton John CAPTAIN FANTASTIC and GOODBYE YELLOWBRICK ROAD
Depeche Mode VIOLATOR and MUSIC FOR THE MASSES
Sarah Brightman LA LUNA
Beck SEA CHANGE
The Who's TOMMY

That being said I also have a few that are rather poor in terms of remixing...

I think that the Pink Floyd DARK SIDE OF THE MOON is higly overrated and I have read many negative reviews on it and would concur. Some of it is ok, but some parts are not really that well thought out. The Eric Claptons are also a mess as well with little life or energy coming through. The Aimee Mann SACD's are also (stereo only) and tend to be muddy in nature. The Rolling Stones catalog and the Peter Gabriel stuff was also so-so with alot of work still needed, especially on the Stones. I was not that impressed with the David Bowie mixes either, although the 5.1 mix on ZIGGY STARDUST was a bit more like it.

jrhymeammo
12-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Anyone here get SACD by CAN? I went to 4 different stores today, and came out emtpy handed. Trust me, that's huge!!!!

I think that the Pink Floyd DARK SIDE OF THE MOON is higly overrated
we finally agreed on something.... LOL!!!

btw, we need YES on SACD.
JRA

Woochifer
12-12-2006, 05:55 PM
[ Hey, JRA I don't know if your new Marantz machine plays DVD-A, but if it does do yourself a favor and check out some of the Classic Records 24/96 re-issues. In addition to the Hank Mobley that I mentioned, I have been checking out Art Davis' A Time Remembered. Both albums are redone superbly, perhaps to the equivalent of the Alison Krause that you heard.

Cheers

Actually, ANY DVD player will play Classic Records' 96/24 "DADs" because they all come with a DVD-V compatible layer that's completely open, with none of the copy protection restrictions that come with DVD-A. Nice thing about the Classic 96/24 releases is that you can EITHER output the signal digitally and let your receiver handle the bass management and other processing functions the exact same way as your other digital sources, OR output the signal using the analog outputs on your DVD player if it uses higher quality DACs than your receiver (like my DVD player does).

Classic Records' newer releases are flipper discs with a DVD-V side with a 96/24 track, and a DVD-A side with the audio encoded at 192/24 resolution.

I will agree that the Art Davis release sounds great (apparently it was simultaneous recorded onto a wide analog tape and a high res digital recorder, with the recording engineers opting to use the analog tape). But, that Hank Mobley disc is a jaw-dropping performance that sounds pretty good in its own right (although I've never liked how Rudy Van Gelder mics the pianos).

jrhymeammo
12-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Pickedup Saw Delight by CAN. Good Stuff!!! I could never find their stuff on wax, and their CDs arent that great so it was a good pick. Also...

Herbie Hancock Gershwin's World

I think bobsticks has this album but not sure. And all I can say is HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!! Ahhh.....HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

JRA

Dusty Chalk
12-14-2006, 02:50 AM
Anyone here get SACD by CAN? Yeah, I have a couple of them. They sound really good to me. I'll probably eventually get the whole set, but I started getting them right around when I moved, so I'm not sure of what I have.

shokhead
12-14-2006, 06:54 AM
All the cds remastered by Steve Hoffman of CCR on SACD are wayyyyy good. Some of the best i've got.

jrhymeammo
01-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I have a couple of them. They sound really good to me. I'll probably eventually get the whole set, but I started getting them right around when I moved, so I'm not sure of what I have.
Got Saw Delight and it keeps me happy compared to RBCDs, but no Cannibolisms on SACD:frown5:

Supreme Jazz Series are pretty terrible. I thought they sounded great, but not in my system.

PeruvianSkies
01-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Ok, so being the huge Depeche Mode fan that I am ...I finally ordered my imports of the Deluxe Edition SACD/DVD-Audio for BLACK CELEBRATION, A BROKEN FRAME, and SOME GREAT REWARD. I already owned the import versions of VIOLATOR, 101, and MUSIC FOR THE MASSES. The reason why I bought the imports rather than the U.S. editions is because here in the U.S. we were ripped off and the Deluxe Editions are redbook CD's instead of the 5.1 SACD's like outside the U.S.

My initial reactions are WOW and WOW. I have yet to get to the DVD-A portion, but the SACD 5.1 mixes are incredibly thought-out and make for a great listen and the resolution is so far and above the regular CD that you would swear it was a totally different album!

I can only hope that more talented bands get this type of treatment!

bobsticks
01-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Just got done with another listen to Al di Meola's new one Consequence of Chaos. To my relief this one is a little less like Kiss my Axe or Flesh on Flesh and much more like Elegant Gypsy. Lotta flamenco thrown in there. With the exception of a few disconcertingly bad keyboard voicings by Chick Corea (a la Najee) this is a sonic success. This one is gonna get mucho replays...

bobsticks
01-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Wooch, oh Wooch, are you out there Woochifer?

Thanks for the Bucky Pizzarelli Swing Live rec. Solid stuff. Have the Cheskys done anything that is subpar?

jrhymeammo
02-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Yellowjackets~Time Squared

Oh, that one. I swear I cannot retain info for sh*t.

I did learn a new word today though. The word is "slag"

" to describe a women (or more recently men) of loose morals of whom engage in casual sex and promiscuous behavior and even suspect of prostitution usually for a beer and a packet of crisps."

Thanks bobsticks.

bobsticks
02-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Oh, that one. I swear I cannot retain info for sh*t.

" to describe a women (or more recently men) of loose morals of whom engage in casual sex and promiscuous behavior and even suspect of prostitution usually for a beer and a packet of crisps."

Thanks bobsticks.

Yo Jayro,
What exactly are you implying with this post? For the record, I'm easy but I'm not cheap.

M

jrhymeammo
07-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Looks like Blue Note will be releasing SACD on selected titles. Only SACD I have from Blue Note is:

Bob Beldon - Black Dahlia
John Coltrane - Blue Train

I must say I've been extremely dissapointed from above titles. Let's hope new 25 titles will offer higher fidelity. Hell, this could actually bring SACD back from a near-extinction.
Also, SACD, Robert Sparno - City Scape by Telarc has been dissapointing as well. Very thin and life-less sound.

Has anyone picked up any new SACD that you recommend?

bobsticks
07-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Jaybo, are ya out there?

You might want to pick up Doc Powell's 97th and Columbus...light stuff from some serious jazz heaveyweights--Marcus Miller, George Benson, Doc himself--oh yeah. Not Kenny Burrell kinda jazz guitar but if you like "Breezin'" you'll love it. The imaging will make you cry.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WOxSw1iIL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

HyFi would absolutely love this. It's true, oh yes, it's true.

JohnMichael
07-28-2008, 05:25 PM

Thanks bobsticks.

now if it were wine and crisps I would have a new name.

jrhymeammo
07-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Jaybo, are ya out there?

You might want to pick up Doc Powell's 97th and Columbus...light stuff from some serious jazz heaveyweights--Marcus Miller, George Benson, Doc himself--oh yeah. Not Kenny Burrell kinda jazz guitar but if you like "Breezin'" you'll love it. The imaging will make you cry.

HyFi would absolutely love this. It's true, oh yes, it's true.

Not my cup of tea. I found this SACD while back, and was fairly geeked until I pushed play. Great fidelity though.

JRA