Best 20 GB Non-Ipod Player? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best 20 GB Non-Ipod Player?

dumbagain
12-02-2006, 11:50 AM
looking to get a 20gb (+/-10gb) player thats not an ipod.

any suggestions?

was considering the iriver h10. the player doesnt need video.

audio_dude
12-02-2006, 12:23 PM
well, why non ipod? the 30gig iPod is probably the best you can get... and with the recent price drop, its a steal!

N. Abstentia
03-21-2007, 06:03 AM
Check out the Zune..cheaper than iPod and much better! Plus it's 30 gigs :)

Luvin Da Blues
03-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Here we go again....ROFLMAO

bonethugz
03-21-2007, 06:34 AM
an ipod owner here, actually 2. both 4G ipod. my suggestion? if you have no intention getting an amp, specially through lineout. don't get any ipod. my cheap 80 dollar 1G samsung yp-u2 beat ipod easy. i think go with any i-audio or i-river. i heard x5 and it's great.

audio_dude
03-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Check out the Zune..cheaper than iPod and much better! Plus it's 30 gigs :)

wrong again jackass... yes, it is a bit cheaper, but its only better in YOUR opinion, its ALL personal preference... ask any iPod owner what he thinks of the zune, and he'll say it sucks... same goes for zune owners with iPods...

now, if you REALLY want non iPod... maybe a creative zen? (although the menu system is great, and they slimmed it down, i still find the controls very counter-intuitive.)

N. Abstentia
03-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Thank you for your comments, Mr. "I've never even seen a Zune". Next time stick with a subject you know something about and stay out of this forum.

audio_dude
03-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Thank you for your comments, Mr. "I've never even seen a Zune". Next time stick with a subject you know something about and stay out of this forum.

dude, i wrote this AFTER i did my zune testing :ciappa:

N. Abstentia
03-23-2007, 03:27 AM
Touching a Zune at WalMart does not constitute 'testing'. If that were the case, that means you also 'tested' all the ladies underwear while you were there. But hey..you're getting closer! You got to see what a Zune looks like and you finally touched female undergarments.

audio_dude
03-24-2007, 08:30 AM
what are YOU smoking?

first, my testing involed actual audio tests (with my Shure e2c earphones) with the same song on the zune and 30gig iPod... god bless futureshop.

i tested the controls, everything. After about an hour they kicked me out of the store cause they knew i wasn't going to buy anything :P

N. Abstentia
03-24-2007, 10:34 AM
What? The way it was explained to me you were REMOVED from Futureshop when you got irate because they would not let you trade your iPod for a Zune. Tell it right.

audio_dude
03-24-2007, 01:24 PM
What? The way it was explained to me you were REMOVED from Futureshop when you got irate because they would not let you trade your iPod for a Zune. Tell it right.

:hand: nah, they just asked me to leave cause i was all OVER those new nanos :smilewinkgrin:

thomasward00
03-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Get a Zune, I have one along with a Xenos amp and Grado SR-60. Couldn't be happier.

Oh and make sure to subscribe to the marketplace all you can eat option, buy Soundtaxi. Dowload all the music you want, then you just convert it all to unprotected MP3, i've downloaded and converted over 200 gigs of music in 1 month, its a much better option than limewire.

audio_dude
03-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Get a Zune, I have one along with a Xenos amp and Grado SR-60. Couldn't be happier.

Oh and make sure to subscribe to the marketplace all you can eat option, buy Soundtaxi. Dowload all the music you want, then you just convert it all to unprotected MP3, i've downloaded and converted over 200 gigs of music in 1 month, its a much better option than limewire.

so what program are you using to convert all those PROTECTED mp3's to unprotected ones?

N. Abstentia
03-26-2007, 04:32 PM
you've got a PM, thomasward :)

audio_dude
03-26-2007, 05:30 PM
the only thing thomasward has posted is spam about him having a Zune, Xenos headamp and grade sr60 phones...

emorphien
03-26-2007, 09:15 PM
audio_dude, I'm beginning to wonder if Apple pays you. Running in here and calling a Zune fan a jackass and being upset that he said the same thing about the Zune that you did about the iPod? Get over yourself, please!

Now, IMO I'd pick an iAudio or iRiver over the iPod as well, unfortunately iRiver doesn't really do large jukebox players anymore (I have an iHP-120 and 4gb black Clix both of which I love and the former is almost 3.5 years old and still kicking just fine). The Zune is also quite nice and the Creatives seem to be pretty good but I am not fond of their interface and I imagine the software sucks, since for Creative software is never a strongpoint.

I certainly agree that most of those are better sounding players, a headphone amp does help an iPod, but it helps them too so it's really a matter of what you want, which interface you like and if size matters. Most of them are small enough that it's not a big issue to me but nothing beats handling them for a bit. Now if you're to use the line out on the iPod then that's sometimes an advantage, but then for example if I wanted to, I'd use the optical output on my iHP-120 and get a DAC and an amp. To me that defeats the purpose of these devices.