Receiver Output (RCA). Pro Sound Input (XLR). [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Output (RCA). Pro Sound Input (XLR).

jbandpc
02-10-2004, 07:49 AM
I have a receiver with an RCA subwoofer output and I'm going to use a PA-style amp for my subwoofer. The receiver has RCA outputs and the amp has XLR or 1/4" inputs.

Do I need one of these? http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?Product_ID=3301

...or is there a simpler solution?

I've read to try to avoid 1/4" inputs, since they were designed for constant plugging and unplugging rather than for good, solid contact.

poneal
02-12-2004, 02:13 PM
I think that will do the trick. If the 1/4" jacks are unbalanced then all you would need is a 99 cent radio shack rca to 1/4" mono adapter. IMO that you probably will not hear a difference. The XLR balanced inputs are intended for use in long cable runs (and I mean longer than 15') so that the cable doesn't act like an antenna. Some pro amps have module like devices that can be switched out (crown) so that you can order it with the RCA instead of XLR or 1/4".

This Guy
02-12-2004, 03:47 PM
I agree with poneal, just get an rca to 1/4" adapter from the rat shack. If it doesn't work well you can always buy the thing in your link.

pelly3s
02-12-2004, 04:45 PM
If you can solder get a length of cable and an XLR and an RCA end and make your own cable. Then wire pin 2 on the XLR to the center pin of the RCA connector and split the shield or ground drain between pins 1 and 3 on the XLR to the sleeve of the RCA. Or you can go to any pro audio shop and get an adapter to go from RCA to XLR, Hosa and Horizon both sell cables and adapters to do what you need.

XLR connectors are used as a more secure connection. A balanced cable is used not only to prevent RF signal, which a shielded unbalanced cable can do too, it is also used to provide more gain than an unbalanced cable since it has both + and - and not just a + signal.