I was fixing to throw my TV away. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I was fixing to throw my TV away.

jrhymeammo
12-03-2006, 12:06 PM
So my 32" Sony CRT started flashing about 3 weeks ago. It all started about every 5 minutes to now every 2 seconds. But now, if I watch it with everything turned all the way down(Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Color adn etc.), it will play without flashing as long as I'm watching programs that doesnt have fast moving programs. But I could only watch it at night when I had all the lights turned off. My place was becoming more and more ghetto than ever before.........

Well I was going to call Comcast and cancel my service, then drag that thing outside somehow(I live on a 3rd floor). But for some reason I decided to plug in my DVD player and see what happens. It wasnt flashing so I gradually turned up my contrast and everything else. So far so good..... Now all the function is on fullblast, and it's not flashing at all. Thank Goodness!!!!!!!!!!!! It wasnt my SONY made back in 1996. I was starting to wonder about that, cuz I'm sure some members here still use TVs made more than 10+ years ago.

I also just plugged in TV coaxal straight in the back and everything looks fine too. I'm such a DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Say it with me if you can "jrhymeammo is a DUMBASS!!!!!!"

-jrhymumbass

markw
12-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Was it the cable box or what? What were you passing the signal through.

Up until a month or so ago, I never needed a cable box. I just split the incoming cable frrd to whatever devices needed it, mainly VCR's and TV's. I never "passed " the signal through any devices. I would watch the output of the VCR via comopsite inputs on the TV but, aside from setting up the VCR and its timer, these were generally just recorded tapes.

Now that I got a "digital HD" box, things change somewhat but the cable box is the only thing the signal passes through and it goes straight to the TV. The VCR still only gets the basic stations I had before "Digital HD" but I can live with that.

jrhymeammo
12-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Cable box could've contributed to my problem. I watched Ghost Dog for about 45 minutes wihtout any problem, then flashed started again. DAMNIT!!!!

I had the main signal feeding into my cable box, and into the SONY. This is crazy I'm can't understand it. How did it play the movie in full color without a problem for almost an hour, then start again.

JRA

Dusty Chalk
12-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Get it serviced, dude. CRTs are so much better than LCDs.

jrhymeammo
12-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Im considering to get a new TV early next year. I really want a LCD but moving pictures kinda suck towards the edge. But really. if it's going to cost more than $200 to get it fixed, then I'll just get a new one.

Sorry, my generation doesnt know the anything about values of things

edtyct
12-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Money aside, ten years from a CRT is pretty good. Though some live longer, eventually the electron beam and phoshors go south. The TV seems to revive a little when you give the give the light source a rest, but after a point, it acts up again. I hate to say it, but the time may have come for another TV. Service at this point may be a losing financial proposition--that is, even if a fix is possible.

Dusty Chalk
12-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Im considering to get a new TV early next year. I really want a LCD but moving pictures kinda suck towards the edge. But really. if it's going to cost more than $200 to get it fixed, then I'll just get a new one.

Sorry, my generation doesnt know the anything about values of thingsWell, at least pass it off to someone who appreciates it, even if locally via Freecycle or Craig's List.

jrhymeammo
12-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Hey Dusty, thanks for that PM. But I think I'll consider your advice above. If I can get someone to come and pick it up, that'll save my back.

JRA

Dusty Chalk
12-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Sure, make it a requirement -- "you can have it, but you have to come and get it".

jrhymeammo
12-04-2006, 06:07 PM
That was my plan. I'm not carrying it all the way out just for someone else's interest. I'm not that nice anymore...

Anyways, good looking out D. Thanks

JRA